Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

Since so many people are ranting about how disappointing the Scouts are and how they might not make top 12, go ahead and predict that they will get beat by Crossmen next!

They WILL get beat by Crossmen next.

• Like 1

Since so many people are ranting about how disappointing the Scouts are and how they might not make top 12, go ahead and predict that they will get beat by Crossmen next!

If it doesn't happen in Atlanta it surely will come Allentown. Contest dynamics are the only reason it didn't happen last night, and why there's any kind of spread.

It's sarcasm; as some seem to have the high and mighty ideal that the Scouts are the only "acceptable" world class corps in the state.

I believe it should read "someone seems"......Only one person has listed his total disappointment in the Scouts for falling below his acceptable "Blue Star" line. Believe me this is not the opinion of die hard Scout alumni. Numerous Scouts have been members and staff of the Blue Stars and have many friends who have marched in the Blue Stars. As someone who grew up in an era when there were more drum corps in Wisconsin than you could count I have always cheered for all Wisconsin corps. Best of luck to the Blue Stars this year wherever they end up and here's hoping the Scouts can make the changes needed to push back up in the "standings".

Edited by bass5
  • Like 4

It's funny you say that... Soup was my least favorite part of that show, which I absolutely loved. Weird.

It's one of those shows I did like musically, but I honestly can't remember much about. Like 1983 Cadets minus Rocky Point, or most Blue Knights shows. I go out of the experience legitimately enjoying it, but in terms of recalling what I just watched I find myself lost to latch on to anything. I know they opened with the Open Wide solo fanfare, but aside from that I'm totally blanking on any sort of themes they played. I think they quoted one of the pit riffs later in the BD 2002 show... Maybe it was Great Divide? I can't remember.

The fact that I remember Strawberry Soup the most is probably more because I already know that tune incredibly well.

It's sarcasm; as some seem to have the high and mighty ideal that the Scouts are the only "acceptable" world class corps in the state.

Take it however you want I guess, but the fact remains, if the Scouts are getting beat by the Blue Stars this year, something has gone terribly wrong. Also, if you'll remember, the FIRST time that happened a few years ago, the Blue Stars fans were nearly intolerable over it and many showed up in Scouts threads to gloat and essentially make ##### of themselves, so I'm not too incredibly concerned what they think or how they feel.

• Like 2

Take it however you want I guess, but the fact remains, if the Scouts are getting beat by the Blue Stars this year, something has gone terribly wrong. Also, if you'll remember, the FIRST time that happened a few years ago, the Blue Stars fans were nearly intolerable over it and many showed up in Scouts threads to gloat and essentially make ##### of themselves, so I'm not too incredibly concerned what they think or how they feel.

I can think of someone else making an *** of themself... (themselves?)

• Like 3

Thin skin.

Take it however you want I guess, but the fact remains, if the Scouts are getting beat by the Blue Stars this year, something has gone terribly wrong.

Well, let's be honest...there's a number of corps that feel that way anytime they get beat by the Madison Scouts.

• Like 4

if you're going to play Fanfare for the New, you better play it better than the 1979 Guardsmen -- and Madison unfortunately doesn't.

• Like 2