can anybody please identify this horn?

all1knew

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and a rookie when it comes to any instrument. I have heard mixed opinions on this one due to the number of valves. Can anyone please tell me what exactly I have here? Engraved into the metal (by hand) is the phrase "property of the US Government" but I very much doubt anyone is missing it. Unfortunately I do not see any manufacturer markings (or perhaps don't know where to look) so any ideas as to who made this as well? Lastly, if I may request, I would also like an estimation of age please. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

William Kramer

Edited by all1knew
  • Like 1

Baby Getzen Contra :)

Westshoremen had the babies in 1974 and again in 1984/1985 or so as we were rebuilding. No idea of the manufacturer and interested in "US Govt" stamp as there were a bunch of military corps.

Age I'd guess at late 60s to late 70s when the 2v horns started coming out.

• 2 weeks later...

Such a beautiful instrment!!

I had the privilege of being able to own one for a short period of time (by own I mean a friend got it off craigslist for $50, then sold it for $100), but it was a super fun instrument!

The leadpipe bore is much too small for a modern tuba mouthpiece, but a trombone mouthpiece doesn't quite seem to make sense, considering this is a bass voice instrument. That being said, sticking a 1.5G in there and playing it in the lower registers did produce a warm tone, so I'm assuming the traditional mouthpiece for this instrument would be a larger version of a trombone mouthpiece, but not quite a modern tuba mouthpiece.

Quick google searches don't bring up anything useful...

It uses the same shank as my Eb tuba, I don't remember what thats called. Try a Bach 22 tuba mpc!

Hello again,

Well I appreciate the help everyone. I listed this one eBay at a penny, so if anybody is interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380791491371

old vintage antique Getzen contra bass tuba baritone brass band instrument horn

William Kramer

I notice u have free shipping on this. You do realize that this could wind up costing you upwards of$150 dollars to ship depending on the zip code?? And that is if you have your sale set for CONUS. You get a international bid on that puppy and you could wind up in hock.

They used an English shank. I owned one too after my first corps folded. Really crappy horns, stuffy, no real bass tone coming out of them, but at least they were a start.