Phantom Regiment 2014

wouldn't it be nice, for a change, to talk about fine tuning rather than trying to salvage a PR show. there's no question that PR is good at the fix, but if otherwise they might rise to the top again.

We haven't completed two weeks into the season yet. They aren't going to win. They came out better than expected. In the entire history of the organization they have won twice and once was a tie.

The members are proud to be part of the organization. There is being number 1 and there is winning. i know people who marched in Phantom in years they didn't win. One of them marched in a year when they came very close. They, to this day, remain extremely proud of being there.

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 4

Having a full panel probably helped. Regiment's show is flat and lacks GE. The scores also show that they're close to (and already in one subcaption) maxing out. The all black in the corps proper really muddies the visual. Not enough contrast. The music is still rather uninspiring and needs some beef. The guard need more equipment work. Just three flags again this year??

Is it me or is there something off with the style of drill this year?

PS: still hate the body movement.

I kinda like the big picture forms that Regiment was showing, BUT there is something off I guess. Maybe no "wow" moves. No "wow" drill.

Thing is that just about every corps has gone away from big drill moments towards visual moments.

• Like 1

I kinda like the big picture forms that Regiment was showing, BUT there is something off I guess. Maybe no "wow" moves. No "wow" drill.

Thing is that just about every corps has gone away from big drill moments towards visual moments.

It doesn't look any more difficult than Madison. And I was surprised at how easy so much of their show is. Both of these groups must be really young, it is almost like they programmed around the youngness?

• Like 1

It doesn't look any more difficult than Madison. And I was surprised at how easy so much of their show is. Both of these groups must be really young, it is almost like they programmed around the youngness?

That's not beyond a stretch of the imagination. Jamey's drill for the last four years is much easier than it was from '05-'07. He's not having to rewrite for staging issues as much though (like in '06).

I think that's true, for the most part, of the last few years. More staging.

So, two things I noticed while viewing Regiment's website tonight. One, the member's journal is finally up and running on a semi-regular basis.

Two, they're having to solicit funds for food? I've never seen them fundraise mid-season (maybe once when fuel was really expensive). I know that they had to have a big end of the year fundraiser this last year because they were ~$30K short. Are they hurting that bad?

Edited by chaos001

Phantoms gonna need to work hard to catch up with cavaliers

So, two things I noticed while viewing Regiment's website tonight. One, the member's journal is finally up and running on a semi-regular basis.

Two, they're having to solicit funds for food? I've never seen them fundraise mid-season (maybe once when fuel was really expensive). I know that they had to have a big end of the year fundraiser last year because they were ~$30K short. Are they hurting that bad?

Short answer, yes. The corps has never been on solid financial footing. Not as far as I know.

Short answer, yes. The corps has never been on solid financial footing. Not as far as I know.

You'd think with being an older, well liked corps with lots of alumni that they'd have a little more support. Through some alumni I've spoken with, they feel like there's not much of a welcome mat for them.

Are they really having to resort to a "Feed the Children" campaign? How does this look if you're a current or future parent?

You'd think with being an older, well liked corps with lots of alumni that they'd have a little more support. Through some alumni I've spoken with, they feel like there's not much of a welcome mat for them.

Are they really having to resort to a "Feed the Children" campaign? How does this look if you're a current or future parent?

A lot of the older alums are toxic. One of the reasons why it took so long to do an alumni hornline.

There's a thread in one of the alumni forums about how horrible all the programming is at Phantom Regiment and an alum has like 12 youtube clips of "better sections" they could have chosen for Swan Lake and they talk incessantly about the corps being bad.