How are Colts able to maintain more than one corps?

The Colts are a true youth based org. Simple as that.

The Colts are a true youth based org. Simple as that.

So the Colts, as a 'true' youth based organization, use youth as instructors, administrators, food and transportation; thus. as a 'true' youth based organization, they do not pay adults to do any of those services? The Colts may not place as much emphasis on winning and securing the best of the best youth as do other corps, but they are no more a 'true' youth based organization than all other corps in DCI who utilize youth as performers and adults as staff.

Edited by Stu

So the Colts, as a 'true' youth based organization, use youth as instructors, administrators, food and transportation; thus. as a 'true' youth based organization, they do not pay adults to do any of those services? The Colts may not place as much emphasis on winning and securing the best of the best youth as do other corps, but they are no more a 'true' youth based organization than all other corps in DCI who utilize youth as performers and adults as staff.

May I ask, what the point was in the bitter tone of your reply? Do the Colts threaten you?

As for your statement "The Colts may not place as much emphasis on winning and securing the best of the best youth as do other corps, but they are no more a 'true' youth based organization than all other corps in DCI who utilize youth as performers and adults as staff." I would beg to differ since this thread acknowledges that the Colts find a way to support a feeder corps for kids that are too young to compete at the World Class level.

• Like 1

May I ask, what the point was in the bitter tone of your reply? Do the Colts threaten you?

No bitter tone; I like, nay, love the Colts. Just pointing out that all DCI corps, not just the Colts, all are 'true' youth based and 'true' youth oriented organizations because all DCI corps utilize youth performers.

As for your statement "The Colts may not place as much emphasis on winning and securing the best of the best youth as do other corps, but they are no more a 'true' youth based organization than all other corps in DCI who utilize youth as performers and adults as staff." I would beg to differ since this thread acknowledges that the Colts find a way to support a feeder corps for kids that are too young to compete at the World Class level.

And I beg to differ! Both SCV and BD provide the same feeder corps type services for youth too young or too inexperienced to perform at the WC level, especially BDC, and both the SCV and BD organizations have a plethora of young-youth oriented community activities apart from drum corps in which the Colts do not provide. The Madison Scouts also has a great young-youth community-based program, as does Crown.

Edited by Stu

bitter? Please, Stu held back!

bitter? Please, Stu held back!

Thanksgiving and the Christmas season sort of keeps me in check; tryin' to get off that naughty list before Christmas morning. (However, I do have a great collection of coal lumps I have received over the years)!

I think a corps such as Colts being praised for having a feeder corps does not discredit other organizations.

Also the emphasis not being on winning does not make them all that different either. Every corps, at least on paper and the information on their websites states that personal growth, excellence, a once in a lifetime experience, or some other wording is used as the purpose of the corps. The often vilified Blue Devils have a rather warm and fuzzy mission statement and Carolina Crown, the newbies on the vilification block now that they have won a title, prides itself on training music educators, performance artists, and leaders of tomorrow. Music educators are in general selfless and will never be listed on the Fortune 500, and as far as "leaders of tomorrow" how does that make them different from Boy Scouts, Girls Scouts, National Honor Society, or Key Clubs.

I think a corps such as Colts being praised for having a feeder corps does not discredit other organizations.

Also the emphasis not being on winning does not make them all that different either. Every corps, at least on paper and the information on their websites states that personal growth, excellence, a once in a lifetime experience, or some other wording is used as the purpose of the corps. The often vilified Blue Devils have a rather warm and fuzzy mission statement and Carolina Crown, the newbies on the vilification block now that they have won a title, prides itself on training music educators, performance artists, and leaders of tomorrow. Music educators are in general selfless and will never be listed on the Fortune 500, and as far as "leaders of tomorrow" how does that make them different from Boy Scouts, Girls Scouts, National Honor Society, or Key Clubs.

The question left unanswered in those mission statements is WHO gets to benefit. The Colts will deal with less talent to better serve what they perceive is their target audience. As long as this happens, they won't ever win DCI. However, no one in the organization believes for a second that the goal of the Colts is to win DCI.

Now I'll just wait for Stu because I know he's coming... :P

• Like 1