Phantom Regiment 2014

What is it about PR that makes them unwilling or unable to take the musical and visual risks that Cadets, Crown, BD etc. take?

Oh, here we go again..... :whistle::whistle:

• Like 1

Time to find another corps to root for.

Tired of the same old stuff.

BD and Crown are winning me over these days.

Goodbye, Regiment.

Based on everything you've posted here over the years I just don't see you walking away. I hope not.

As for the show itself, it may just turn out to be amazing. All I see right now is a comment on Facebook saying "Swan Lake."

What is it about PR that makes them unwilling or unable to take the musical and visual risks that Cadets, Crown, BD etc. take?

Could be that the only thing less-known than classical is drum corps. Maybe they have to choose familiar pieces to tell a story. Could also be that, as I've heard here, I think, classical is more difficult to arrange than other music genres (I'm a drummer, I can play to anything classical).

But their choice does seem a little worn. I was hoping for a something meatier. Like "The Alligators Under Swan Lake".

Is it a sure thing that this is the show? I only ask because we played it once during a camp brass rehearsal, just for the hell of it.

edit: Nevermind-- looking through FB, it appears that this is definitely the show theme. I'm feeling fairly neutral about it at the moment. Even though I like the source material well enough, I was hoping for them to switch gears this year and go in a bit of a different direction. (Or, at least, away from the story telling for a bit.) I guess I'll have to wait until summer (sigh) to see what they've come up with.

Edited by year1buick
  • Like 1

Well that's just a shame now isn't it??? Can't say I'm really surprised after reading all that came from you last season. Enjoy your new corps.

After nearly 30 years of following Regiment, it is. They're boring, predictable and stale. Create a more modern version of the corps. Stop doing constant throwbacks. They make it look like the corps is out of ideas. Even the kids who have/are marching the corps are tired of the same old storyline.

What happened to doing things like the non-story years of the 90's?

Oh yeah, Cesario (a true creative genius) was program coordinator.

Edited by chaos001
  • Like 1

Black Swan & Swan Lake.... Black uniforms & White Uniforms.

Just sayin.... :ninja:

Spartans played some music from Swan Lake this year, finishing fourth in Open Class.

Blue Stars and Colts used Swan Lake music in 2007 and 2011, respectively, finishing fourteenth and sixteenth in World Class.

It appears that no DCI corps has performed the music of Swan Lake in Finals since Phantom in 1987. (On the DCA side, Buccaneers won with a show that included Swan Lake just two years ago.)

Cadets specifically argued last spring that twenty years since Star's legendary show was enough time elapsed for them to perform Medea, and never even mentioned SCV having tackled Barber's "Adagio for Strings" and Symphony No. 1 in highly-ranked shows more recently than that. In which case, twenty-seven years since Swan Lake got a top-tier DCI treatment ought to be sufficient.

• Like 1

Time to find another corps to root for.

Tired of the same old stuff.

BD and Crown are winning me over these days.

Goodbye, Regiment.

Last time they played Swan Lake was 1987. None of the current members were even alive. ...and I think that Cesario said that show theme was "Songs for the Winter Palace"...

Frankly, I think they could take that classic music and make it fresh and new for the current generation...

Also, we have no idea what a post that says "Swan Lake" really means... It's just a teaser. I'm not ready to write them off just yet, and they're not even my corps.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

Last time they played this was 1987. None of the current members were even alive. ...and I think that Cesario said that was a "Songs for the Winter Palace" theme...

Frankly, I think they could take that classic and make it fresh for the current generation...

Also, we have no idea what "Swan Lake" really means... Not ready to write them off just yet.

Last time they played Swan Lake, aside from new uniforms and a guard that wore fur hats, the show had no story.

Now everything seems to require a story.

I just hope there's no 15 foot tall swan with long dangly wings (arms) as part of this one.

Last time they played Swan Lake, aside from new uniforms and a guard that wore fur hats, the show had no story.

Now everything seems to require a story.

I just hope there's no 15 foot tall swan with long dangly wings (arms) as part of this one.

Haha! That would be terrifying!

BTW, I LOVED the 1987 show. Totally great color combinations to match the theme of the show.

The pageantry that year was just incredible from top to bottom.