Phantom Regiment 2014

This is the look of a DM I would not want to #### with.

10428697_10152222095433668_6259254318631

Edited by crownisking
  • Like 2

I love Phantom, but to state their position on June 11th: They are not anywhere near loud enough. And the musical arrangements are uninspiring. These are both problems that can be fixed by August, and I hope they do just that.

I agree that a good musical product can be refined over the summer to produce effect and dynamics. But I don't think this is a good musical product to begin with, and others appear to agree. Chaos suggests that the show is very effect-driven from the start, not music-driven like we tend to hear from Regiment - adding effect to music over the summer would seem to be easier than the other way around.

Question for those who marched: did you ever ADD musical difficulty to your show as the season went on? My impression is that most times difficult passages are watered down not added.

• Like 1

Not sure if you are advocating for a score flatline that Madison experienced in 2007? maybe you meant a different year?

Over the previous 5 years:

DCI ave 9th place score=89.3

DCI ave 10th place score=88

PR's ave season starting score=71.4

PR's ave season ending score=93.6

PR's ave season growth=22.2

So, I guess if they open with a 67 and hold true to their typical growth the previous 5 years they might realize what the previous poster estimated to be a season of 9th/10th placement-on average.

It is true that no one can specifically predict. Just thought I'd investigate what has happened for at least the previous 5 years.

2007 was fun to watch Madison, Blue Stars, Southwind, Spirit scores.

Hi..I should have been clearer but when mentioning Madison Scouts from 2007 I was not referencing scores. I was referencing the difference in which corps were beating Madison in June/July vs. which corps Madison beat finals week......quite a difference

Initial thoughts:

No comment on the quality of performance; large number of rookies + weather = less than optimal conditions.

Not overwhelmed with the arrangements, particularly the percussion. Not a lot of texture there.

The Swan Lake arrangement seemed a little... off. From my totally untrained perspective, the numerous tempo shifts kept the piece from developing any musical momentum. And I'd much prefer the ending from the Songs from the Winter Palace show,

I agree that a good musical product can be refined over the summer to produce effect and dynamics. But I don't think this is a good musical product to begin with, and others appear to agree. Chaos suggests that the show is very effect-driven from the start, not music-driven like we tend to hear from Regiment - adding effect to music over the summer would seem to be easier than the other way around.

Question for those who marched: did you ever ADD musical difficulty to your show as the season went on? My impression is that most times difficult passages are watered down not added.

To me, it just doesn't sound like Regiment should sound.

• Like 2

With all that's been said, Chaos011 has boiled it down to the simple plain fact, "it just doesn't sound like Regiment should sound."

Could not be better put.

Do you mean stylistically or simply in terms of quality?

You're funny, and you're right - I have no clue what I am talking about. Im just spewing **** to try and get people like you to send heated posts like this so we can argue all day, because really, that's what I want to do. I am troll, so hear me ROAR!

Sarcasm aside - For all we know, they could come out and score an 80 on Saturday night. Maybe it was just a bad show. But logically speaking, they were really dirty - standing still. Could have been the rain and the shell, but I've seen videos of their past 6 or 7 years at the same shell and never seen that much drum dirt. Reports have it they have over 100 rookies - IF that's true, it will be an uphill climb all year. And, the book is, in my uneducated opinion, a train wreck. Put all of these things together, and you've got the makings of a very long and difficult season. If I had to guess where they will end up, I'd say 10th. But, that's just a guess. They could finish 4th, they could finish 15th. I'm guessing. Just a guess, that's all. I love Regiment, think they're fantastic, but they all have bad years every once in a while.

Now go let some of the tension out of your g-string and try not to get too offended when someone says something you don't want to hear about your favorite corps. It's OK, really it is.

>> You're funny, and you're right - I have no clue what I am talking about. Im just spewing **** to try and get people like you to send heated posts like this so we can argue all day, because really, that's what I want to do. I am troll, so hear me ROAR!

I was simply trying to convey that 'In my opinion' (Because most things on forums are opinions) I think your reaction to a lack luster quality recording posted on youtube of an early June drum corps performance in the rain was a bit much.

>> Reports have it they have over 100 rookies - IF that's true, it will be an uphill climb all year.

If true it could be a tough season...I agree (Hey what do you know). Although, back in 1993 SCV brought up a pile of members from SCV Cadets to fill spots and did ok. Can one predict how 100 rookies will fair? Pretty tough....I don't think we can.

>>Now go let some of the tension out of your g-string and try not to get too offended when someone says something you don't want to hear about your favorite corps. It's OK, really it is.

Sadly corps feel the need to change gears so much that I have not had a favorite corps in a real long time. Back in the 80's and early 90's I was a huge BD fan.

I have converted to being a general drum corps fan and cheer for corps that I enjoy the most that particular season,

In 2013 for DCI that was SCV, Troopers and Spirit

I have actually given up on g-strings....I don't wear any underwear at all now (What a horrible thought that is). :augen51::bleah:

Not to get all mushy but actually a couple of years ago (First time corps was in Rochester) my favorite mini-corps was the Freelancers mini-corps..

Edited by Triple Forte

>> You're funny, and you're right - I have no clue what I am talking about. Im just spewing **** to try and get people like you to send heated posts like this so >>we can argue all day, because really, that's what I want to do. I am troll, so hear me ROAR!

I was simply trying to convey that 'In my opinion' (Because most things on forums are opinions) I think your reaction to a lack luster quality recording posted on youtube of an early June drum corps performance in the rain was a bit much.

>> Reports have it they have over 100 rookies - IF that's true, it will be an uphill climb all year.

If true it could be a tough season...I agree (Hey what do you know). Although, back in 1993 SCV brought up a pile of members from SCV Cadets to fill spots and did ok. Can one predict how 100 rookies will fair? Pretty tough....I don't think we can.

>>Now go let some of the tension out of your g-string and try not to get too offended when someone says something you don't want to hear about your >>favorite corps. It's OK, really it is.

Sadly corps feel the need to change gears so much that I have not had a favorite corps in a real long time. Back in the 80's and early 90's I was a huge BD fan.

I have converted to being a general drum corps fan and cheer for corps that I enjoy the most that particular season,

In 2013 for DCI that was SCV, Troopers and Spirit

I have actually given up on g-strings....I don't wear any underwear at all now (What a horrible thought that is). :augen51::bleah:

Not to get all mushy but actually a couple of years ago (First time corps was in Rochester) my favorite mini-corps was the Freelancers mini-corps..