Phantom Regiment 2014

The full 30+ min (soaking) performance if anyone is interested

I listened to this whole recording this morning, and I can honestly say that the recorded product doesn't match up at all to what I heard on Tuesday night. So PLEASE don't base your opinions of the quality of the 2014 music on a bad recording.

Edited by kmkord

There has to be a better arranger they can get than Don Hill.

• Like 1

Do you mean stylistically or simply in terms of quality?

Stylistically mostly. There doesn't seem to be a lot of phrase development/complexity. Plus the Regiment sound isn't there. It's a very bass/euph centered sound and what's been written the last several years is more mello balanced.

I listened to this whole recording this morning, and I can honestly say that the recorded product doesn't match up at all to what I heard on Tuesday night. So PLEASE don't base your opinions of the quality of the 2014 music on a bad recording.

Quality of sound may definitely be compromised. Quality of orchestration is a different matter entirely.

Stylistically mostly. There doesn't seem to be a lot of phrase development/complexity. Plus the Regiment sound isn't there. It's a very bass/euph centered sound and what's been written the last several years is more mello balanced.

I'd put a lot of that to the absence of JD. He always made sure the mellos were a dominant part of the sound, both in the way he wrote the show and the way he taught the hornline

Nothing wrong with that. :)

I have read several times from different people the comment that basically says.......don't worry, they will fix it by the end of the season or they are good at fixing what's wrong with the show at this point or some other version of the notion. This has been said or written for several years now.The thought that keeps coming to me is this. I have a few favorite corps, PR being one of them. And having read, seen, or heard portions of most of my favorites my thought is "oh I can't wait to see this show, or what an amazing show this is.

But with PR it's been the thought that "oh I hope they can fix this or they are working so hard with an inferior design or other thoughts to that effect. With most of the shows I like, it's not a matter of fixing it, but a matter of fine tuning it into something greater. Why can PR not get great designs to work with initially?

And ultimately I give all the credit to the kids, not the staff. PR is very lucky to have kids that are willing to give blood sweat and tears to something that is less than great to begin with.

Edited by eric49

Nothing wrong with that. :)

If only it were that way again.

I'd put a lot of that to the absence of JD. He always made sure the mellos were a dominant part of the sound, both in the way he wrote the show and the way he taught the hornline

But the bass/euph presence isn't what it used to be with that dark/open bottom rich sound.

No it doesn't happen every year. "Turandot" premiered in 2012 at the Akron show that was the first-ever season-opening cinema-cast and took second, behind Cadets' "12.25" and ahead of Crown's "For the Common Good", and it was widely predicted on these forums from that point forward that Phantom would medal that year.

Before the first show, after the concert in park 2012, most the same folks bagged the brass for not sounding like Regiment (Hills first year) that was my impression too until I listened to the source and figured out it did sound like Regiment doing Puccini trying to throw in some far east flair

I didn’t like their music last years during the season but it grew on my in the off season on CD so I’ll try to give them a bit more listens before I decide this year

From that video, I have no opinion of the show or corps…the snares look like they have good hands even if it doesn’t sound that way

Before the first show, after the concert in park 2012, most the same folks bagged the brass for not sounding like Regiment (Hills first year) that was my impression too until I listened to the source and figured out it did sound like Regiment doing Puccini trying to throw in some far east flair

I didn’t like their music last years during the season but it grew on my in the off season on CD so I’ll try to give them a bit more listens before I decide this year

From that video, I have no opinion of the show or corps…the snares look like they have good hands even if it doesn’t sound that way

They make an ointment for that... :ninja:

• Like 2