LOL - somewhere between 1980-1982 (I was working shift work and went straight to work after SIB) there was this newer group called Steel City Ambassadors. Started out with a walier of a number and the guy hitting the high note was to the back of the audience. DM started directing and when he got to the wail he just turned around.. pointed... and SURPRISE.... *wow"

Don't get me started Ray as worked it bunch o' years. Favorite inside story was talking to the Air Force two years in a row late 70s. One year the whole corps sat in the planes for hours waiting for a 10 minute window when the wind would die down. OK... get ready.. now... Other year it was "How was the trip?" "Not bad, lost a windshield over Kansas thou". "Uhhhh... you guys are in the right place (IOW the Air Force).

Only the USAF flies in crap like that - I know - 5 Air Medals later. People come to me at the airport now and say "Is flying actually safe?" and internally I think "I may be the last person you want to ask that question"

Speaking of going to shift work after the 82 SIB - I went to the post show party - got my balls broken by Larry and the Westshoremen who were ###### that the Hurcs had won the DCI at Franklin Field, left the party around 3am and drove straight through to a 9am rehearsal in Derby CT (in a church, no less).

About half way through, famed Mag 7 soloist Dougie Oravez (picking up on my worn out nerves) spoke up and said "What is this? Obedience training?" I mellowed out quickly.

Great days - great show - the "Evening with the Corps at Carnegie Hall" for the next drum corps generation.

Much admiration to Mr Herschman for keeping it going as long as he did.

Edited by rayfallon

Art,

Please read my post again. I am saying the PRICE is too high for a Drum Corps show.The fact that we are not playing really doesn't matter.The admission price is way too high for any Drum Corps show. If my friends & family happen to be in town ,we might attend the show. Just isn't worth a special trip to pay that kind of money for a show. I and my family have attended the Plymouth show since it started in 1996.We have always supported it . I did not play in the show until 2001.The price used to be reasonable. I didn't say anything about "weak links" . In your post you didn't seem to understand why the show doesn't sell out anymore. All I am saying is that I think it is the high admission price. NOT the quality of the Corps that play. Very sorry if i hurt anyones feelings.

Mike D.

Would the high ticket cost be due to the performance fee's the various Corps charge to attend?

• 1 month later...

The ticket price as I understand it is to cover the appearance fees for the corps.

MOST corps charge $2500.00 for a parade. Add an evening performance and the price HAS to go up. Even at that some corps LOSE money doing Plymouth as they have to cover travel expenses and food.

The 2013 show had 9 corps. The hall holds 1000 people. The ticket price was $30.00. The show producer needs to sell out to cover her expenses, The attendence has been dwindling the past few years and sponsers have come forward to cover the unsold tickets. As I understand it the Plymouth Hometown Celebration Committee covers little to no part of the corps parade or performance fees, The money has to come from somewhere, so the price goes up.

If you want to see drum corps in exhibition at a good price then attend any of the Buglers Hall Of Fame I&E and mini corps shows. Most feature a talented line up in competition, and some GREAT corps in exhibition. The price? $10.00!

The event schedule is listed on their site www.buglershalloffame.com

I will be posting the line up for the Springfield Regional BHOF Show soon. As of this writing we have 2 mini's and 5 exhibition units!

How great was it prior to the '90 season to have both Bluecoats and Crossmen on stage at that show! Bluecoats blew (blue?) them away. By the end of the season, not so much, but what a great performance. Also the Marine DC.

Think it's possible we got spoiled with the Serenade in Brass? Think we may have come to expect too much? Some amazing performances there over the years.

Miss it every Spring.

The Hanover Lancers alumni corps has done a great job of picking up where Serenade left off. Their "Profiles in Music" show has been a sellout the past two years, and I'm guessing there will be a packed house this year, too. April 12 in York, PA.

Not quite the same vibe as Harrisburg... but still a terrific lineup. This show has become the new "home" for the Westshoremen Alumni, and our once-a-year "World Tour" performance. LOL.