Phantom Regiment 2014

Do you know anything about Swan Lake?

Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis. Do I need to know anything more than that?

• Like 1

Mr. Chaos or Ms. Chaos as I far as can see Regiment does not do anthing right according to to your observations.

What are your observations specifically based on? Maybe you should go on the road with them and obtain your info viewing the real thing. That could prove to be very interesting. Getting your info first hand instead of second and third hand gives more credence to what you think, but then again would that make a difference? Could you see the forest for the trees?

Edited by grammie12

The knitting needles are out...

Mr. Chaos or Ms. Chaos as I far as can see Regiment does not do anthing right according to to your observations.

What are your observations specifically based on? Maybe you should go on the road with them and obtain your info viewing the real thing. That could prove to be very interesting. Getting your info first hand instead of second and third hand gives more credence to what you think, but then again would that make a difference? Could you see the forest for the trees?

• Like 1

Ya my thoughts too. Already posted (taken down) if he/she could point to the part of the doll Regiment touched.

As an alum from way back (see signature line), a lot of my frustration has been at the corps lack of getting recognized (competitively) for what they were doing. I actually prefer shows where a musical phrase/statement is carried through and not hacked apart for the sake of a visual "wow." This, music, has typically been what the Regiment stood for. Good or bad, the activity is now more about visual staging, props and becoming a stage show.

I think the kids in all the corps are fantastic. My problem, as Chaos has pointed out with Regiment, is design. Why corps feel the need to do something just because they can, makes no sense to me.

I would enjoy Crowns show just as much without trampolines. In fact, they did nothing to help define their show (IMO). If I have to have a degree in quantum physics to enjoy your show, I probably won't.

I was initially skeptical of the corps choice of programming and music. Then, seeing it in Rockford, it surprised me (musically). Visually, it's not the same as what Crown or BD is doing, which seems to be what the judges want to see. Thus, they will not score well in that category. My criticism musically, if you want to call it criticism, would be that, for 80 brass, I expect more volume, no, I want more volume. Perhaps that will come.

As one of the long time alum, I, unfortunately, never expect the corps to win, which is pretty sad actually. However, if they are entertaining and the crowd responds, that's good enough. If they were ever to fully "play the game," I'm not sure how that would be received, even by diehard fans. So, it's almost a ###### if you do, ###### if you don't scenario,

Michael, it was an honor to share the field with you on the 20th. Hope to do it again in the not too distant future. Speaking of the alumni gig. I believe it was a great first step for the corps in reaching out to past members. It's success will hopefully result in additional alumni participation opportunities and increased financial support from said alums.

• Like 4

The knitting needles are out...

I appreciate grammie12's posts. It's nice to hear the counter argument to what we've heard, if we think too hard about what we've read prior. Grammie12 - your posts here are refreshing! Thank you for being so dedicated.

I also really like 1956OPR's posts because he appreciates everything he's been able to experience from many years past and shows how the opportunity to again be part of a corps he was in, has been pretty much what other alumni would expect - an absolutely great experience. He was in Phantom before I was born. What a truly dedicated Phan. Looking at what he writes - he shows all the benefits of having been part of this activity and to still appreciate it no matter what changes have happened to it. His post about a member of the forum from yesterday was one significant class act. I hope he continues to post because I really love to read what he writes.

One more thing. I've read this forum for a long time. I'm a Phantom phan. I have loved them from the time I first saw them. I know from many years past that there is a poster here who may post stuff that many don't agree with, but who in years past, has gone as far to sponser more than one member of the corps he comments about.

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 5

As an alum from way back (see signature line), a lot of my frustration has been at the corps lack of getting recognized (competitively) for what they were doing. I actually prefer shows where a musical phrase/statement is carried through and not hacked apart for the sake of a visual "wow." This, music, has typically been what the Regiment stood for. Good or bad, the activity is now more about visual staging, props and becoming a stage show.

I think the kids in all the corps are fantastic. My problem, as Chaos has pointed out with Regiment, is design. Why corps feel the need to do something just because they can, makes no sense to me.

I would enjoy Crowns show just as much without trampolines. In fact, they did nothing to help define their show (IMO). If I have to have a degree in quantum physics to enjoy your show, I probably won't.

I was initially skeptical of the corps choice of programming and music. Then, seeing it in Rockford, it surprised me (musically). Visually, it's not the same as what Crown or BD is doing, which seems to be what the judges want to see. Thus, they will not score well in that category. My criticism musically, if you want to call it criticism, would be that, for 80 brass, I expect more volume, no, I want more volume. Perhaps that will come.

As one of the long time alum, I, unfortunately, never expect the corps to win, which is pretty sad actually. However, if they are entertaining and the crowd responds, that's good enough. If they were ever to fully "play the game," I'm not sure how that would be received, even by diehard fans. So, it's almost a ###### if you do, ###### if you don't scenario,

Michael, it was an honor to share the field with you on the 20th. Hope to do it again in the not too distant future. Speaking of the alumni gig. I believe it was a great first step for the corps in reaching out to past members. It's success will hopefully result in additional alumni participation opportunities and increased financial support from said alums.

Thank you for seeing what I do.

My problem has been with their design and a few operational things. I do know first hand what goes on while on the road.

Think about it. Does this show feel like Regiment? Sound like Regiment? Does it have the same feel as '03-'08 or even '89-'96? I don't hear it or feel it this year or last. The storyline shows are making me numb.

A lot of the issue is the music. Not passionate enough for me. The Tchaikovsky and Dukas pieces work together, but the cinematic stuff doesn't blend together.

They are doing better than I expected, especially for being so green. I wish the vehicle was stronger. The judges' scores are already showing them meeting or exceeding design.

I just wish they made me feel like they used to. Sorry if it's selfish, but it's what I want.

Edited by chaos001
  • Like 1

I think this year's show is a good start. I am excited and hoping to see the closer be rewritten, much like 2012 was. Hopefully a company front for the hit and a kick halt somewhere. Who knows the deal with the kick halt? Some years several, last year none. It is my favorite part of being a Regiment fan. Hopefully this year it returns.

Does it have the same feel as '03-'08 or even '89-'96? I don't hear it or feel it this year or last. The storyline shows are making me numb.

Interestingly, I would have put it the other way 'round: "as '89-'96 or even '03-'08?", since I prefer the earlier period to the later, on average. (And I'm quite fond of the Wagner in '97, too.) In particular, I would fault "Faust" for its storyline, the very problem you identify for more recent shows. When I first attended Allentown, in 2010, I was just getting back into my drum corps fandom after some time away. I had seen "Spartacus" at the cinema two years earlier, but sitting next to a father and son who were huge Phantom fans, I was extolled to get the 2006 video as quickly as I could. They had praise especially for that show's plot and twist ending. Maybe they raised my expectations too high, for I was let down when I saw the show. (Although part of my disappointment probably came from the fact that I already knew Biebl's "Ave Maria", from its magnificent choral recording by Chanticleer, which no other version could surpass.)

Speaking of 2010, "Into the Light" is my favorite Phantom show since "Spartacus".

• Like 1

I think this year's show is a good start. I am excited and hoping to see the closer be rewritten, much like 2012 was. Hopefully a company front for the hit and a kick halt somewhere. Who knows the deal with the kick halt? Some years several, last year none. It is my favorite part of being a Regiment fan. Hopefully this year it returns.

It's there. Pay attention to the end of the chevron set.