Phantom Regiment 2014

I've reached out twice. Looking back at his last reply, he did say a student was working on it as part of his dues (kinda awesome for the kid). Not sure what came of that. He has my contact info though. I'll be happy to work with them if their current plans don't work out.

Maybe you could reach out to other groups? DCI.org could do with a tweak or two....(or a hundred).

Edited by Lincoln

Wow, what a downer. Your design looks great! I wonder why he declined, maybe they have too much vested in their current hosting/servers whatever. It is small things like this that bug me, though. Every single aspect of a corps (or any other organization) is indicative of how a corps is run. Is it coincidence that the top corps largely have the best websites? No. Is a website design the end of the world? No. But does it represent the organization and how it's run? yes. It may not even be an accurate representation, but it is a representation.

I would probably explode in tears of joy. There was an amazing Japanese marching band that did a full verdi requiem show and it's very very good. The video is somewhere on youtube I think. I would love to see PR explore that.

Dude, what the hell? I've been saying for years that SURELY an alum or fan out there is a web person willing to do it for free. This actually upsets me.

And, for what it's worth, your design looks fantastic!

Now, now! Let's not ruffle Grammie or the dinosaur's feathers by insulting the administration on their choice for not updating the website to be in line with the times! ;P

Gabe, well done. I wish what they had looked this professional. As others have pointed out, why not switch if it is free? What barriers (familiarity with programming, previous commitments, convincing the others in admin/BOD to change it) are there? It's the things like this that make no sense. Rick even posted recently about how important branding and visibility are. Lord forbid they have someone donate time and talents to improve such things.

While it's on my mind, I was thinking about the Phueled by Phans campaign the other day (something I noticed Hoppy is now using at the Cadets). If they are in need of reducing spending, why not do that and add another benefit for the members? How so? Reduce a meal a day and sleep more. I looked at BD's and other corps scheduling and noticed that if the corps had a long travel night (aka not reaching their housing before 4 AM), they let the kids sleep in until 11 or noon and fed them brunch, which eliminated one meal for the day. Think how much better the kids would rehearse and perform when they had more sleep. In this day and age of monthly camp meetings and a month-long boot camp, do they really need to rehearse for a long time in the sweltering heat while on tour? Do they really learn/perform any better in a six hour rehearsal than in four (with the other two used for sleep)? Wouldn't sleep be more beneficial? Wouldn't more effective design/instruction/time management be better for the staff and members than constant repetition? There becomes a point when the brain and body shut down and all the drill and practice becomes ineffective. Does that make any sense?

Just something for thought.

Edited by chaos001

Now, now! Let's not ruffle Grammie or the dinosaur's feathers by insulting the administration on their choice for not updating the website to be inline with the times! ;P

I'm a fan of Rick Valenzuela and this goes back to his Vanguard days. Of everything I've seen, he comes across as a great guy and to be honest, based on everything I've seen here I just don't envy his position. I really hope he doesn't read this site.

If Rick tells someone the reason why he didn't take their offer, I won't doubt it - the reason given sounds just like Rick. He's there for a reason.

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 2

Now, now! Let's not ruffle Grammie or the dinosaur's feathers by insulting the administration on their choice for not updating the website to be in line with the times! ;P

Gabe, well done. I wish what they had looked this professional. As others have pointed out, why not switch if it is free? What barriers (familiarity with programming, previous commitments, convincing the others in admin/BOD to change it) are there? It's the things like this that make no sense. Rick even posted recently about how important branding and visibility is. Lord forbid they have someone donate time and talents to improve such things.

While it's on my mind, I was thinking about the Phueled by Phans campaign the other day (something I noticed Hoppy is now using at the Cadets). If they are in need of reducing spending, why not do that and add another benefit for the members? How so? Reduce a meal a day and sleep more. I looked at BD's and other corps scheduling and noticed that if the corps had a long travel night (aka not reaching their housing before 4 AM), they let the kids sleep in until 11 or noon and fed them brunch, which eliminated one meal for the day. Think how much better the kids would rehearse and perform when they had more sleep. In this day and age of monthly camp meetings and a month-long boot camp, do they really need to rehearse for a long time in the sweltering heat while on tour? Do they really learn/perform any better in a six hour rehearsal than in four (with the other two used for sleep)? Wouldn't sleep be more beneficial? Wouldn't more effective design/instruction/time management be better for the staff and members than constant repetition? There becomes a point when the brain and body shut down and all the drill and practice becomes ineffective. Does that make any sense?

The only thing that I found insulting was referring to me as a dinosaur. I am older for sure but I have not been put out to pasture.

I enjoy life even now to the fullest and my wisdom knows no bounds.

Boy their is nothing right that PR does and you have hit everything possible in this thread. After awhile it becomes redundant and your effectiveness is lost. All my years on this planet have given me immense wisdom and I know of what I speak. Remember what your mother told you 'to respect your elders."

• Like 1

The only thing that I found insulting was referring to me as a dinosaur. I am older for sure but I have not been put out to pasture.

I enjoy life even now to the fullest and my wisdom knows no bounds.

Boy their is nothing right that PR does and you have hit everything possible in this thread. After awhile it becomes redundant and your effectiveness is lost. All my years on this planet have given me immense wisdom and I know of what I speak. Remember what your mother told you 'to respect your elders."

Dinosaur was a reference to sutasaurus.

Nothing? No, they do some things correctly. There are other things that would be better if fixed. What I say, whether once or a thousand times, will never be effective when falling on deaf ears or when one only wants to hear positive things.

As I'll say again, I'm always toughest on those I love the most. It may be difficult to see and understand through all of my griping and criticism, but I really only want things to be the best they can be at Regiment. I'll keep beating the dead horse until change comes.

I do respect my elders; I just don't always agree with their views or what they say. My grandmother also said not to believe everything you hear and that some people don't know their ### from a hole in the ground.

Gabe, well done. I wish what they had looked this professional. As others have pointed out, why not switch if it is free? What barriers (familiarity with programming, previous commitments, convincing the others in admin/BOD to change it) are there? It's the things like this that make no sense. Rick even posted recently about how important branding and visibility is. Lord forbid they have someone donate time and talents to improve such things.

Just as an FYI, Regiment has a specific system they use when deciding sleep schedule. There is an 8 hour rule that is used whenever possible, and any hours spent on the bus counts for 1/2 time towards that 8 hours.

So, to put it this way with a hypothetical:

4 bus hours (2 hours) + 6 floor hours = 8 hours

The corps sleeps plenty, promise. Not to knock you for not having marched, but that's the kind of thing you really have to experience to truly understand.

Oh, and 4 meals a day is also pretty much a necessity when you're burning that many calories. These decisions aren't made arbitrarily. Regiment is known for going without anything that may be considered a luxury whenever possible in order to save money, so I promise you, if it were feasible to cut down on food without harming the kids and their ability to perform/have a great summer, it would have been looked into.

• Like 1

repeat

Edited by Mello Dude

Gabe, well done. I wish what they had looked this professional. As others have pointed out, why not switch if it is free? What barriers (familiarity with programming, previous commitments, convincing the others in admin/BOD to change it) are there? It's the things like this that make no sense. Rick even posted recently about how important branding and visibility are. Lord forbid they have someone donate time and talents to improve such things.

Never marched I see.....

• Like 1

Because other corps operate things more effectively then it can't be used for others because I didn't march?

Speaking of trolls...

I've marched with more than one corps and your opinion is noted and taken at the value it was given. Yes, I think you have the troll thing down.