Spirit of Atlanta...

JKT90

He , she does not matter. What's done is done. The challenge is what are they going to do about it.

I speak for no one but myself when I say this...What needs to be done is a change of leadership at the top. Ineffective and poor decision making reared its' head...BUT, this is totally fixable, absolutely so. There is so much talent within a 200 mile radius of the Atlanta area...designers, staff, members. I'm optimistic about what could be.

Rough doesn't describe this year's show.....complete, utter failure is more accurate. They've dropped out of finals after three years of modern, progressive shows that scored well and were crowd favorites to boot. The drill is a mess, the guard isn't together, and the brass/arrangements lack clarity and GE. You've got a chop and bop show......Pre-recorded Sound - Fanfare - drum break while corps hops - tutti section - ethereal pit sounds....wash, rinse, and repeat. Oh, and bow to a fake tree.

And, honestly, if you want a SOUTHERN show, then it needs to be PROGRESSIVE. The South has moved on, Atlanta has moved on, and Spirit should too.

Thanks for an example of how to express your dislike of the direction Spirit has taken this year without personal attacks. I agree with several of your comments.

• Like 1

I speak for no one but myself when I say this...What needs to be done is a change of leadership at the top. Ineffective and poor decision making reared its' head...BUT, this is totally fixable, absolutely so. There is so much talent within a 200 mile radius of the Atlanta area...designers, staff, members. I'm optimistic about what could be.

Well, optimism is a great bed fellow, indeed. You are correct in reporting that "There is so much talent within a 200 mile radius of the Atlanta area . . . " , unfortunately, many of them are marching elsewhere, teaching elsewhere in the activity. They may have been persuaded to come to the corps we all saw building and developing over 2011, 2012, 2013, but not now. Most of these members and staff are scoring at the top of the activity. SOA had so much healing to do in the greater Atlanta area, regretfully, some of that healing that was wonderfully accomplished the past few year has been replaced, yet again (how many times can the corps survive this?) with founded mistrust. I assume this is an example of "don't you ever learn your lesson?" I fear JKT90 that too many people who are alumni, old school area fans (not that these people are not important) will rally and try to solve the problem. However, they will be wholly unqualified and not know it. . . but not due to a lack of heart or great intention, but simply by the fact that they don't know the incredible complicated world that DCI has become the last 20, 10, 5 years. I think they solidly and LUCKILY had that staff in place, but let them go for some reason.

As some have remorsefully said about corps' survival:

4 years to rebuild, 4 minutes to destroy.

I wish SOA all the best. This will not be easy.

The majority of the staff that left in 2013 started their first year together in 2010. I believe that year was a good production (that was underscored by the judges) and a strong showing for the staff compared to the previous year's corps. This lead to them securing a finals spot the following three years with strong, fan favorite shows that were well designed for the corps' talent, strengths, and weaknesses. IMO, I think they kind of dished out three very similar shows from 2011-2013. I saw the staff change this year as necessary in order for the corps to innovate and push forward in terms of design. The staff they assembled this year was sub-par at best and looked like they just promoted people underneath previous caption heads up. They just tried to sneak by with a bland program with zero direction. Really hoping SoA can recover and become a perennial finalist. Can they bring in some bigger name staff to try to lure talent and generate stronger programs? Didn't see that much staff that were very well established in the DCI community or experienced with some of the other top groups.

The majority of the staff that left in 2013 started their first year together in 2010. I believe that year was a good production (that was underscored by the judges) and a strong showing for the staff compared to the previous year's corps. This lead to them securing a finals spot the following three years with strong, fan favorite shows that were well designed for the corps' talent, strengths, and weaknesses. IMO, I think they kind of dished out three very similar shows from 2011-2013. I saw the staff change this year as necessary in order for the corps to innovate and push forward in terms of design. The staff they assembled this year was sub-par at best and looked like they just promoted people underneath previous caption heads up. They just tried to sneak by with a bland program with zero direction. Really hoping SoA can recover and become a perennial finalist. Can they bring in some bigger name staff to try to lure talent and generate stronger programs? Didn't see that much staff that were very well established in the DCI community or experienced with some of the other top groups.

I am confused by part of your statement here. You "saw the staff change as necessary . . . " Why? You just previously stated: "This lead to them securing a finals spot the following three years with strong, fan favorite shows that were well designed for the corps' talent, strengths, and weaknesses. IMO," . You also stated that the three shows from 2011-2013 were too similar. Hate this statement when it is not supported (as in this case) and it is made much too often. Sorry, but take SCV, PR, BD, Coats, Cavies, Cadets, etc, out of their unis and I know which corps is which within ten seconds. ITS CALLED AN IDENTITY! I NEVER saw the last thee shows as anything but the identity of the new, competitive, modern day SOA. I did not find the shows too similar or predictable.

