Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

Hey good point, and good find. I had forgotten that Blue Devils opened with this in '87. I just played it, and as one would surmise, with their brass line, it sounds awsome.

After hearing all three of those versions of the tune, I think Madison will be able to do it justice in 2014 if it's pretty close to the other versions arrangement wise.

I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Edited by jjeffeory

Great tune!

I kind of liked the piece in 19/8...that he counted off 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2,1-2,1-2, 1, 1-2, 1-2, 1-2 in concert. I saw him live with his full jazz orchestra back around 1973...he had two drummers, plus he also had a set himself that he played in a few tunes.

Great tune!

I kind of liked the piece in 19/8...that he counted off 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2,1-2,1-2, 1, 1-2, 1-2, 1-2 in concert. I saw him live with his full jazz orchestra back around 1973...he had two drummers, plus he also had a set himself that he played in a few tunes.

That chart is actually titled "33 222 1 222" and there are certain sections I would love to hear on the field!

Edited by 84BDsop
  • Like 1

For the good of the activity, I am hoping that the Scouts have success this upcoming season with a Jazz show & that other Corps will decide to play Jazz too.I am very very tired of the Symphonic Concerto for String, Banjo & Harp based on a variation on a theme of dissonace and playingasmanynotesaspossible.

Edited by FlamMan
  • Like 2

For the good of the activity, I am hoping that the Scvouts have success this upcoming season with a Jazz show & that other Corps will decide to play Jazz too.I am very very tired of the Symphonic Concerto for String, Banjo & Harp based on a variation on a theme of dissonace and playingasmanynotesaspossible.

Actually, this portion of what you said does describe some of the music Don Ellis performed, fyi. Amazing stuff! And...his jazz ensemble that I saw live included a full string section and french horns.

• Like 1

Actually, this portion of what you said does describe some of the music Don Ellis performed, fyi. Amazing stuff! And...his jazz ensemble that I saw live included a full string section and french horns.

And lets not mention that fact that he embraced experimentation with electronics within his brass sound. :wow:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Scouts made an announcement of offering scholarships for lead trumpet with ability to play double g consistently. So either the brass book is above the ability of anyone currently on or these solo and ensembles that are written for a different era of drum corps when the screamers were more prevalent. Either way hope they find the talent and don't have to water down the book. Sounds like multiple spots are needed.