Phantom Regiment 2014

Have you never heard of John Brazale?

Of course, but his philosophy was not the same as other deceased designers like Zingali or Brubaker. Or should I say that Regiments philosophy was music first, drill second. Brazale was more of a guard person, and a really spectacular one at that. I was thinking more drill.

Oh god, I'm gonna get sad here. Too much talent going away way too early.

I was reading the "Brass Impact! Overland Park, KS" site and found post #28 by dcdadx3 commenting on the Regiment's utilization of a gas powered generator near the sideline during their show.

Does anyone know why this was used?

And if you are tempted to post a humorous response, do so; I will use my detective skills to sort the kernel of wheat from the chaff.

On a more serious note, beginning with that post is a contentious discussion of the Colts show, including a series of replies by Chuck Naffler, their Brass Arranger, on the thought process behind the Colt's development of this year's program.

I invite you to read the discussion. Do any of the points raised echo this site's dialogue on PR's 2014 program?

Edited by 1956OPR

Well, if that is this forum's goal, some of us should probably suspend their efforts to convince chaos001 to discontinue his/her posts.

If it were not for the edge which chaos001 brings to this discussion and the counterpoints offered by those who object in some manner to those postings, we would never reach zigzigZag's goal.

I for one enjoy chaos001's contributions as much as I enjoy anyone (particularly those who have had, like me, the opportunity to line up on the starting line with our corps) who takes the time and makes the effort to offer their judgements and weave their suggestions about what can be done to improve each years's final product/program.

I've only been on DCP a short time but as to factual matters about the Regiment, I can count on his veracity.

As to his opinions, so be it. Although some perceive them as "hateful" or "mean" or "cutting", others may understand them as honest and open critiques of what she believes is happening in "Phantom's world" vs what should be happening or could be done to give the current members, the kids, the best drum corps and life experiences possible. I am among those that hold the second view.

Out of chaos will come order.

SUTA!

Michael

Soprano Bugle

Phantom Regiment

1956-1960

PS Lincoln, I will be posting another comment shortly (on the "phantom alumni horn line" site started by the esteemed Mr. Boo) about the recent alumni gathering in Rockford. Something I forgot to post earlier.

Lord. Don't blacklist yourself so early. :p

• Like 2

Nothing Chaos has said has even approached the level of criticism John Brazale could dish out during a rehearsal. LOL. That man was a poet. (And still missed, btw.)

I've heard stories. You'd be surprised how much I actually do censor myself.

I was reading the "Brass Impact! Overland Park, KS" site and found post #28 by dcdadx3 commenting on the Regiment's utilization of a gas powered generator near the sideline during their show.

Does anyone know why this was used?

And if you are tempted to post a humorous response, do so; I will use my detective skills to sort the kernel of wheat from the chaff.

On a more serious note, beginning with that post is a contentious discussion of the Colts show, including a series of replies by Chuck Naffler, their Brass Arranger, on the thought process behind the Colt's development of this year's program.

I invite you to read the discussion. Do any of the points raised echo this site's dialogue on PR's 2014 program?

The generator is used to power the sound board and equipment.

So I just watched PR twice...once last night before bed and again this morning. The show grew on me a lot by the second reading.

I really do not get what all the fuss and criticism in this thread is about. The show is just fine and will do respectably well in August.

The guard has a very meaty book and when cleaned up, that caption will really shine. They are doing some really great things....impactful rifle work/ tosses and the all-movement "Rockord files" section is amazing.

The hornline sounds great. The music/ arrangement is very red-meat Phantom imo.... and you have to give credit for no narration and ixnay on an over-reliance on electronics. The drill will improve over time as things are added/ cleaned up.

Honestly, reading some of the posts on here, I thought the show would not be good at all. It is quite good and overwhelmingly, the many comments attached to the video I watched are very positive and encouraging. Maybe these commenters are naive; maybe some posters on here are too jaded, maybe it's a combination.

Either way, Phantom won't win this year, but they will represent very well and finish in the top 7.

The sky is not falling.

Edited by ordsw24
  • Like 1