Pavane for a Dead Princess

Lately I saw a high school marching band do quite a credible job with one of my favorite pieces of music, Maurice Ravel's Pavane pour une infante defunte ("Pavane for a Dead Princess"). Thus was I reminded that this song is supposedly part of the repertoire of the Blue Stars' 2008 show "Le Tour: Every Second Counts". While I adore that show and have listened to it a couple dozen times, at least, I've never been able to pick out that particular tune in their mix. (This work should not be confused with Gabriel Faure's lovely Pavane that was used in the Stars' preshow that year.)

Did they in fact play Ravel's Pavane, or was it announced but not used? If it's in there, can anyone tell me at which point I should be listening for it?

(FYI, those with DCA Fan Network subscriptions can hear a corps play this piece: the Yokohama Inspires senior corps took fifth place at DCA Finals in 2002 with a program that included Ravel's mournful ditty.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

I just watched the entire show and couldn't hear any part of the piece in it. I wonder if it was listed in pre-season materials then got cut.

I beleive it was their pre-show as they came on to the field. Therefore, it may not appear on the recordings.

I beleive it was their pre-show as they came on to the field. Therefore, it may not appear on the recordings.

Thanks. Is that even before their preshow in the left (side 1) endzone, when they play the Faure piece? That part is on the video, at least.

The Fauré was the pre-show, and it's on the recording.

I think you just got it confused with Faure's Pavane. The Faure was the one that was part of their program.

Uh, that's what I wrote...that the Fauré was part of their program. Or are you addressing that to the OP?

I just watched the entire show and couldn't hear any part of the piece in it. I wonder if it was listed in pre-season materials then got cut.

Thanks. I think that must be it: the CorpsReps listing, which is where Ravel's "Pavane for a Dead Princess" is mentioned in conjunction with BS '08, was, as you suppose, taken from an early-announced repertoire list and not revised (but see below). Having dug out my 2008 CD and DVD, I find that the piece is not listed there.

And it looks like the CorpsReps entry has been edited since I started this thread! So let me note that there are three other pieces there that do not appear in the CD/DVD list: "Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun", "The Girl with the Flaxen Hair", and "Le Tombeau de Couperin". Meanwhile, there's one item on the CD/DVD list that does not appear in CorpsReps: "Le Tour: Stage 5, Stage 15, Stage 20" by Frank Sullivan.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Interesting....I tried to reply to Michael Boo's post about Faure's Pavane and my comment will not pickup what he wrote to reference the reply. Is the quote feature broken?

I've heard that piece of music so many times that I stopped taking notice - that is, until Blue Stars played it as their preshow.

As soon as I heard them play it chills went up and down my spine. It's absolutely beautiful.

Edit: The question about the quote feature bring broken seems to be an Internet Explorer 11 issue. The quote function works on Firefox. &%($^)@ Microsoft!

Edited by LincolnV