Phantom Regiment 2014

Yesterday swan lake was their 2014 show.

Today it's coupon code to get 30% off in their store......

Wow - what a great show that would be "Coupon Code."

I hope at one point during the show they form a giant coupon. Better yet, they could form a QR Code and everyone in the audience could point their cell phones at it to win a prize!

• Like 2

I must borrow UK producer Matthew Bourne's words regarding Phantom Regiment's Swan Lake:

See it. Or Regret it.

• Like 2

Time to find another corps to root for.

Tired of the same old stuff.

BD and Crown are winning me over these days.

Goodbye, Regiment.

Not sure who you are, or what your problem is, but it would be nice if you stopped being so negative about PR. I understand something happened that has you upset about the way the organization is being run, but getting on here and bashing the organization constantly is not helping.

Deciding that a show to say nothing of one's support for an entire corps can be written off based on a two-word working title on December 1st suggests somebody may have an agenda going, I have to agree.

Which is not to say that the corps might not be well encouraged to take a new and cutting-edge look at an old theme. The "Black Swan Lake" idea, if access to the Black Swan soundtrack score can be obtained, with a melding of the film score with the ballet score is a great concept.

Corps can't win these days on the web, not that there's anything really new and cutting edge about that, either. Choose some wonderful but familiar music you did a long time ago, and you're boring and rooted in the past. Do something new, and it's too weird to be entertaining.

Deciding that a show to say nothing of one's support for an entire corps can be written off based on a two-word working title on December 1st suggests somebody may have an agenda going, I have to agree.

Which is not to say that the corps might not be well encouraged to take a new and cutting-edge look at an old theme. The "Black Swan Lake" idea, if access to the Black Swan soundtrack score can be obtained, with a melding of the film score with the ballet score is a great concept.

Corps can't win these days on the web, not that there's anything really new and cutting edge about that, either. Choose some wonderful but familiar music you did a long time ago, and you're boring and rooted in the past. Do something new, and it's too weird to be entertaining.

Agree that Chaos is jumping to a conclusion. Not so sure the conclusion is wrong.

The theme certainly suggests yet another story of beauty and tragedy (ie death). I find myself agreeing with Chaos (cue 'world coming to an end' music) -- bring back the Regiment who put "ferocious classical music on the field without any nonsense". (BTW that's a GREAT description of PR's identity! Well done Chaos).

IMO "Look at us -- we're so pretty" is getting really, really tiresome.

• Like 1

Choose some wonderful but familiar music you did a long time ago, and you're boring and rooted in the past. Do something new, and it's too weird to be entertaining.

Plus, the overemphasis and concern with the music selected seems rooted in the past as well. Since when has the music selected and how executed trumped the visual design, guard, and visual execution ? 10 years ago ? 20 years ago ? Longer ? The road to placing high in DCI is not whether a Corps plays familiar music or not. Its mostly all about the Visual, imo. As such, there is nothing in this announcement by Phantom Regiment that they will reportedly be doing a theme revolving around " Swan Lake " that tells us whether the show will likely have them place higher or lower with this theme. ( nor even if the music, visual presentation will be enjoyable or not for most show goers next summer. )

Edited by BRASSO

Agree that Chaos is jumping to a conclusion. Not so sure the conclusion is wrong.

The theme certainly suggests yet another story of beauty and tragedy (ie death). I find myself agreeing with Chaos (cue 'world coming to an end' music) -- bring back the Regiment who put "ferocious classical music on the field without any nonsense". (BTW that's a GREAT description of PR's identity! Well done Chaos).

IMO "Look at us -- we're so pretty" is getting really, really tiresome.

It has the potential for that, no question, and I might end up agreeing with both of you--same old same old, move on already. But maybe we could wait until July 1 if not August 1 to reach that conclusion.

Plus, the overemphasis and concern with the music selected seems rooted in the past as well. Since when has the music selected and how executed trumped the visual design, guard, and visual execution ? 10 years ago ? 20 years ago ? Longer ? The road to placing high in DCI is not whether a Corps plays familiar music or not. Its mostly all about the Visual, imo. As such, there is nothing in this announcement by Phantom Regiment that they will reportedly be doing a theme revolving around " Swan Lake " that tells us whether the show will likely have them place higher or lower with this theme. ( nor even if the music, visual presentation will be enjoyable or not for most show goers next summer. )

Disagree (shocking I know).

While visual might be in the drivers seat during the season, I still believe that MUSIC drives quality design. So I don't think you can "over emphasize" music selection. Good designs live and die with the music choices. If you can combine "that makes sense" with "I would have never thought of that" in your music selections, your design is probably going to be successful.

(Besides : we only have music selections to analyze and dissect-- we have to actually wait until the summer to critque the visual !!)

Peel Paint feels more correct to me. "Alligators below Swan Lake", "Black Swan Lake" - excellent choice.

I think Phantom knows what get judged to place well and I'm hopeful that they continue to kills things.

It's dawned on me since this thread opened that I've listened to their first Swan Lake so much that I had forgotten completely how long ago it was. Jeesh, time flies.

Yes retreads of previous shows are never new, fresh and exciting.

Signed,

Spartacus 2008

• Like 1