Sorry, having more problems with your under supported statement. To my knowledge, most caption heads and designers were new to the corps (though a few had marched SOA in the distant past).

"They just tried to sneak by with a bland program with zero direction." Really? That was the conscience, well-discussed, contemplated plan? They "just tried" to do that?

Sorry, having more problems with your under supported statement. To my knowledge, most caption heads and designers were new to the corps (though a few had marched SOA in the distant past).

"They just tried to sneak by with a bland program with zero direction." Really? That was the conscience, well-discussed, contemplated plan? They "just tried" to do that?

http://spiritdrumcorps.org/home/2014-design-team-and-caption-heads/

Not a very detailed bio, but you get the idea. Don't see the quote "former caption head" mentioned that often in there for the teaching staff, leading me to think that they staff is a bit young. Not satisfied with my superficial and overgeneralized analysis of the design? Now you know how I feel after watching the show.

Edited by palmettomello

http://spiritdrumcorps.org/home/2014-design-team-and-caption-heads/

Not a very detailed bio, but you get the idea. Don't see the quote "former caption head" mentioned that often in there for the teaching staff, leading me to think that they staff is a bit young. Not satisfied with my superficial and overgeneralized analysis of the design? Now you know how I feel after watching the show.

I don't think we are understanding each other. So to try to be clear with my position- I assume the staff has some inexperienced members, but looking at this list, there are a lot of names of people that have had success in and out of the activity. That leads me to think that design and admin leadership wasn't exactly stellar.

You description of the show is fine. I agree it is less than well-done and an ineffective product for performer and audience. My point is that you stated they actually "tried to get by with a bland program with zero direction." I don't think they TRIED to do that. I think they just either didn't do the work that is needed to design a show today, or didn't know how to do the work. The fact that their changes were also not for the better leads me to think they just don't have those design skills or left that duty to the inexperienced.

No, it will not be easy, it will take, in my opinion, change some things in place that are lacking...Leadership, clear direction & vision, goals, those on the leadership team who can support and drive things in the direction it needs to go...and I know *they* want this too... It starts at the top and filters down...

All the talent that lives within 200 miles of the Atlanta, who are on staff with top 6 corps, members of top 6 corps need a reason to NOT travel half way across the country and instead jump in their car and drive an hour to camp. I personally know quite a few staff members in top 6 corps who would like to be at SoA but for reasons inappropriate to discuss here decided to go to their respective corps. To me though, this is encouraging...fix a few things that need to be and I think SoA can start gaining a lot of momentum...will it be easy, no. But that's ok, and doesn't deter my optimism on what could be. They have great history, a great brand and they are in a freaking ideal location. No offense to other corps, but it is easy to get a direct flight to Atlanta and the location is a simple drive from there. Easy in, easy out. Other corps have the same thing I know, but what I'm saying in that regard is getting to Atlanta is not an obstacle. When you add up the positives it is encouraging.

Now regarding this year...and I do not have this as first hand info, but what I think is the new staff came in and had little time to design a show and did the best they could...what I do know as first hand info is there was concern at the on set regarding the design but those in favor of it, in the minority, said no just hold tight it will come around...when it became apparent it wasn't, they started making changes like crazy...now while other corps are fine tuning, SoA is learning new stuff, by the time they get around to cleaning things, other corps were already too far in front of them to be caught.

The drum line is probably the strongest section in the corps...that staff has been together building the program for the past 4 years. Yes, Omar went from front ensemble to fill battery writing, but he is accustomed to this as he did it for BAC with no issues. I've seen the line up close and personal and they have some solid players and a good staff...they're scoring isn't reflecting their strength, and that's a whole other story.

And to tigger2's comments: I fear JKT90 that too many people who are alumni, old school area fans (not that these people are not important) will rally and try to solve the problem. However, they will be wholly unqualified and not know it. . . but not due to a lack of heart or great intention, but simply by the fact that they don't know the incredible complicated world that DCI has become the last 20, 10, 5 years. > Based on what I think I know, I don't see this being an issue at all.

• Like 1

I don't think we are understanding each other. So to try to be clear with my position- I assume the staff has some inexperienced members, but looking at this list, there are a lot of names of people that have had success in and out of the activity. That leads me to think that design and admin leadership wasn't exactly stellar.

You description of the show is fine. I agree it is less than well-done and an ineffective product for performer and audience. My point is that you stated they actually "tried to get by with a bland program with zero direction." I don't think they TRIED to do that. I think they just either didn't do the work that is needed to design a show today, or didn't know how to do the work. The fact that their changes were also not for the better leads me to think they just don't have those design skills or left that duty to the inexperienced.

Of course they didn't "TRY" to do that. That obviously wasn't their stated goal from the get go. That doesn't change the fact that it ended up being exactly what they did, and I'm guessing you're probably smart enough to read between the lines and understand palmettomello's point.