2014 Predictions Thread

I'm not going to blast you...as in some ways i feel you are right. However, corps at the top of A Class I feel DO do it right, just with fewer bodies. Govies, White Sabers, Sun Devils and Windsor all program wisely for what they have, and perform well. In fact, some of them do a better job of programming than some of the bottom of Open Class.

• Like 3

"...program wisely for what they have, and perform well..." ALWAYS worked in drum corps..... well said, Jeff

Edited by JoeDz
  • Like 1

"...program wisely for what they have, and perform well..." ALWAYS worked in drum corps..... well said, Jeff

i know, i know, i'm being logical again

99.0 Buccs

98.3 Cadets 2

98.2 Cabs

98.1 MBI

96.9 Bush

95.2 Alliance

94.9 CV

93.2 Fusion

89.7 Hurcs

88.9 Sun

88.5 Sky

88.0 Kilties

87.9 Gold

I would tend to agree with you in terms of possible rankings. Reading is just to far ahead of the curve and as much as you have to admire the Cabs, C2 would seem better positioned to put out the type of demand necessary to make a run. An interesting pick with Bush in the top five! I've always thought if Bush could come out with a full, or close to full line with a consistent membership, that they could make things competitive.

I love how everyone hypes of C2 and yet they only placed 5th these 2 years. Of course maybe I'm missing something but their brass lines don't exactly "wow" me. Generally out of tune, unbalanced, and not powerful. The Bucs never seem to be balanced correctly. LOTS of mellophone and no tuba. As a low brass guy I specifically listen for them but never was able to hear them. Not to mention I've heard not so good things coming out of their camp. I just think that Reading is generally VERY overrated.

I'm still pulling for Cabs just because I loved their show last year, their tuba section rocked, and they have the upward momentum in their favor. Coming from 5th place finishes to 3rd in 2012 and then overtaking MBI at Finals in 2013 to come in 2nd.

I would be ok with MBI just not a fan of their show concepts.

• Like 1

Cadets 2 taking 5th in there first two seasons is an impressive feat. I doubt any other DCA Open Class coprs has ever done this. If you didn't hear a big improvement from year 1 to 2 in their sound, you just weren't listening with open ears.

"Reading is generally VERY overrated." Really? I know this is your opinion, but to me, this smells like sour grapes. You don't have to love everything about them, but c'mon, man. They have won every show but 2 for the last decade. 8 rings aren't won on a fluke. They are definitely still the team to beat.

I agree with you that Cabs have a lot of momentum. I definitely hope to see them come out strong again. I posted my predictions based on momentum from last year. Obviously, anything can happen at this point, but I see a much different Top 5 happening this year, at least the order of it.

There's lots of really good corps out there these days. Wouldn't it be great if 6 or 7 corps actually did finish with a well deserved 95+?

I love how everyone hypes of C2 and yet they only placed 5th these 2 years. Of course maybe I'm missing something but their brass lines don't exactly "wow" me. Generally out of tune, unbalanced, and not powerful. The Bucs never seem to be balanced correctly. LOTS of mellophone and no tuba. As a low brass guy I specifically listen for them but never was able to hear them. Not to mention I've heard not so good things coming out of their camp. I just think that Reading is generally VERY overrated.

I'm still pulling for Cabs just because I loved their show last year, their tuba section rocked, and they have the upward momentum in their favor. Coming from 5th place finishes to 3rd in 2012 and then overtaking MBI at Finals in 2013 to come in 2nd.

I would be ok with MBI just not a fan of their show concepts.

Edited by oldephard

So Reading has won EVERY show they have entered, with the exception of 2, since 2005! Every time I have seen them in competition, the show was basically over as soon as they finished their opener. So saying that Reading is "overrated" would seem a bit of an understatement. A silly one at that....

Edited by VOReason

Cadets 2 taking 5th in there first two seasons is an impressive feat. I doubt any other DCA Open Class coprs has ever done this. If you didn't hear a big improvement from year 1 to 2 in their sound, you just weren't listening with open ears.

"Reading is generally VERY overrated." Really? I know this is your opinion, but to me, this smells like sour grapes. You don't have to love everything about them, but c'mon, man. They have won every show but 2 for the last decade. 8 rings aren't won on a fluke. They are definitely still the team to beat.

I agree with you that Cabs have a lot of momentum. I definitely hope to see them come out strong again. I posted my predictions based on momentum from last year. Obviously, anything can happen at this point, but I see a much different Top 5 happening this year, at least the order of it.

There's lots of really good corps out there these days. Wouldn't it be great if 6 or 7 corps actually did finish with a well deserved 95+?

how dare you use logic and reason in an off season predictions thread

:tounge2:

I just think that Reading is generally VERY overrated.

Don't know about anyone else... but I gotta figure there are a bunch of corps who would love to be "overrated" like the Bucs. :smile:

• Like 1

I stand by my statement. Why aren't the music ensemble judges nailing them for unbalanced brass sound. Couldn't hear the tubas during most of the show and their feature with the drum line in person and can only hear a little bit of it on the dvd. Its a good thing they had an awesome mello line this year because thats all I can hear. Their brass intonation is awful. Their percussion is good I'll give them that.

My point about C2 was that they aren't a threat to the likes of MBI or Cabs. They rely too heavily on Cadets to fill in after DCI is over to be clean and get the scores close enough all season. I'm glad they're around don't get me wrong but I don't think they're quite there yet.