Phantom Regiment 2014

I just wish they made me feel like they used to. Sorry if it's selfish, but it's what I want.

It's not selfish to want it. It's not selfish to express what you want. It IS selfish to elevate what you want over what everyone else does.

It's not selfish to want it. It's not selfish to express what you want. It IS selfish to elevate what you want over what everyone else does.

Well, if wanting better music and less storyline based shows is selfish, so be it. I'm sure there are more than just me who wants that. Everyone is a rather hard term to prove in your case.

Edited by chaos001

Well, if wanting better music and less storyline based shows is selfish, so be it. I'm sure there are more than just me who wants that. Everyone is a rather hard term to prove in your case.

Well, I was really just throwing the thought out there for consideration if and to the extent it applies to anyone, not necessarily you in particular. I was responding to your statement, not necessarily your behavior. Perhaps if I had time to review all 71 pages I would find that each of your posts offers some unique point rather than being an attempt to monopolize opinion. Time is in short supply and benefit of the doubt is abundant aplenty, so no specific accusation should be inferred.

I am not claiming to know what everyone wants or doesn't want, I am simply saying each of said everyone is equally important. If one or a few people dominate the boards with the same opinion over and over it distorts people's perceptions. There was a good bit of criticism of last year's show from a few on this board also, as I remember, and I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who really loved the show. I felt a little less alone after hearing from the fans in the seats, though.

I keep hearing the word 'storyline' or 'story' used with disdain. I can understand why it may not do anything FOR someone but I am not sure I understand what harm it does TO anyone. Have I been complicit in failing to recognize this demon called 'story' lurking in the shadows waiting to do unspeakable things to puppies and kittens? Should my house be equipped with story windows to keep out stories and a story cellar in which to seek refuge from them?

I appreciate grammie12's posts. It's nice to hear the counter argument to what we've heard, if we think too hard about what we've read prior. Grammie12 - your posts here are refreshing! Thank you for being so dedicated.

You have some great points. And I, too, appreciate the dedication of Grammie.

But I don't actually think she's provided a counter argument. Her argument has essentially been "don't bash the corps I love." While I get that perspective, I don't see a strong defense for the issues that Chaos has (among others). Chaos is disappointed with the design - what is the argument against that? Maybe there are nuances that he is missing - that would be a good counter argument.

You have some great points. And I, too, appreciate the dedication of Grammie.

But I don't actually think she's provided a counter argument. Her argument has essentially been "don't bash the corps I love." While I get that perspective, I don't see a strong defense for the issues that Chaos has (among others). Chaos is disappointed with the design - what is the argument against that? Maybe there are nuances that he is missing - that would be a good counter argument.

I used the wrong description. I was actually referring to the discussion regarding the new food campaign. Grammie indicated that it was to offset the cost of gasoline.

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 2

Hi All,

I haven't read all 70+ pages here, so sorry if any of this has been discussed already. Saw a bootleg video of Regiment from last week. It's not a bad design at all - and if they do have 100 rookies, they are doing quite well.

If I have a big beef with anything, it's the guard changing tubes. Too much distraction, for far too long, without much of any payoff - it's very clear what they are and the guard seems to take forever to change their costume.

I must say that I didn't know the Swan Lake story line, so I did some research. The show sort of follows the storyline, I guess, but I'm puzzled by a few things:

- The story has 4 characters that could have been portrayed on the field: Odette (the swan queen), Prince Siegfried (love interest of Odette), Von Rothbart (evil sorcerer that turned Odette and others into swans), and Odile (Von Rothbart's daughter, whom he has cast a spell on to appear to be Odette, in an attempt to trick Siegfried into falling in love with). Odette and Siegfried appear on the field at times, but Von Rothbart and Odile do not, unless I missed it. Perhaps the corps is representing those characters? It would be easier to follow the story if those characters were more easily identifiable (more on that later)...

- The story synopsis I read says that those 4 characters die at the end. I'll assume that only Siegfried dying and Odette simply disappearing at the end is a temporary ending, with a more complete ending to come in the future.

- Continuing on the character portrayal path, is it remotely possible that Regiment would dare to take another shot at using a giant puppet, to bring Von Rothbart onto the field? There's a very large panel backfield on the 50. I'm just sayin'