Could a corps win best percussion without a battery?

To answer the OP...NO. That is until a G7 corps decides to not march a battery, then petitions the judging community and lobbies the rules committee to allow for a win. Five years later then YES.

To answer the OP...NO. That is until a G7 corps decides to not march a battery, then petitions the judging community and lobbies the rules committee to allow for a win. Five years later then YES.

Please show us where it states in the DCI rule book, or anywhere on the judges sheets, where a corps 'has to have' a marching battery; and also where it states that a corps without a marching battery must be scored down or penalized accordingly. Unless that can be shown a strong case can be made that a judge cannot and must not discriminate between a corps with a marching battery and one without a marching battery.

I think Tarpon Springs has gone without field percussion in the last few years, and always seem to do pretty well. No where does it say that you need a drumline, you could just go with a pit set-up with the necessary instruments. No need to try and get 8 snares in tune and in time, just one pit person with a mic. Not that I'm on board with the idea, just saying it hypothetically could happen.

I don't think BOA judges percussion as a separate caption: just evaluated overall in the music captions. In the case of BOA, I imagine not having a battery would not be a deal-breaker as far as effect, assuming you could generate similar/better effect and impact w/just stationary percussion.

In DCI, where there are pretty clear criteria on the percussion sheets, I think it would be difficult for a percussion section w/out a battery to win High Percussion. It's not impossible, and in WGI Aimachi showed a unit could be wildly inventive w/out a full-time marching percussion section. Obviously WGI is an entirely different medium than DCI but with the right tweaking some corps could make it work

• Like 1

And a cockatoo playing a tambourine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epCqnLn6G7k#t=39

Are non-human animals allowed by DCI rules? I recall a DCA corps having problems w/ a flock of birds some years back. And, what would Hoppy do if there was bird poop on the field & Cadet were next to perform?

• Like 1

If you can win percussion without marching then you can also win brass without marching. Future Idea for BD: Take a small brass ensemble consisting of one player for each category of brass instruments, do the same for percussion, ground them on the back sideline with microphones, very loud amps, and a sound engineer running the sound board; they can focus just on Music Performance and Music GE. Then place all others out on the field, using the best artistic dancers you can find from all over the world, and have them do extraordinary choreography and body movements both with and without props; they can just focus on the Visual Performance and Visual GE. Can we say ‘Winner’!?!?!

I fully agree - this will happen at some point given the path we are on. Perhaps on the way to my synthesizer idea.

I recall way back in 1983 one of our instructors had the idea of marching 30 horns and 16 perc, plant them between the 40's and front hash, and surround them with about 70 guard. Let the guard do all the marching, and design the drill to keep the judges as far from the musicians as possible.

Please show us where it states in the DCI rule book, or anywhere on the judges sheets, where a corps 'has to have' a marching battery; and also where it states that a corps without a marching battery must be scored down or penalized accordingly. Unless that can be shown a strong case can be made that a judge cannot and must not discriminate between a corps with a marching battery and one without a marching battery.

It is in the sheets.

http://issuu.com/drumcorpsinternational/docs/2012_judging_sheets_full_set/16?e=0

Music Percussion - Content

"To what degree do the performers demonstrate simultaneous or layered responsibilities of playing an instrument, moving in and through forms, listening and responding to others, and manipulating body position."

"What is the range of musical, physical and environmental challenges."

Music Percussion - Achievement

"considering all challenges, do the performers demonstrate musicality, precision and accuracy"

So it doesn't say they "have to have it" but if 2 ensembles are equally proficient, but one is moving ... winner, winner, PB&J dinner.

Edited by mingusmonk

Are non-human animals allowed by DCI rules? I recall a DCA corps having problems w/ a flock of birds some years back. And, what would Hoppy do if there was bird poop on the field & Cadet were next to perform?

as long as the bird poop doesn't cover the hash marks it"s all good

It is in the sheets.

http://issuu.com/drumcorpsinternational/docs/2012_judging_sheets_full_set/16?e=0

Music Percussion - Content

"To what degree do the performers demonstrate simultaneous or layered responsibilities of playing an instrument, moving in and through forms, listening and responding to others, and manipulating body position."

"What is the range of musical, physical and environmental challenges."

Music Percussion - Achievement

"considering all challenges, do the performers demonstrate musicality, precision and accuracy"

So it doesn't say they "have to have it" but if 2 ensembles are equally proficient, but one is moving ... winner, winner, PB&J dinner.

According to the judging sheets you provided, they do not indicate what type of percussion instruments have to be used, nor do the sheets indicate that they have to be ‘marching’. All a percussion ensemble has to do is perform some type of choreographed form movement (ie dance moves can be considered as 'form' movement) while playing, which certainly can be accomplished in a concert type percussion ensemble without performers actually ‘marching’; and even do this without battery type instruments. Therefore, according to the sheets, a corps with a marching battery and a corps without a marching battery should be judged equally as long as both corps’ percussion performers are exhibiting some type of form movement choreography while playing.

Edited by Stu

Problem wasn't bird poop... it was the birds refused to leave...... "Oh yeah.. they don't fly at night".

s/ eyewitness.... and my old corps was involved... OY!