Phantom Regiment 2014

Phantom sounded great on the Kings. The horn line is still incredible, but why in god's name would anyone ever willingly switch to Jupiter besides the cost? Just... ew. The best way to play a Jupiter is to toss it in a dumpster fire.

The Jupiters, particularly the current generation, are actually very good marching horns. The tubas are outstanding for generating a rich, dark sound.

Edited by Kamarag

Because you can get it for free or reduced cost and help with R&D? Sadly the quality isn't much better over the years.

Actually, they've improved a ton. I still prefer the King sound (Especially those System Blues. Mmmm...), but there have been huge improvements. Just listen to Juliet and Turandot back to back, and really focus on trumpet sonority. Huge difference.

• Like 1

Actually, they've improved a ton. I still prefer the King sound (Especially those System Blues. Mmmm...), but there have been huge improvements. Just listen to Juliet and Turandot back to back, and really focus on trumpet sonority. Huge difference.

The mellos though...not so much.

I agree with the System Blues. BD sounds amazing on them.

The Jupiters, particularly the current generation, are actually very good marching horns. The tubas are outstanding for generating a rich, dark sound.

You ever try lifting one, or marched one for an entire summer? Ergonomically, they're awful, and borderline irresponsible considering the physical expectations from members now and what that weight and balance does to a tuba player over the course of a summer. There's no excuse for a horn to be made like that in the post-G era now that contra lines actually move. It wouldn't seem so bad had Yamaha not figured out how to have a super light horn that also sounds great... back in 03.

Ok. Deep breath....

Anyway... slightly more on-topic, Regiment has really started to pull it together. Can't wait to see their finished product!

Meh, the player has much more to do with the sound than anything. Agree with RContra, some SERIOUS thought needs to go into Contra's these days cause couple that weight with straight leg technique you are just looking for issues down the road.

okay, I've #####ed about plenty of the bad stuff going on with their shows, so let me bring up some good points

1. drum line is massively improved. I REALLY enjoy Bret Kuhns writing, and I feel he is a great fit for the corps. I'm not sure how much he is on tour with them, but I don't really see him on the drum line lot videos. If the management is still not happy with the drum scores, I hope they don't go in a completely new direction and change the battery arranger (unless it's like Casella or something...). I feel that they can benefit more by a high quality ADDITION to the staff. Similar to what crown did with Glen Crosby. Ironically, I feel the opposite about the front ensemble. I like the way they play (minus the over the top performance body movement), but the arrangements are eh. They play very well though IMO.

2. Jamey Thompson is amazing. Not his strongest design this year, but we know what he's capable of. Even his down years are still quality designs.

3. Brass sounds great! I still remember how impressed I was when Carichner took over in 2012. After two years of a terrible brass sound (2010 and 2011) 2012 was a great change! The only downside is that they sound really flat excitement wise during the first half of the season it seems with the current teams approach. They set up sound fundementals, and then let it rip later in the season. I would like to see him stick around.

everyone else is expendable :peek: lol.

oh and also 4. They couldn't possibly do another similar (turanswanjulietjourney) show again next season, right? I will say this, if they do any sort of story with an all female guard, it IS going to feel exactly the same. I have a feeling we are going to see something much different however.

Glad the show is turning around. I just want to see it to the level that I fell in love with when I first saw this corps

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 2

Meh, the player has much more to do with the sound than anything. Agree with RContra, some SERIOUS thought needs to go into Contra's these days cause couple that weight with straight leg technique you are just looking for issues down the road.

I agree with that to an extent... but Jupiter marching trumpets and mellos really do suck. Lots of back pressure! I haven't played one since probably 2011 though. I am not good enough at low brass to judge those.

You ever try lifting one, or marched one for an entire summer? Ergonomically, they're awful, and borderline irresponsible considering the physical expectations from members now and what that weight and balance does to a tuba player over the course of a summer. There's no excuse for a horn to be made like that in the post-G era now that contra lines actually move. It wouldn't seem so bad had Yamaha not figured out how to have a super light horn that also sounds great... back in 03.

Ok. Deep breath....

Anyway... slightly more on-topic, Regiment has really started to pull it together. Can't wait to see their finished product!

Well, the corps can do what a longtime DCI music judge suggested while being interviewed on a podcast: just replace them with a synth.

okay, I've #####ed about plenty of the bad stuff going on with their shows, so let me bring up some good points

1. drum line is massively improved. I REALLY enjoy Bret Kuhns writing, and I feel he is a great fit for the corps. I'm not sure how much he is on tour with them, but I don't really see him on the drum line lot videos. If the management is still not happy with the drum scores, I hope they don't go in a completely new direction and change the battery arranger (unless it's like Casella or something...). I feel that they can benefit more by a high quality ADDITION to the staff. Similar to what crown did with Glen Crosby. Ironically, I feel the opposite about the front ensemble. I like the way they play (minus the over the top performance body movement), but the arrangements are eh. They play very well though IMO.

2. Jamey Thompson is amazing. Not his strongest design this year, but we know what he's capable of. Even his down years are still quality designs.

3. Brass sounds great! I still remember how impressed I was when Carichner took over in 2012. After two years of a terrible brass sound (2010 and 2011) 2012 was a great change! The only downside is that they sound really flat excitement wise during the first half of the season it seems with the current teams approach. They set up sound fundementals, and then let it rip later in the season. I would like to see him stick around.

everyone else is expendable :peek: lol.

oh and also 4. They couldn't possibly do another similar (turanswanjulietjourney) show again next season, right? I will say this, if they do any sort of story with an all female guard, it IS going to feel exactly the same. I have a feeling we are going to see something much different however.

Glad the show is turning around. I just want to see it to the level that I fell in love with when I first saw this corps

I certainly hope they don't do another rehash/storyline sort of show but it would be nice if the Phantomettes stayed.

I am excited for the fortitude the corps has shown this year. I know it has been dificult for the young members, but the main reason they come to march with the Regiment is that we have a tradition that is long lasting, members learn that hard work usually shows reward, a love for classical music and that we are a phamily. As you all know I love drum corps and Regiment hasd been a part of my life for many years and I really appreciate your thoughts on the corps. I am extremly glad we are ending on a positive note.

So to all the corps in the next few days good luck and break a leg.

A great big SUTA to you all.

• Like 3