Phantom Regiment 2014

the music for the conflict section (right before Swan Lake at the end) really doesn't fit at all. I know the sheets require variety of musical style, but it's out of left field.

Until I see the complete visual, I won't be able to respond to that. I don't know what they have planned. I saw a few pre-season drill videos that were quickly taken down the morning I saw them and still don't know (it's incredible what you can find on the Internet in the early morning).

To be honest, I'm glad they didn't base all their music on the original ballet.

When they announced Swan Lake, I wasn't thrilled. Since I've seen this I'm really interested in what they plan to do.

Edit: I've listened to the Sinnissippi Concert in the Park video over and over. I think the music works. I also think the corps has a lot of talent. I think right now they are shooting for a balanced musical blend before firing on all cylinders.

Edited by Lincoln

Until I see the complete visual, I won't be able to respond to that. I don't know what they have planned. I saw a few pre-season drill videos that were quickly taken down the morning I saw them and still don't know (it's incredible what you can find on the Internet in the early morning).

To be honest, I'm glad they didn't base all their music on the original ballet.

When they announced Swan Lake, I wasn't thrilled. Since I've seen this I'm really interested in what they plan to do.

Edit: I've listened to the Sinnissippi Concert in the Park video over and over. I think the music works. I also think the corps has a lot of talent. I think right now they are shooting for a balanced musical blend before firing on all cylinders.

If the music was from stronger sources, it would help. Three of the pieces are from action films. They're composed for effect, not musicality.

After hearing the concerts in the park Phantom should be looking over their shoulder for Boston. Phantom is a boring formula show (Don Hill) with what sounds like a weaker than normal horn line. The percussion were not well prepared and the percussion parts have little connection to the music.

Until I see the complete visual, I won't be able to respond to that. I don't know what they have planned.

You can put all the make up you like on a pig, it still stays a pig.

Sure, but maybe inside that pig is a tasty ham!

• Like 1

You can put all the make up you like on a pig, it still stays a pig.

Impressive.

You've made a reference to a pig which, based on prior posts, is something Boston is alluding to in their program "Animal Farm."

They are a wonderful corps and their 2014 show is indeed strong and will quickly become, I think, something spectacular.

However, Phantom's show is a reference to Swans. That is a bird. Mind you, the bird can be nasty (not too far from some posters on this forum), but they can also be graceful. One of the greatest composers in the history of man actually wrote a ballet for a story regarding them.

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 1

I've been to Rockford 5 times since Memorial Day, and was in Whitewater last night. I've seen over 30 hours of rehearsal so far. Here are my thoughts on the 2014 Regiment.

I don't mind Swan Lake again. It's really just the beginning and end of the show. Maybe 1/3 total.

I believe the majority of the staff is new, and I'm assuming the corps is on the younger side.

The brass arrangements are ok, but there is hardly any technical demand at all. Like none. No wow moments in arrangement or performance.

The drumline rarely gets in front of the back hash, and while they've gotten alot better in the last month are still very dirty. Especially the battle/scene 3.

Drill works but way too much body movement. I realize that that equals GE, but I can't stand it.

Overall I see huge improvement in a month, but not sure they have the show arrangement wise to break the top 6, and that saddens me greatly.

• Like 1

With Cesario doing several corps unis (and serving as "Creative Director" for DCI) it is only a matter of time before they all start to look...overwhelmingly not dissimilar.

This is very much a "pieces and parts from the past" uni design...

the round thing at the waist first appeared 09, and the the missing sleeve, the armour thingy on the right shoulder last year,

the knotted fringe is a repeat (and I think it has been trimmed like pictured on the "guy by the truck") – because there are none that short or knotted in the group photo with the all the long ones (Whew!)...

the metallic sash (off and on over the years in various forms) – and who knows, there may be a colored overlay on top of this when the show starts; wouldn't be the first time...and there might be a "cape" of some color hidden as well...

Something new, (unless I'm wrong) this is the first year for white top/black bottom since they adopted the shorter tops years ago...and this is about the only way to do it successfully (with out the "Re-dazzling" of it all of course)... and it will make them very "long" with the all white headgear.

Wow.

I learned a lot from this post.

Nicely done.

• Like 1

If the music was from stronger sources, it would help. Three of the pieces are from action films. They're composed for effect, not musicality.

I'm not questioning what you are saying. However, can you clarify if you are concerned because the music comes from "films" or because it's from "action films."

They've used film music before. King of Kings, East of Eden (Television), Cape Fear and Romeo and Juliet immediately come to mind (and boy did they get criticized for using the Nino Rota theme song from that one) as well as others. I also remember years when they used classical pieces and quite frankly, they didn't quite live up to what had been played in other years. That last part is entirely my opinion. I sincerely hope that they never pull out 1812 Overture again or any of the music used in 2009.

Edited by Lincoln