Spirit of Atlanta...

JKT90

I still think Spirit's show is not as bad as many claim, and if it was fixed earlier, would at least have potential to be a good show. I absolutely love "Willow Weep for Me" and it has that great Spirit sound, but after seeing them in Atlanta and again in Charlotte, I think they've almost given up. Not completely but you can sense discouragement. In their New England late June/early July they did have a fervor but that seems to be gone. I hope they fix their problems and for their sake I hope they'll surprise us.

Let's just say you would probably be surprised by the back story of how this season came about and what could have been. I'll leave it at that, because this isn't the time, nor the place, for that discussion.

Let me take a crack at what has happened through the years.

The corps struggled for a decade or two, brought on by large debt due to loosing a single overly depended upon money source, and in part due to hiring the activity's primo staff, with all those people then eventually leaving for more money elsewhere and to get away from administrative sloth? Right so far? When design wasn't quite working, pull out a retro tune or three, add more sex appeal, or mention Jim Ott. Right again? Try previously stated formula for 20 years. The rehash thing works less and less and losses its appeal to audiences and potential new members. Keep passing the debt along to well intended but often unqualified and uninformed staff. Have a few decent years due to some informed but under supported people working hard to not see yet another icon go down. After years of struggling, luck out and get staff that turns the corps around in 2010 and gets the corps out of decades of debt, from what I understand. Have some in the activity start to pay attention, some alumni start to get on board (not near enough for the right reasons), and then the corps makes finals with a great show. Repeat in finals the next year. Repeat in finals yet again the following year. Some alumni are now excited cause someone else has done the hard work to turn things around. They ignorantly think "I got this", then interfere. Right again? Think they have all the answers because they were in the corps back when . . ., blah blah blah, my eyes and ears are shut to modern day considerations . . . blah blah blah, and I am bored with my personal life and need something to do . . . blah, blah, blah. Forget those outsiders who turned my corps around, I am an expert because I once wore a delta on my chest back when we were at the top. I want to do a retro show and will make sure we do so and it will be a miracle come back season, I mean a show that really allows me to reconnect with my past cause that is more important than the current member's experience, the corps being competitive, or the current modern day/non-1980 audience bing entertained. Right? That is usually how these things go down. We know of but do not learn from our history near enough in this activity. Hoping all the best for Spirit of Atlanta. The very mention of that name does something for me. I too, do not want to see another icon go down. Hope there is some alumni that has that same feeling and is smart, insightful, determined, and selfless. Think they will need it.

Edited by westcoastblue

Westcoastblue - you couldn't be further from the truth. I know what old soprano is talking about. Your disdain for Spirit is apparent, and that's fine, but you wrote a whole lot of crap. Trust me, you no have clue of which you speak.

Edited by JKT90

I marched the Gone with Wind show...and yes, the powers that be are well aware of "what's up" this year...and to reiterate old soprano on what almost happened this year, and where there are today...shouldn't be discussed now. Better wait until tour is over.

Edited by JKT90

Westcoastblue - you couldn't be further from the truth. I know what old soprano is talking about. Your disdain for Spirit is apparent, and that's fine, but you wrote a whole lot of crap. Trust me, you have clue of which you speak.

Do you mean I have "no clue of which I speak"?

To simply defend myself,

I have no distain for Spirit. My post even states "Hoping all the best for Spirit of Atlanta. The very mention of that name does something for me." I respect drum corps' past and I hate watching corps struggle due to bad decisions made by those in charge. I have been a huge supporter the past few years. Regarding all the "whole lot of crap" I wrote, if your are older and have been around to see Spirit in the early 80s, struggle through the 90s, and ride the roller coaster of the 2000s, you know there is truth in what I said. If you are aware of all of those years and are an alum as you stated, and still see what I wrote as crap, such has been exampled by too many alumni of too many corps' who have folded or who have struggled, or continue to struggle.

Edited by westcoastblue

Do you mean I have "no clue of which I speak"?

To simply defend myself,

I have no distain for Spirit. My post even states "Hoping all the best for Spirit of Atlanta. The very mention of that name does something for me." I respect drum corps' past and I hate watching corps struggle due to bad decisions made by those in charge. I have been a huge supporter the past few years. Regarding all the "whole lot of crap" I wrote, if your are older and have been around to see Spirit in the early 80s, struggle through the 90s, and ride the roller coaster of the 2000s, you know there is truth in what I said. If you are aware of all of those years and are an alum as you stated, and still see what I wrote as crap, such has been exampled by too many alumni of too many corps' who have folded or who have struggled, or continue to struggle.

Yes, hate typing on iPad, I edited to say you have NO clue of which you speak. Your post, to me, doesn't read as a supporter, or as you say huge supporter...but that's ok, I don't care. Actually, I agree with some of what you say, as do hundreds of alumni....however your conclusions as to why are incorrect. And to answer if I marched : 1990 Tenor line. Edited by JKT90

Westcoastblue, while I fear much truth in your diatribe, let it go. We have seen too many corps go down due to the

efforts of misguided alumni, not sure we can do much about it but hope that clear minds prevail.

I do wish the members and staff all the best the rest of the season, as I hope we all do, regardless of what role any have played in Spirit's past or present.

Dang! Whatever it is can't be good. Hope the members are enjoying the longer lasting aspects of drum corps than the competition.

• Like 1

Trust me, it's not an over active alumni. If anything, we should be more involved, in my opinion. The corps is in the black financially...just need some things to straighten out. Believe me, with the talent in the area, a few tweaks and they'll be just fine.

Westcoastblue, while I fear much truth in your diatribe, let it go. We have seen too many corps go down due to the

efforts of misguided alumni, not sure we can do much about it but hope that clear minds prevail.

I do wish the members and staff all the best the rest of the season, as I hope we all do, regardless of what role any have played in Spirit's past or present.

Yes, some truth spoken to be sure, but in how much accurate detail, we will never know,

and I will add, probably do not want nor need to know.

It has been sad to see one of favorite corps of the past few years, and I do believe a favorite

of many, have such a rough season. It is very confusing why there was such a turn around.

Any way, I also wish the corps a great last two weeks and success in turning it back around.

Edited by mirrormen