Phantom Regiment 2014

There could have been people who marched in the first Swan Lake show that have kids marching in this one. Talk about coming full-circle.

• Like 1

I have very fond memories of the 87 show. This will actually draw me back closer to a corps I really loved my whole life.

I thought only the first four minutes of the 1987 show used music from Swan Lake.

Something like that. The bulk of the music came from the Nutcracker.

So if Phantom played an all-Swan Lake show, like the all-Turandot show two years ago, it would be the first time that had been done.

Yesterday when I saw that Phantom had "Swan Lake" on their Facebook page I assumed it was a teaser for the upcoming season and from what I can see, I am not the only one who feels this way. If it is a show announcement, it could go either way as to whether the entire show is based on "Swan Lake" by Tchaikovsky. In 2012 they did "Turandot" and the book was based entirely on Puccini. When they did "Faust:" a few years back, I expected Gounod or Berlioz and we found neither. Phantom is pretty adept at making shows work and I think the same will be true this year.

Now as far as "Swan Lake" and drum corps is concerned, Phantom did a small portion of the score in 1987, Oakland Crusaders did the same in 1975 and 76, and this past year Spartans performed some excerpts. I know other corps have used excerpts as well. The score itself is about two hours long, so Phantom could do an original show with music from the score that has not yet been used, so it may not be a repeat show, but even if Phantom does familiar music, that does not mean it is a "repeat" show. A fresh look at the familiar can be original, and display virtuosity. I knew a man who played violin with the Boston Symphony Orchestra. The BSO has always prided itself on performing the great classics and championing new music, treating both with great respect. He used to claim that the beloved classics were often more difficult to perform due to familiarity. People had recordings from the great orchestras and had higher expectations than they did with less familiar works. Since so many people are familiar with Tchaikovsky's music, Phantom could be exposing itself a bit more than performing something that is less well known. Also, Tchaikovsky was a master at instrumentation which does not always translate well for drum corps so making it work would be a challenge.

Personally I hope Phantom does what it does best, namely lets the music tell the story with a physical guard that compliments it. For me this was the reason for the success of "Juliet" and "Turandot" and of course "Spartacus." Also, it first with Phantom since the story does end with a death.

Edited by Tim K

After nearly 30 years of following Regiment, it is. They're boring, predictable and stale. Create a more modern version of the corps. Stop doing constant throwbacks. They make it look like the corps is out of ideas. Even the kids who have/are marching the corps are tired of the same old storyline.

What happened to doing things like the non-story years of the 90's?

Oh yeah, Cesario (a true creative genius) was program coordinator.

As much as I respect anyone who has supported any drum corps for 30 years, the conflicts in your feelings are obvious. Stop doing throwbacks and do things like the 90's? Not sure I follow what you mean here. To me, the 90's kind of became an era when everyone started looking and sounding the same.

The "creative genius" program coordinator Cesario has encouraged and promoted DCI corps sticking to there own style and identity from his DCI position for the last couple years. He gushes when describing PR as the story tellers. If he was program coordinator, would that make Swan Lake ok?

After all that you have been saying since last year, it seems to me that your waning support has to do with a personal issue you have with upper management. While this may be justified, DCP is hardly the place to fight that battle.

As far as you speaking for the current marching members feelings, that seems to be the thing that I don't see. Nobody is forcing them to go to PR. You make it sound like they are going there hoping for the corps to do something differently than they have for the past few years, and I really think that is not the case. In fact, it is more likely that most made their choice based on recent programming rather than some VHS tape they saw from 95.

Crown could do much worse than having you for a solid supporter, so if funked up uniforms, flute samples, and narration/voice paired with tasty horn licks is what you want from drum corps, start a 2014 Crown thread and woop it up!

As far as the 2 words posted on facebook for this year, seems a little early to make too much of that. I can't wait to see what they do with it.

• Like 2

Yesterday swan lake was their 2014 show.

Today it's coupon code to get 30% off in their store......