Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

Kamarag is right: The old time standard which extended into the 1980s was 11 minutes 30 seconds to 13 minutes. The gun went off at 11:30 signaling all execution judges to stop their work and only general effect judging took place during the remaining minute and a half.

Arent todays shows about 12 minutes?

Next time you get a chance, go onto YouTube and find a video of either Let it Be Me from 1978/1979 Spirit of Atlanta or Softly as I Leave You by the 1980/1981 Cavaliers so you can see the value of creating emotion and impact by playing an entire piece of music. Both of these pieces begin as beautiful ballads and build to ear-splitting emotional climaxes which left audiences nearly speechless.

I'll go with "Ice Castles" thank you very much.

• Like 1

In other news related to Madison, love the drumline this year. Like what Bedis is doing there.

I too like the Scouts drum line, but 7 snares & 3 tenors is unnacceptable.

11:30 is the max performance time.

Now we have pre-shows instead to streeeeetch that sucker out.

Now we have pre-shows instead to streeeeetch that sucker out.

We've had pre-shows on the books officially since 2009 (when they instituted the 17 minute performance block that included your entrance and exit. From 86-08 anything you did was considered unofficial and was part of your minimal set up time (it's a bit more complex than that in reality, but still).

Sorry there have been illnesses and injuries.

Those numbers were not intended.

The 8 snare line that was intended for this year ended with a meniscus tear. And they were marching 4 tenors much of the season.

Take it however you want I guess, but the fact remains, if the Scouts are getting beat by the Blue Stars this year, something has gone terribly wrong. Also, if you'll remember, the FIRST time that happened a few years ago, the Blue Stars fans were nearly intolerable over it and many showed up in Scouts threads to gloat and essentially make ##### of themselves, so I'm not too incredibly concerned what they think or how they feel.

If you look at the recap...that guard score is what really placed the Scouts under the Blue Stars...and at the end, only by 0.3. Every other caption was a back and forth between the two corps.

Take it however you want I guess, but the fact remains, if the Scouts are getting beat by the Blue Stars this year, something has gone terribly wrong. Also, if you'll remember, the FIRST time that happened a few years ago, the Blue Stars fans were nearly intolerable over it and many showed up in Scouts threads to gloat and essentially make ##### of themselves, so I'm not too incredibly concerned what they think or how they feel.

Ahhh, the old "they started it" routine. What are you, five years old?

This is all very simple. It's about being respectful. And no matter how upset we all get about certain competitive things from time to time, all corps deserve respect. Here....

"The fact remains, if the Scouts are sitting in 11th place, something has gone terribly wrong."

See how easy that was? No reason to even bring the Blue Stars (or any other corps) into it because the Blue Stars are not the issue. The Madison Scouts are.

• Like 1