Phantom Regiment 2014

Agreed - they are. Having not seen them since San Antonio, the whole show has grown a great deal. The hornline sounds fantastic, with a powerful, dark, lush sound. The ballad is starting to sell very well, too, and the last seconds of the show is not as weak as it was. Quite amazing what they've done compared to what they came out with in June. With all those rookies, they future could be bright if they can garner a high return rate. Besides next year, this year's show is now among my top 6 shows this year, which I didn't at all think could happen earlier in the season. Keep pushing, Phantom!

I agree the show is much improved, but the ending still lacks to me. The closer itself lacks movement, energy, a crowd riser in my opinion. I hope they add something to this over the last week of the season. Last year's ending was also disappointing.

Phantom Regiment....WOW....you sounded awesome tonight at Massillon! Very much the classic PR sound that we have all come to love over the decades.

You have no idea how thrilled I am to read people saying this the last few shows. Gets me excited for next year!
  • Like 1

I am very excited to see Regiment at Finals! I heard them in Madison earlier this year, and while I enjoyed it, the show didn't wow me. I watched them on FN a few times (San Antionio and Atlanta) and saw much improvement. Then I went to Allentown and was blown away at their sound. This was not the same drum corps I saw in Madison. And it sounds like they have gotten even stronger in the last couple shows. Very much looking forward to Finals!

• Like 1

Closed full-day rehearsals for today and tomorrow. Last push!

Let's take a trip down memory lane and see what our initial reactions were :P

With over a hundred rookies this year, it may be a rough road ahead. It's disappointing.
did i miss the part where they reach a dynamic level greater than mf? the whole show just kind of sat there.
Wow, there is so much dirt coming from those drums that its not even funny. The music is so un-engaging and dis-interesting that I'm not sure I care to even watch this program on the field. I think a 9th or 10th place finish will be a real win for this group.
There is no demand in the horn book at all everything just blends in im worried for them I hope the visual side of things are a lot better if not they are in trouble
Part of me wonders if that is a Top 12 show? I guess you never really know until you see the competition, but its going to be very interesting to see where they place this weekend. I will not be surprised if they struggle to make the top 10. This is a mess.
This staff is letting the kids, and the fans down.

The writing is simply one big garbled mess. The pieces sound like a bunch of randomly picked selections stuck together in desperation to get a show done. The transition and flow from one piece to another is nothing short of amateurish. The front ensemble writing sounds like a bunch of people banging around at will. And god knows, I hope the recording is responsbile for the the percussion sounding as bad as it does, if not they are in serious trouble. Quite simply, this is the worse show I've heard from PR in a long, long time.

Someone posted earlier, it looks like a 9th or 10th place for PR. I think the is being way optimistic.

So what happend with all the great things this new team of people that have previously worked together were going to produce ???

If this is the best they can do, someone better start firing people today. Starting with Dan Farrell.

Unless someone wakes up and gets rid of Dan Farrell, he is going to run this corps slam into the ground.

END OF POINT!!!!!!!!

I seriously wonder if they will make finals with this show, no matter how good the drill is.
At this point, I have to agree with those who yearn for the emotional, lush, rich brass sound of the Jim and J.D. years. Lets give Chris C and the rest of the brass staff the chance to tease that result out of what may be a youthful and somewhat inexperienced horn section. I can only hope that by the time the three A contests roll around, we will hear, and applaud, the results. In the meantime, do not give up on these kids, brass or percussion.
  • Like 1

Closed full-day rehearsals for today and tomorrow. Last push!

Let's take a trip down memory lane and see what our initial reactions were :P

Hahahahah this gave me a bit of a laugh. How quickly people (I do it too sometimes, but never with Phantom Regiment.) proclaim the downfall of a corps in the early season.

Hey look! We can both cherry pick comments! Only I chose to cherry pick positive initial responses!

Great show! Plenty of potential.

I mean, I'm just judging based on the live webcast on the fan network. I wasn't there in person. There is plenty of room for improvement, yes, but that's true with all the corps. I personally enjoyed their show, and it made a whole lot more sense with the drill. It was just a much more engaging show with guard and drill (obviously) than their standstill performance in the rain. Plus the uniforms don't look half bad!

Their first score this year was a few points lower than last year's first score, so that doesn't bode well. But then again, scores are all relative (no matter how hard they try to make them objective).

I couldn't be prouder of my brothers and sisters.

SUTA!

I'm with you! I watched the show last night a couple of times, and I liked it more and more each time. Knowing how Regiment shows have been developing over the course of the season lately, I know there is a ton of plot development/clarification that we'll be seeing over the course of the next few weeks. While some of the writing is not my favorite, it is definitely being taught well, and is on its way to being performed memorably. There is a lot going on in this show, so it's perfectly logical that there would be some very apparent bumps to iron out this early in the season. I think there is huge room for growth, and that it is growth that can be achieved. Folks who are talking about Cavies passing Regiment soon seem to think that Cavies are the only ones who will be making changes and improvements. Regiment knows how to tweak a show, and my guess is that they will be spending a lot of time on June 22 and 23 ironing things out. I, for one, am definitely looking forward to seeing how things develop over the rest of the season!

SUTA!

As I said in the Indianapolis thread, I liked the nods to recent shows by Buccaneers and Cadets, thought this show improved as it went on, and appreciated that (at the moment, anyway), there is less explicit storytelling than last year. At this point in 2013, Phantom's show felt more complete and thus less improvable.

(By way of noting my tastes, I should perhaps note that I preferred Phantom's sixth-place show in 2010 to their fifth-place show in 2013.)

I thought their brass played very well, especially considering the rumors I hear of a young line. Percussion was just fine and will improve big time. In many ways their drill was more readable than Cavaliers. I do think Cavies have the better closer both musically and visually, but this is where Phantom will concentrate if you ask me. The only real advantage Cavaliers have on Phantom is percussion (mainly pit). If PR can find a few hit points in the opener, and if they can re-write some of the closer to make sense, this show will grow and be wonderful.

Phantom tends to thrive when the emotion is there. 2008 was hardly an earth shattering design but they exploded with emotion that was contagious. 2012 was a fairly basic visual show but they medaled because the emotions took a 5th place show and banged it up to 3rd.
I think with Phantom, we let them work out the kinks and as confidence grows, we see the show blossom.

I think they're gonna be just fine. Change is good. Try it.

This is also the corps that brought you last year's cackling witch puppet with dragon wings.

For what it's worth, I think this year's overall design is light years ahead of 2013

Just watched the Muncie show with improved sound. I have no idea where this show will place (which I think is a good thing: the ups and downs so far this season are very exciting), but I'm enjoying this show more than I expected to based on last year's show (which certainly had its merits) or the concert recording. It's the kind of show that my drum corps newbie friends at Massillon will be stunned to learn isn't likely to medal (if indeed that proves to true).

Edited by ajlemm
  • Like 2

I had 9 friends with me a Massilon and all chose Phantom as their favorite show --after Bluecoats of course!! great sound and strong show for all of us--after Bluecoats of course :-)

Edited by Jast45
  • Like 2

um....this year's show is still one of regiment's lowest-scoring in longer than a decade. we are barely breaking 90. initial estimates, unfortunately, have not been too far off.

• Like 2