Should DCI add a Front Ensemble judge?

The result I hope for is that the field judge can let the battery be more often and spend more time in front of the pit with the knowledge that battery will still be judged from up top. What I think it might end up meaning is that the field judge will still spend more time with battery since he knows the pit will be judged while he is not away. It changes the process for the better but unfortunately it won't change the way of thinking.

But then it is curious the way you described it that the field judge may affect what the top judge focuses on...

well...there's certain things a field judge will be able to see when he goes up front that a judge upstairs in the 600 level will never see unless he has a camera feeding him footage from the field.

it is, IMO, possible to judge on the field and not have to spend every second out there with the battery and still catch what they are doing. But, I also agree that having a judge upstairs can help cover ensemble aspects that get largely ignored when a brass person is on music ensemble.

Would you go as far as to say that a "percussion minded" judge makes for a better music ensemble judge than a "brass minded" judge? ;)

no.

I'd say someone with lots of knowledge in both aspects makes the better judge. Now...IMO, I do think percussion guys go out of their way to make sure all aspects are covered so as not to get blasted by brass guys, but I think years and years of being ignored by brass guys has percussion stafs pretty much to the point where they don';t fight it anymore if a brass guy blows them off.