Dem purple pants!

So, Crown's pants are already legendary...I'm sure it was noticed that they were cut very tight, dance-like. I heard on here that dance belts/jock straps were used to keep things PG...any more details on that?

What about other uniform underthings? In Capital Regiment, our director had us wear plain black T-shirts and tight black running/bike shorts. This was to keep underwear from bunching up and to create a smooth look; he said he learned this from Jeff Fiedler.

In The Cadets, we were more complicated. We had to wear "show whites": a white tee cut off at the navel (to prevent bunching), white briefs/panties, and elastic white semi-tights to make sure no other color came through the pants. Also, tuck them into the calf-high white athletic socks. PHew! The smell of sweaty show whites was unbearable....

Any other insights?

• Like 1

So, Crown's pants are already legendary...I'm sure it was noticed that they were cut very tight, dance-like. I heard on here that dance belts/jock straps were used to keep things PG...any more details on that?

What about other uniform underthings? In Capital Regiment, our director had us wear plain black T-shirts and tight black running/bike shorts. This was to keep underwear from bunching up and to create a smooth look; he said he learned this from Jeff Fiedler.

In The Cadets, we were more complicated. We had to wear "show whites": a white tee cut off at the navel (to prevent bunching), white briefs/panties, and elastic white semi-tights to make sure no other color came through the pants. Also, tuck them into the calf-high white athletic socks. PHew! The smell of sweaty show whites was unbearable....

Any other insights?

Geez it was a NIGHTMARE!!!

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1

As usual with the uniforms we had to wear these tan unitards, which I guess had the same effect as the "show whites" with the Cadets. The jock straps weren't mandatory at first, but after our first uniformed performance (in Arkansas I think?), the administration cleared out a couple of sportswear stores and told us what's what. After that, it was jock strap and unitard, then the uniform. Some didn't care, others seemed to have a problem remembering what happened to their jock straps...

I'd prefer not to ever have to see costumes like that again on the field but I'm pretty sure I will.

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 2

I now know more about drum corps undergarments than I really need to know.

Certain corps, including my friends at Crown, do have rather tight fitting garments. I'm sure that it's a speed and agility kind of thing as to why they are selected and when I see corps live, I do not notice. It is noticeable in photos and when watching a DVD or Fan Network. Now I will readily admit that I am not a fashion expert, but for my tastes pants that are looser fitting look classier. Guards can wear whatever works best, but even here some discretion would be wise.

My question is "Does it really make a difference to the judges?" While Crown did win it all last year, I didn't hear too many people rave about the uniforms and those that did not seem to mind the uniforms didn't necessarily like them as much as believed they helped visually (in 2012 many people believed that the crème colored uniforms looked better but did not add enough visually), but did the tightness really help? My guess si that tight uniform pants did not propel Crown into first place.

It's about the look. Tighter pants look slim, graceful, and athletic; dance-like. Baggy pants look like the Garfield Cadets in the 80s.

I'm thinking more BD or SCV of this past year. They are not as loose as the 80's Cadets but not as revealing as what a few corps wore this year, or at least do not appear to be. Also tighter might look "slim, graceful, athletic, and dance like" on a kid with the build of a soccer player. On those who are built more like line backers, who are athletic or they wouldn't have been in the corps in the first place, they don't look slim.