Spirit of Atlanta...

JKT90

I remember seeing Spirit for the first time in 1978. Blew me away!!! That night I decided that no matter what I was going to march in a drum corps! Funny thing, although I was from the south, I found myself marching in the Scouts, which at that time there were a lot of guys from the south in the Scouts. I say that to say I hope all the best in the future for Spirit. However, like Madison they had some problems this year. I actually like what Spirit was doing visually this year as compared to recent previous years. I just could not get into their musical book as in past SOA books musically. They had a great soloist, but they did not knock me off my but with the SOA hornline that we are all used to hearing. And I also think they were a little lacking in the percussion writing this year. Again, I pray that they will come back strong next year. Because truth be told DCI needs both a strong Spirit of Atlanta and a strong Madison Scouts to keep this activity viable. Too much history for these two corps to not be in the thick of things. Just my opinion.

I think it all boils down to… why was the tree angry?

I remember seeing Spirit for the first time in 1978. Blew me away!!! That night I decided that no matter what I was going to march in a drum corps! Funny thing, although I was from the south, I found myself marching in the Scouts, which at that time there were a lot of guys from the south in the Scouts. I say that to say I hope all the best in the future for Spirit. However, like Madison they had some problems this year. I actually like what Spirit was doing visually this year as compared to recent previous years. I just could not get into their musical book as in past SOA books musically. They had a great soloist, but they did not knock me off my but with the SOA hornline that we are all used to hearing. And I also think they were a little lacking in the percussion writing this year. Again, I pray that they will come back strong next year. Because truth be told DCI needs both a strong Spirit of Atlanta and a strong Madison Scouts to keep this activity viable. Too much history for these two corps to not be in the thick of things. Just my opinion.

Hey, I was in that 1978 Spirit horn line. Thanks for the kind words. And you know what? The thing that made me decide in 1975 that no matter what I was going to march in a drum corps? Madison's prelims show at a very rainy DCI Midwest in Whitewater.Talk about being blown away!

Hey, I was in that 1978 Spirit horn line. Thanks for the kind words. And you know what? The thing that made me decide in 1975 that no matter what I was going to march in a drum corps? Madison's prelims show at a very rainy DCI Midwest in Whitewater.Talk about being blown away!

Wow!!! That's amazing!!! It truly is a small drum corps world!!!

I see we have a board resignation or two already. Hope these guys weren't the ones who could have made a different path for the corps moving forward in a healthy way (Psst, look behind you at the last three years at least for some design and instruction answers). Forming a board that gets it and knows their best functionality for the bigger picture, how to best help and not butt in where they are not experts, is difficult.

As much peace as possible and as little as necessary to cause healthy change SOA.

Edited by westcoastblue

I see we have a board resignation or two already. Hope these guys weren't the ones who could have made a different path for the corps moving forward in a healthy way (Psst, look behind you at the last three years at least for some design and instruction answers). Forming a board that gets it and knows their best functionality for the bigger picture, how to best help and not butt in where they are not experts, is difficult.

As much peace as possible and as little as necessary to cause healthy change SOA.

Details?

Would be shocked if the board changes much at the top.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw on Spirits FB page welcoming Sal Salas back. I know he is famous in drum corps. I honestly know nothing about him. I thought he was responsible for Glassmen's demise. Not sure if that is true. Any of you in the know have info on him?

I saw on Spirits FB page welcoming Sal Salas back. I know he is famous in drum corps. I honestly know nothing about him. I thought he was responsible for Glassmen's demise. Not sure if that is true. Any of you in the know have info on him?

You'll find a lot positive and negative on these boards about Sal. There is a lot of truth to much of it, and a lot of lies. I think it's a good choice, just don't let him manage money.