Phantom Regiment 2014

- Continuing on the character portrayal path, is it remotely possible that Regiment would dare to take another shot at using a giant puppet, to bring Von Rothbart onto the field? There's a very large panel backfield on the 50. I'm just sayin'

I noticed the different panel sizes as well. There seem to be 4 different sizes. Two small ones, then two a bit larger, then two even larger with the tallest in the middle.

i don't think there's going to be another puppet on the field for a long time.

If I have a big beef with anything, it's the guard changing tubes. Too much distraction, for far too long, without much of any payoff - it's very clear what they are and the guard seems to take forever to change their costume.

I must say that I didn't know the Swan Lake story line, so I did some research. The show sort of follows the storyline, I guess, but I'm puzzled by a few things:

- The story has 4 characters that could have been portrayed on the field: Odette (the swan queen), Prince Siegfried (love interest of Odette), Von Rothbart (evil sorcerer that turned Odette and others into swans), and Odile (Von Rothbart's daughter, whom he has cast a spell on to appear to be Odette, in an attempt to trick Siegfried into falling in love with). Odette and Siegfried appear on the field at times, but Von Rothbart and Odile do not, unless I missed it. Perhaps the corps is representing those characters? It would be easier to follow the story if those characters were more easily identifiable (more on that later)...

Thank you for outlining the major characters. I'm really not much of a ballet person but I read a synopsis of Swan Lake because of the DC show. I tried to compare what I read to what I see on the field and I got as far as Siegfried (keeps his white uniform/helmut on), Odette (keeps her white costume on) and Odile (in black seen dancing for a portion with Siegfried).

I was wondering why we don't see Odette dying on the field at the end. I can't get a good glimpse as to what actually happens aside from Siegfried laying on the ground at the end.

Edit: I saw a bit of a better closeup youtube. I think the guard member who plays Odette pulls out a black cape thing as Siegfried lies down on the group. She wraps herself in the black cape thing and hides behind a horn player until the end.

In the ballet, doesn't Odette die from disappointment or something because Siegfried married Odile when he thought he was marrying Odette?

Edited by Lincoln

Well, I was really just throwing the thought out there for consideration if and to the extent it applies to anyone, not necessarily you in particular. I was responding to your statement, not necessarily your behavior. Perhaps if I had time to review all 71 pages I would find that each of your posts offers some unique point rather than being an attempt to monopolize opinion. Time is in short supply and benefit of the doubt is abundant aplenty, so no specific accusation should be inferred.

I am not claiming to know what everyone wants or doesn't want, I am simply saying each of said everyone is equally important. If one or a few people dominate the boards with the same opinion over and over it distorts people's perceptions. There was a good bit of criticism of last year's show from a few on this board also, as I remember, and I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who really loved the show. I felt a little less alone after hearing from the fans in the seats, though.

I keep hearing the word 'storyline' or 'story' used with disdain. I can understand why it may not do anything FOR someone but I am not sure I understand what harm it does TO anyone. Have I been complicit in failing to recognize this demon called 'story' lurking in the shadows waiting to do unspeakable things to puppies and kittens? Should my house be equipped with story windows to keep out stories and a story cellar in which to seek refuge from them?

- the dialectical approach isn't one sided. if one's perception is distorted by others, it's because of his/her inability to discern on his/her own.

- the storyline approach is just tiresome. it doesn't do harm, but telling the same/similar plot from different sources gets old.

I used the wrong description. I was actually referring to the discussion regarding the new food campaign. Grammie indicated that it was to offset the cost of gasoline.

Still doesn't negate the fact that prior proper planning wasn't pursued.

Hi All,

I haven't read all 70+ pages here, so sorry if any of this has been discussed already. Saw a bootleg video of Regiment from last week. It's not a bad design at all - and if they do have 100 rookies, they are doing quite well.

If I have a big beef with anything, it's the guard changing tubes. Too much distraction, for far too long, without much of any payoff - it's very clear what they are and the guard seems to take forever to change their costume.

I must say that I didn't know the Swan Lake story line, so I did some research. The show sort of follows the storyline, I guess, but I'm puzzled by a few things:

- The story has 4 characters that could have been portrayed on the field: Odette (the swan queen), Prince Siegfried (love interest of Odette), Von Rothbart (evil sorcerer that turned Odette and others into swans[/size]), and Odile (Von Rothbart's daughter, whom he has cast a spell on to appear to be Odette, in an attempt to trick [/size]Siegfried into falling in love with[/size]). Odette and Siegfried appear on the field at times, but [/size]Von Rothbart and Odile do not, unless I missed it. Perhaps the corps is representing those characters? It would be easier to follow the story if those characters were more easily identifiable (more on that later)...[/size]

- The story synopsis I read says that those 4 characters die at the end. I'll assume that only Siegfried dying and Odette simply disappearing at the end is a temporary ending, with a more complete ending to come in the future.[/size]

- Continuing on the character portrayal path, is it remotely possible that Regiment would dare to take another shot at using a giant puppet, to bring [/size]Von Rothbart onto the field? There's a very large panel backfield on the 50. I'm just sayin'[/size]

Von Rothbart appears with the "Voldemort" voiceover.

