Would a serpent be legal in DCI?

I was just glancing at the live blog of the Bands of America grand nationals, held earlier this evening, and noticed Michael Boo's report that Marcus (TX) High School's show "Charmed" featured a serpent, the instrument that more or less preceded the tuba, having been used from the mid-16th through early-19th centuries. This appearance tickles me because in my youth, I performed in a Medieval/Renaissance instrument band, though never on serpent (we didn't have one), but sometimes, falteringly, on its cousins, the cornett and lizard. (From time to time, I have argued that if any woodwind instrument is to be permitted in drum corps, it must be the shawm, which needs no amplification.) Every now and again, one sees a serpent (or perhaps an ophliceide or a bombardon) at TubaChristmas events, along with more common novelties like helicon tubas and double-belled euphoniums.

Would such an instrument be permitted in DCI? In addition to percussion and electronic instruments (ugh), DCI's rules permit any bell-front brass instruments (in all keys) except trombones and sousaphones. From this Wikipedia article (see also the wonderful illustrations on this page) it appears that there were some serpents with front-facing bells. But does "brass" in DCI's terms refer to the so-called "brass family" of instruments, or is it understood that such instruments must be metallic? Serpents are typically made of wood encased in leather.

And would it be loud enough to be heard without amplification? (Michael: was tonight's serpent miked or acoustic?)

Oh, and while I'm on the subject of the BoA live blog, last year I asked whether DCI was missing a good promotional opportunity by not advertising in the souvenir program at the Ohio Music Education Association state championships, where approximately 120 bands with 12,000 students perform and thousands of parents also are in attendance. (Bands of America does advertise in the OMEA program.) Responses here were mixed, but several people said there'd be no point, because all the attendees are surely familiar with DCI. Well, well, well ... it turns out that even people who follow the supposedly more elite bands in BoA, whose championships are conducted in the same venue as DCI's, aren't as well-informed as you might guess. Members of the Cavaliers drumline performed as the bands filed out for the awards, and in the blog I read:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Guest: "Who are the Cavaliers?"

Michael Boo: "The Cavaliers are a drum and bugle corps from a suburb of Chicago. Drum and bugle corps is a summer activity. They have members from around the country. Their drum line gave a clinic earlier today at the Percussive Arts Society International Convention across the street from the stadium."

(Different) Guest: "Gonna be weird till one year later. (no competition)."

Michael Boo: "Do you know about WGI Winter Guard and WGI Indoor Marching Percussion events? It will help you get through you withdrawal. And then there's drum corps in the summer!"

The BOA winner this year, so I read, was The Woodlands High School, also from Texas, with "Crossing Boundaries". From a bad youtube video of their BOA regional performance a week or two ago, they do appear to have had a pretty good show, and not too heavy on the electronics, which I always appreciate. Congratulations to them.

• Like 1

Well, well, well ... it turns out that even people who follow the supposedly more elite bands in BoA, whose championships are conducted in the same venue as DCI's, aren't as well-informed as you might guess. Members of the Cavaliers drumline performed as the bands filed out for the awards, and in the blog I read:

Guest: "Who are the Cavaliers?"

Michael Boo: "The Cavaliers are a drum and bugle corps from a suburb of Chicago. Drum and bugle corps is a summer activity. They have members from around the country. Their drum line gave a clinic earlier today at the Percussive Arts Society International Convention across the street from the stadium."

(Different) Guest: "Gonna be weird till one year later. (no competition)."

Michael Boo: "Do you know about WGI Winter Guard and WGI Indoor Marching Percussion events? It will help you get through you withdrawal. And then there's drum corps in the summer!"

The BOA winner this year, so I read, was The Woodlands High School, also from Texas, with "Crossing Boundaries". From a bad youtube video of their BOA regional performance a week or two ago, they do appear to have had a pretty good show, and not too heavy on the electronics, which I always appreciate. Congratulations to them.

Living about 10-12 miles from Dixie State U. (UT), I attended the regional this year. The lady next to me had a child in American Fork and a niece and nephew in another competing band. When AF ( I believe) started their show, I said "Phantom Regiment 96". Had to explain to her who PR is which led to DCI, instructors who teach within both organizations, using each others music, drills, etc. One of the CA bands played part of BD show from this year. A big eye opener for her. After AF finished, I mentioned how they were the first band that impressed me. Told her the guard sold their show because of their over 40 mm and how they were utilized. Wasn't until I got home did I find out they had won.

Edited by Ghost

i had no idea what a serpent was prior to this thread (from a instrumental standpoint).

When I saw the title my first thought was that someone had brought a snake onto the field at which point someone was sure to add....."get this &$^#@^$ snake off this &$^#@^$ field!

The serpent has a really interesting sound.

http://youtu.be/NWez9hhitXQ

From a 1723 engraving--a bell-front serpent?

bonanni-serpent2.jpg

Edited by N.E. Brigand

heehee... sackbut... heehee... :silly:

It gets better: sometimes that early trombone is called a "sagbutt"!

I like watching the sackbutt performers whose instruments require an extra handle to extend the slides to the farther positions, as in this video.

• Like 1

From a 1723 engraving--a bell-front serpent?

If I am not mistaken, not only do the brass instruments have to be bell-front they also have to have valves which is why a 2-valved trombonium was used by the 27th Lancers. Thus regular trombones are not legal in DCI and neither is the serpent nor the sacbutt legal in DCI.