Crown vs. BD this year

From what I hear BD clobbered them in prelims but choked in semi's and finals. Hornline issues I guess. They were neck and neck all season though. I'm glad i got to see Crown live. Their hornline really had a clarity to it. With that young of a drumline they can only get better.

While BD did win prelims, and a win is a win, I'm not sure I would consider a 97.2 for Blue Devils compared to a 97.05 for Crown a "clobbering." It may have felt like one for Crown, but I remember thinking after both shows it would be too close to call and probably felt that way at semi's and finals though BD did seem off at finals but I would say visually more than musically and Crown's performance had a confidence you could feel although there were a few noticeable errors.

Edited by Tim K

If we are talking from an enjoyment level, they are both pretty close in my opinion. Although I enjoyed 3 other shows more than I did Crown or BD. I thought from a pure enjoyment standpoint, it was SCV, Cadets, Cavaliers, Crown and BD, in that order. If you eliminate the really crappy shades of Cadets Sara Jones narration, I would put Crown above Cavaliers for enjoyment, but it didn't work for Cadets in my opinion a few years ago, and doesn't work for me with Crown this year. The counting was ok, as it is in the original work that way, and was performed very well, but I didn't really like it in the original piece that well either. I thought the top 4 scores should have also been a lot closer than they were, and in my opinion, Crown should have won brass, Cadets percussion, BD colorguard, SCV overall Music GE, and I am honestly not completely sure that Cadets shouldn't have won. Didn't think I would have been saying that at the beginning of the season. But I did think the top 4 were absolutely amazing this season. But definitely one of the weirdest seasons for the top 4. SCV doing an old Cadets show, Cadets using old SCV and Star music, and Crown using what seems to be the Blue Devils formula with Cadets really crappy narration added in.

• Like 3

BD wasn't programed for me, the guy who sees one or two shows a season and doesn't re-visit video and audio recordings. I can see the judges liking it after multiple viewings, and fans finally "getting it" after watching dozens of times. The award for first is given on the field, the award for classic is giving years after the fact. Time will tell.

• Like 1

Honestly, I preferred BD to Crown this year, and felt they should have won. That being said, i can see why crown won.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed both shows. For me, this was Blue Devil's "best" show in a long time, and while Crown's show had more depth than any show they've ever done I preferred some of their other shows more. But if I have to chose only one of the two, I would have to think long and hard because I really enjoyed both of them

Crown...I liked all the way around (although I've liked their drill design from some older years better...and I think their guard was lost this year).. BD..I really liked their visual package, but couldn't watch with the sound on..that just ruined it for me..I just don't enjoy the dissonance and choppiness...but visually...like I said...they did some pretty good stuff,...

Edited by G-Rott

I liked Crown and I loved BD (which is something I haven't said for a while).

I can't wait to get my DVD and watch BD over and over as there was so much going on that I'm sure I missed a lot.

Of yeah - BD won't be on my copy of the DVD.

Oh well...

As a Crown alum I know I'm biased, but from an entertainment perspective I have it SCV, Crown, Cadets, Phantom,<distance>, BD. I think BD put on a more entertaining show than the last few years. I get the score and placement, just from a subjective entertainment value I didn't enjoy it. I also think that if I hadn't been so invested in Crown's show it would be below the Cadets.

Does anyone feel like they enjoy BD more than Crown this year? I've been watching BD a lot since finals, and I find it pretty stunning. The combination and coordination of so many elements, the effects created through amplification and electronics, and the source music all combine into a powerful package. I love how they play with expected forms--musically, visually, choreographically. For example, many "traditional" drill moves and marching techniques are absent, but the individual responsibilities of the performers are still impressive. I'm beginning to wonder if BD vs. Crown is was a bit like Star vs. Cadets in 1993. Cadets won with a pretty conventional "higher, faster, harder, louder" design, but BD on repeated viewing accomplished some very daring and effective things exceptionally well. Anyone with me?

Agree. BD was a much better corps than Crown. Shocked Crown won. Personally thought they should have been in 3rd and not close to BD at all.

• Like 2