PLEASE LORD NO MORE PUPPETS EVER.

Edited by chaos001
  • Like 2

Thank you for seeing what I do.

My problem has been with their design and a few operational things. I do know first hand what goes on while on the road.

Think about it. Does this show feel like Regiment? Sound like Regiment? Does it have the same feel as '03-'08 or even '89-'96? I don't hear it or feel it this year or last. The storyline shows are making me numb.

A lot of the issue is the music. Not passionate enough for me. The Tchaikovsky and Dukas pieces work together, but the cinematic stuff doesn't blend together.

They are doing better than I expected, especially for being so green. I wish the vehicle was stronger. The judges' scores are already showing them meeting or exceeding design.

I just wish they made me feel like they used to. Sorry if it's selfish, but it's what I want.

I agree with Chaos in that the corps just simply does not look or sound like it did from years past. They have been one of my favorites for at least 35 yeears and it is sad to see/hear what they have become. I too am surprised that they are scoring as well as they are, but truely believe it's the work of the kids that is bringing up the scores, not the show itself. It would be nice to see them take the powerful and engaging classical music they used to play and bring it into the 21st century.

• Like 1

I agree. Perhaps if that is how they were introducing the black swan character. But half of guard has already changed by then, so I don't get why they've designed it like that. Also, it would be more effective if it happened really quickly - perhaps that's something they're working on.

Since I am a decrepit old lady and still rocking in my chair I would love to meet you all face to face. It miight surprise you but my old age (cough, cough) does not inhibit my ability to think and make unbiased conclusions. Yes it is true I am a Regiment fan and sometimes my thoughts are clouded and biased, But they are not at the present time. I know I cant change yout minds. If I had the time and space I would be more than glad to discuss Chaos's positions, but I am old fashioned and would like to do it face to face with everything in the open. I probably know more about the corps than all of you combined. You might be surprised at my observations of this years show. Happy Fourth to all of you.

Oh by the way I do not knit I think am being stereotyped.

I agree with Chaos in that the corps just simply does not look or sound like it did from years past. They have been one of my favorites for at least 35 yeears and it is sad to see/hear what they have become. I too am surprised that they are scoring as well as they are, but truely believe it's the work of the kids that is bringing up the scores, not the show itself. It would be nice to see them take the powerful and engaging classical music they used to play and bring it into the 21st century.

I don't see this 2014 Phantom Regiment edition all that much different at all from most Phantom Regiment editions. They sound and march and look pretty much the same too me, although with reportedly 100 new marchers this year, they are not challenging for a top 4 placement position as we usually see them doing. But they still are doing shows with classical music, and shows with stellar looking guard, and with a show theme where someone expresses love and where someone dies in the show. So it seems like the same formulaic Phantom Regiment to me... even though it apparently doesn't have the same Phantom Regiment vibe with a few others here on DCP. Its still seems like Phantom Regiment to me, and one that lots of fans away from DCP appear to still enjoy from Phantom for 2014.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

Some have complained, not necessarily here, that they keep doing the same old thing (speaking musically for a moment). While not as radical a departure as they made in '93 (which was an AWESOME show), the 2014 show is a departure from "typical" Regiment shows (as I see it) in these ways. There are more drum breaks than usual including the one not too far into the show, there is no real ballad (IMO) as we are use to hearing, the music is more aggressive (again IMO) than typical, among other things.

Other corps have greatly departed from their roots (BD for example), but they have done so successfully by writing to the sheets. So, you have to ask yourselves, do we want to see the Regiment turn into BD? While it may bring them competitive success, is completely losing your identity worth the price? Of course, you could choose to look at it as redefining their identity. That is certainly what BD has done. BD's shows from year to year are definitely different. We may call them strange or bizarre, but it works for them.

Every year some friends of mine do our preseason predictions, unfortunately, the Regiment was "predicted" to finish anywhere from 4th to 8th. However, the top 3 predictions contained the same corps, BD, Crown, and Cadets. This completely unscientific poll suggests that the corps (Regiment) is too unpredictable, or it is a recognition of the fact that, if the stars align correctly, the corps could have a good season (competitively).

The corps past success (08) is no guarantee of future success (09). Nonetheless, I will continue to pull for them while recognizing that competitive success (top 3) while nice, may not necessarily be the goal/objective I should hope for.

• Like 2