Corps Coming Out West

I was debating on making my first trip to DCI West at Stanford in 2014 but was wondering if any corps were planning a west coast trip this year. I've seen Cadets, Crown, Phantom, Crusaders and Blue Knights. On top of the traditional corps you'll see like BD, SCV, Pacific Crest, Mandarins, etc. I'd really like to see Madison, Oregon Crusaders, Blue Coats, Blue Stars, Spirit.

According to DCI's 2014 schedule, the lineup for Stanford will be:

Blue Devils C

Blue Devils B

Vanguard Cadets

Mandarins

Pacific Crest

Crossmen

Blue Knights

Santa Clara Vanguard

Blue Devils

It's not cost effective for most of the east/midwest corps. But it seems to give some kind of magical competitive boost. The last three corps to win World Championships other than BD all did a west coast tour the year they won.

I've always had a theory about the "West Coast" inflation ... long before NO corps ever went West ...... yes there were the EXTREMELY rare few back in the 80's who did so. I always thought that the DCW judges had a lighter standard compared to the DCI judges ... back when there was a DCW. I also thought ... if Garfield/CBC or PR or Star et. al. went West and gave those judges the opportunity and exposure for 2 weeks ... it would be very clear where that corps really stood when they came home for DCM or DCE championships. That would also give everyone else a true feel for where they stood.

I can't say I'm totally surprised that the corps who recently went West beat BD for a championship. I'm not saying there is ALWAYS someone better than BD. I AM saying that given the opportunity to sample the products back to back on several occasions in the early season ... and if the corps that is not BD proved themselves to be a slight notch ahead .. that precedent would carry thru the rest of the season. Afterall, there are very little surprises these days between early July and Finals. Kind of sad actually. Think about it ... I'll use 90 as an example. as DCI South SCV beat us .. The Cadets. 2 weeks later at DCI Finals ... SCV was 6th and we won. When was the last time a corps made a move like that?

All of these G7 Super Weekend shows kills the climax that Finals week should be. They perform in order and often end up in that very same order. Those corps who move west and challenge BD head to head have a distinct advantage by the time the TOC/G7 shows start to take place. They had the chance to prove themselves to the judges on the same night with the same panel. I'd rather see 1 or 2 go West .. or incentivize BD, SCV and BK to take turns coming East early. But in the end .. the G7 shows ruin the theory. It's all plotted out weeks before Indy.

Yeah I just talked in a circle .... it just shows how the model is broken. Regions made sense. When they folded is was because of the top corps being greedy. Most are the same corps in the G7. Wow I'm ranting ........... ugh. FWIW .... I love 1 or 2 corps going West. When I actually follow DCI these days ... at least THAT makes things interesting in the early season. The rest is a snoozefest.

I can't say I'm totally surprised that the corps who recently went West beat BD for a championship. I'm not saying there is ALWAYS someone better than BD. I AM saying that given the opportunity to sample the products back to back on several occasions in the early season ... and if the corps that is not BD proved themselves to be a slight notch ahead .. that precedent would carry thru the rest of the season. Afterall, there are very little surprises these days between early July and Finals. Kind of sad actually. Think about it ... I'll use 90 as an example. as DCI South SCV beat us .. The Cadets. 2 weeks later at DCI Finals ... SCV was 6th and we won. When was the last time a corps made a move like that?

Well if you look at the three recent examples:

In 2008 Phantom Regiment did not pass Blue Devils until finals. They had not beaten BD a single time previously during the season.

In 2011 The Cadets were back and forth all season with BD. The Cadets passed BD for good six days before finals.

Then this past summer Carolina Crown and BD were back and forth all season and Crown did not pass BD for good until semi-finals.

It seems that the years BD wins they tend to take control by early to mid July and never relinquish the lead, sometimes going unbeaten for the whole season. But in years that another corps is able to hang with them past the Texas swing and Atlanta they can be beaten.

Edited by Beckham