Phantom Regiment 2014

Just watched the Muncie show with improved sound. I have no idea where this show will place (which I think is a good thing: the ups and downs so far this season are very exciting), but I'm enjoying this show more than I expected to based on last year's show (which certainly had its merits) or the concert recording. It's the kind of show that my drum corps newbie friends at Massillon will be stunned to learn isn't likely to medal (if indeed that proves to true).

• Like 2

100 rookies has nothing WHATSOEVER to do with bad design.

A couple other thoughts along these lines with respect to musical design and difficulty:

- With 100 rookies, I suspect you want to balance being realistic with offering a challenge. You can always begin the season with a little more challenging book then eventually water it down if the performers aren't comfortable with it.

- Even with 100 rookies, how would the talent of this corps compare with, say, 1999? I suspect they would be comparable. The 1999 musical design had much more meat to it. Apparently Wren et al. weren't worried about down-designing the brass book.

• Like 1

It's the kind of show that my drum corps newbie friends at Massillon will be stunned to learn isn't likely to medal (if indeed that proves to true).

My friends were stunned that the 2001 show only got sixth place.

Is it me - or is there too much black in the corps proper uniform at the start? It doesn't transition well to the all black look as it starts out being too similar.

There is a great contrast with the guard though - and the half / half section works well visually.

I think they should have kept the white uniform for the first part of the show (although I'm guessing a complete uniform change would have been near impossible to handle). Maybe pull a Vanguard '85 white pants change???

Later,

Mike

Is it me - or is there too much black in the corps proper uniform at the start? It doesn't transition well to the all black look as it starts out being too similar.

There is a great contrast with the guard though - and the half / half section works well visually.

I think they should have kept the white uniform for the first part of the show (although I'm guessing a complete uniform change would have been near impossible to handle). Maybe pull a Vanguard '85 white pants change???

Later,

Mike

it's not you. totally agree.

• Like 1

Duplicate

Edited by Mello Dude

Having a full panel probably helped. Regiment's show is flat and lacks GE. The scores also show that they're close to (and already in one subcaption) maxing out. The all black in the corps proper really muddies the visual. Not enough contrast. The music is still rather uninspiring and needs some beef. The guard need more equipment work. Just three flags again this year??

Is it me or is there something off with the style of drill this year?

PS: still hate the body movement.

Bad? Even I won't go that far.

Lackluster? Yes. Not as high quality as I would've expected, especially from a group of designers who've worked together for years.

I thought it was a DM in bad drag. :P

Light years? Leave the quantum physics to Crown.

Just a little bit of history repeating...

Edited by JohnZ
inappropriate
  • Like 1

Not as high quality as I would've expected, especially from a group of designers who've worked together for years.

Still brings me back to 2009. All those designers (without Jamey Thompson of course) and a show that really didn't quite ever get off it's feet.