DCI BOD Drama....more to come?

Just a question/observation

Here we (or at least some) are getting our collective knickers in a twist over a facebook posting by Hoppy. I believe this is not the first time he has done this. Is this thread a discussion that was looking for something to respond to? Or has something new happened & I am too dense to notice?

more new has happened. read all the way through ( ignore the parts about GE)

Some have said that adding WW will cost more. Has anyone done the actual math on that? I bet Hopkins has, and it starts like this:

-) If you're going to add enough of them for an entire bus, then that's at least 50 WWs

-) 50 x $3000 tour fees = $150,000

-) Camp/Audition fees for literally HUNDREDS of new players: $150 x 600 = $90,000

So we're at $240,000 already.

Wouldn't that go a long way to cover the bus/driver/food/instrument cost? For a typical single-function $1,000,000 corps that's a 24% increase in revenues, for a 33% increase in the bodies (going from 150 to 200). With the economies of scale, I'm sure it's more of a wash than a burden.

I think you are forgetting about most of the cost associated with that revenue. More members means more equipment, which means another vehicle on the road to haul the additional equipment. What about the kitchen trailer? Most would be unable to feed the additional 60-65 mouths that come with an additional 50 members. There is not enough space for the number of people necessary to prepare that many meals each day, nor is there sufficient room to storethe extra food. You may need another vehicle to carry the extra food and prep facilities. That translates into more vehicle costs, insurance, fuel, drivers, maintenance costs, etc.

Simply adding members does not solve financial issues. While there are a few fixed cost elements where additional members make sense (i.e., fill every seat on every bus you drive with a paying member), most costs are variable (i.e., more kids = more food, more uniforms, more equipment, etc.).

Members pay less than half of the cost of their participation. So using your numbers, the additional $150,000 of revenue from member tuition means an additional $300,000+ of expense. Where does the funding for the extra $150,000+ come from?

• Like 1

I think you are forgetting about most of the cost associated with that revenue. More members means more equipment, which means another vehicle on the road to haul the additional equipment. What about the kitchen trailer? Most would be unable to feed the additional 60-65 mouths that come with an additional 50 members. There is not enough space for the number of people necessary to prepare that many meals each day, nor is there sufficient room to storethe extra food. You may need another vehicle to carry the extra food and prep facilities. That translates into more vehicle costs, insurance, fuel, drivers, maintenance costs, etc.

Simply adding members does not solve financial issues. While there are a few fixed cost elements where additional members make sense (i.e., fill every seat on every bus you drive with a paying member), most costs are variable (i.e., more kids = more food, more uniforms, more equipment, etc.).

Members pay less than half of the cost of their participation. So using your numbers, the additional $150,000 of revenue from member tuition means an additional $300,000+ of expense. Where does the funding for the extra $150,000+ come from?

In Hop's view it should come from DCI and the O-14 corps.

ok, so how do you get 23 directors to agree to it?

therein lies the problem!

I don't know how the DCI BOD bylaws work, but maybe the same people that bounced the G7 a few years ago could manage a coup of some sort.

In Hop's view it should come from DCI and the O-14 corps.

Which would seem at odds with his complaint that it's too hard to start a new corps.

Why's everybody upset? I like it when GH hits the egg nog a little too hard then takes to Facebook to post his musings. I don't know, however, why he continues to complain. He's a self-proclaimed man of action. Why isn't he leaving DCI and moving on to his vision of greatness? DCI is the problem in his opinion. So..... what are you waiting for Hop?

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 2

Out of sheer curiosity, could someone PM some info on how to find George's Resignation Letter? I am greatly curious about it, and I can't seem to find it

Why's everybody upset? I like it when GH hits the egg nog a little too hard then takes to Facebook to post his musings. I don't know, however, why he continues to complain. He's a self-proclaimed man of action. Why isn't he leaving DCI and moving on to his vision of greatness? DCI is the problem in his opinion. So..... what are you waiting for Hop?

sand+box+7+copy.jpg

It's lonely to have one's own sandbox when there is no one around to see your brilliance.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1