Phantom Regiment 2014

The Piazzolla show was a major departure for the corps and because of that, it did not fare well with the judges.

I always thought 2004 didn't fare well because the visual package was not at the same level as the brass and percussion. That changed in 2005 when Jamey Thompson and Adam Sage were added to the staff. Suddenly Phantom had a complete package and their placement showed it.

• Like 2

Only a year later and I don't remember "Triumphant Journey". Not a single second of it.

While I agree that last year's show was relatively disappointing, lots of it come back immediately to my mind: the storybook opener, the sword from the stone, the enchanted forest, the castle, the tipsy witch, and "Nimrod", for starters.

(As for "Juliet", that show nearly caught Crown's "Rach Star" in Finals.)

No it doesn't happen every year. "Turandot" premiered in 2012 at the Akron show that was the first-ever season-opening cinema-cast and took second, behind Cadets' "12.25" and ahead of Crown's "For the Common Good", and it was widely predicted on these forums from that point forward that Phantom would medal that year.

After the first few shows in 2012 I remember a lot of "Phantom is too clean for this early in the season and is surely going to peak at the wrong time."

anyone have the link to the video? I have seen bd, crown and cadets. Nice to see pr! Thanx

OK, there was some of that, too. (And it might have been a little true: Crown did pass them, after all.) But there will be positive and negative predictions made about any corps early in the season. By no means was there universal discouragement about Phantom in 2012.

One more night and I believe they would have passed them. They were really going for it finals week

You mean the year that people predicted Phantom wouldn't do well at all because Paul Rennick was no longer with the corps?..........

You mean the year that people predicted Phantom wouldn't do well at all because Paul Rennick was no longer with the corps?..........

EXACTLY. People were counting them out practically all season, and they narrowly missed 4th place. Scorng a 95 ain't bad for 5th

The Piazzolla show was a major departure for the corps and because of that, it did not fare well with the judges...

I have a hard time believing this. You are implying that the judges essentially ignored the artistic merit of the 2004 show, and penalized Phantom for departing from their little stylistic box. And yet, the judges go on to reward many other corps, who explore all sorts of styles, including BD, Cadets and now Crown. Makes no sense. I think you have a cynical view of the judges.

• Like 2