Spirit of Atlanta...

JKT90

Disappointing decision makers in that organization. Need to get back to their Southern roots. OMG, I just remember SOA from the 80's and it's sad to see what has become of that once great Corps. Not the members fault. It's management! They can't even blast out "Georgia on my Mind" during the warmup. Ridiculous! (Like their uniforms though)

NO! NO! NO! Bad dog. Bad dog.

You people crack me up. It is shocking that your suggestion seems logical, thoughtful, or insightful at all to you. Shocking, really. My head is still shaking.

Hello, what do see has happened to those hard working members (who NEVER want to do a 1980s show) this summer with a retro show?

Shocking, just shocking.

Have I mentioned the word NO!

In case I haven't . . .

NO!

Perhaps if they didn't clean house after last season, we wouldn't be discussing this. IMO, they were both successful and entertaining the past 3 or 4 seasons and a clear finalist corps that was a fan favorite.

Now that they've just been topped by Oregon Crusaders and The Academy, serious questions must be answered before next season for them to even be sniffing finals. This past week at West Chester and Allentown, I almost felt as if this corps had given up already. Their performance level seemed worse than June, and frankly I was shocked they were still hanging with Colts. And now we've seen what happened last night.

Please please please SoA board, make some smart decisions after this season to give some life back to these kids in terms of being competitive again.

I want to know why they cleaned house. But I don't think we will ever know. Maybe they wanted to move up faster and better and thought they knew how to or

could find someone else to do that?

I want to know why they cleaned house. But I don't think we will ever know. Maybe they wanted to move up faster and better and thought they knew how to or

could find someone else to do that?

It wasn't "they." It was "she." And I hope "she's" satisfied with what she's done to the corps.

I think we need to keep things in perspective. First of all, the true classic Spirit sound has not been heard in almost 35 years. Jim Ott's passing changed Spirit's magic. In 1980 they were within a point of first place. That has never happened since that time. Yes they have had many great shows since that time, but not the calibre of the early days.

People want Spirit to get back to its Southern roots. This year's show was pretty Southern. If you mean get back to that classic sound, I agree. But suggesting a return to "Gone with the Wind." Yes it is a classic film with the music is beautiful, but you really think that one of the more racially diverse corps is going to want to portray the glory of the plantations of the Pre Civil War south?

Spirit has made some poor decisions, and I agree it is too bad since they have the talent, and keeping that talent next year will be a challenge, but Blue Stars made a few bad decisions in 2012 and this year they are stronger than ever. The same could hold true for Spirit.

oldsoprano, on 05 Aug 2014 - 10:00 AM, said:snapback.png

It wasn't "they." It was "she." And I hope "she's" satisfied with what she's done to the corps.

Oh, my.

Wow, words to rival any two year old's temper tantrum! Sounds like someone didn't get their way and has just been waiting to say "I told you so"! Staff changes were absolutely necessary for Spirit, and the members are better off for it. Why are we so ready to give up after a rough transitional year? The new staff and admin team are all caring and talented people who want what's best for the members and the corps, they just need time and support instead of negativity and finger pointing.

• Like 1

He , she does not matter. What's done is done. The challenge is what are they going to do about it.

Wow, words to rival any two year old's temper tantrum! Sounds like someone didn't get their way and has just been waiting to say "I told you so"! Staff changes were absolutely necessary for Spirit, and the members are better off for it. Why are we so ready to give up after a rough transitional year? The new staff and admin team are all caring and talented people who want what's best for the members and the corps, they just need time and support instead of negativity and finger pointing.

As your screen name says, I "don't know you," but if you think that I'm just someone who didn't get their way and has been just waiting to say, I told you so, you couldn't be more wrong.

I was just pointing out to the person who was questioning why "they" did certain things that when it comes right down to it, it was one person's decision, not "their" decision.

Rough doesn't describe this year's show.....complete, utter failure is more accurate. They've dropped out of finals after three years of modern, progressive shows that scored well and were crowd favorites to boot. The drill is a mess, the guard isn't together, and the brass/arrangements lack clarity and GE. You've got a chop and bop show......Pre-recorded Sound - Fanfare - drum break while corps hops - tutti section - ethereal pit sounds....wash, rinse, and repeat. Oh, and bow to a fake tree.

And, honestly, if you want a SOUTHERN show, then it needs to be PROGRESSIVE. The South has moved on, Atlanta has moved on, and Spirit should too.