2014 Predictions Thread

Andy's post got my hopes up, then I read on and got to the part where we were wadding up paper to shoot wet spit-balls at one another.

Oh well... why should December 24th be any different, right?

Merry Christmas to all that gather here, and a safe and successful 2014 for the corps involved in DCA and the rest of our activity.

Peace on Earth and Good Will to DCP.

even if they deserve the win?.....,.... now that's starting to sound like ANYONE BUT BLUE DEVILS....... :satisfied:....but maybe you were kidding....lol :silly:

This is like 2009 & 2010's ABR. Anyone But Reading. The last time that came out in full force was 2009.

• Like 1

The troll is a Cabs alum. It seems pretty obvious and the bias is understandable.

Good thing you're not a judge, huh?

Not an alum, definitely a fan of the corps though (as well as many other corps, like Alliance, MBI and others). I am low brass bias though.

Yes Cabs bari line had it's issues. The difference between a troll and myself is that I have no problems mentioning a corps shortcomings. Cabs visual (not their colorguard but their drill) was just dirty. If they expect to be back in the Top 3 again they need to be cleaner. Looks like they had significnt visual staff turnover which can be good or bad. We'll see in Wildwood (hopefully I can make it down)

As far as C2 I didn't hear what Hopkins said so I don't know what that's about and quite honestly don't care.

And yes you can indeed balance a hornline. If all I hear is trumpets and mellophones you're doing something wrong. Or all tuba or all baris or whatever.

Not an alum, definitely a fan of the corps though (as well as many other corps, like Alliance, MBI and others). I am low brass bias though.

Yes Cabs bari line had it's issues. The difference between a troll and myself is that I have no problems mentioning a corps shortcomings. Cabs visual (not their colorguard but their drill) was just dirty. If they expect to be back in the Top 3 again they need to be cleaner. Looks like they had significnt visual staff turnover which can be good or bad. We'll see in Wildwood (hopefully I can make it down)

As far as C2 I didn't hear what Hopkins said so I don't know what that's about and quite honestly don't care.

And yes you can indeed balance a hornline. If all I hear is trumpets and mellophones you're doing something wrong. Or all tuba or all baris or whatever.

actually trolls are always good at mentioning issues.

as far as visual in general last year I noticed issues even on finals weekend not seen before. i think it's two things...the demand required on a weekend only schedule may make it to hard to get it truly clean as well as no visual judge on the field to comment and address/score the issues.

I've believe this is the best open class group in a number of years. Most competitive.

For the past few years it's been, Reading and "can MBI beat them". Now it's, who will beat Reading next, C2/Cabs/MBI? Reading is still the standard.

I think MBI will come back very motivated.

1. Minnesota

2. Reading

3. C2

4. Cabs

5. Alliance

6-10 the rest still figuring it out

I appreciate the opportunities that A class brings for its members. But in my opinion, it's just bad drum corps. No one will convince me otherwise. Sure, some march well, play well, but overall it's similar to the bottom half of 1985 division 3 DCI. Cute, but not the deal. Before the 4 people on here blast me about me about my comments, if you truly get excited watching these groups, then you are an altruistic personality who is better than I.

Sorry, but this type of elitist* attitude is part of what's killing the activity.

DCA is nothing without a strong A Class field. If you you want butts in the seats, you gotta make it accessible. Sure, there's several groups that don't have it figured out. But the corps that DO have it figured out always entertain me.

2011 will always stand out. I saw more performance energy from Govies, Fusion, and Carolina Gold than a lot of the Open Class field. It's no surprise that these corps scored higher than several Open Class groups.

Sure, some years are better than others, but to write off Class A as "bad drum corps" is stupid. On paper, the only difference between Class A and Open Class is member numbers. That's it. I would rather see a corps that knows its limits put out a stellar show than a large corps full of poorly trained newbs put out crap (which is a bigger problem).

*I hate using that buzz word, but I can't think of a better one.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar

Sorry, but this type of elitist* attitude is part of what's killing the activity.

DCA is nothing without a strong A Class field. If you you want butts in the seats, you gotta make it accessible. Sure, there's several groups that don't have it figured out. But the corps that DO have it figured out always entertain me.

2011 will always stand out. I saw more performance energy from Govies, Fusion, and Carolina Gold than a lot of the Open Class field. It's no surprise that these corps scored higher than several Open Class groups.

Sure, some years are better than others, but to write off Class A as "bad drum corps" is stupid. On paper, the only difference between Class A and Open Class is member numbers. That's it. I would rather see a corps that knows its limits put out a stellar show than a large corps full of poorly trained newbs put out crap (which is a bigger problem).

This.

For instance, if you missed Sun Devils last year because they were 'just a Class A corps', then you missed out on one heck of a good hornline.

Not a 'god bless their hearts, look at the Class A group pretty good' either. Something that you would actually pay money to sit in front of any day of the week. Don't pay attention to anybody but the top 5 if you'd like, but you're missing out on gems of the activity. Some of the smaller corps have amazing captions if you're looking hard enough.

• Like 3

agree, and I think 2013 had a better top 6/7 in A then even 11 did.

on finals night I was more excited to see 1-4 in A than 9-10 in Open

Cabs visual (not their colorguard but their drill) was just dirty. If they expect to be back in the Top 3 again they need to be cleaner. Looks like they had significnt visual staff turnover which can be good or bad. We'll see in Wildwood (hopefully I can make it down)

Cabs drill over the past several years has always seemed to overstretch a bit. But now, with Reading throwing down last year....AND pulling it off...a corps has no choice but to put out some demand if they hope to compete for championships.

Edited by VOReason

Cabs drill over the past several years has always seemed to overstretch a bit. But now, with Reading throwing down last year....AND pulling it off...a corps has no choice but to put out some demand if they hope to compete for championships.

Demand only works if your corps has the stamina to pull it off.

Ive seen way too many corps try to pull off demand in DCA when clearly they need to be writing for the personnel they have on the field. Its either that or make the cuts necessary so that you can pull off the demand.

• Like 1

Demand only works if your corps has the stamina to pull it off.

Ive seen way too many corps try to pull off demand in DCA when clearly they need to be writing for the personnel they have on the field. Its either that or make the cuts necessary so that you can pull off the demand.

yup!