Should DCI add a Front Ensemble judge?

I think that, in what is inherently a marching ensemble, the pit should always be given less weight than the battery. Separate judge? Sure, but not one whose score counts as much.

I disagree strongly. if this is the case then all of the halts people do for brass should not be getting the scores they do

I think that, in what is inherently a marching ensemble, the pit should always be given less weight than the battery. Separate judge? Sure, but not one whose score counts as much.

I disagree strongly. If this is the case, then all of the halts people do for brass should not be getting the scores they do.

Exactly. Why should corps march at all if they can get the same credit for standing still? Just put everyone in the pit and be done with it. The reason that doesn't happen is because it's understood that marching is central to the artistry of drum corps. Ergo, the pit should not count for as much as the battery. The pit is the seasoning, the spice, the garnish that enhances but should not dominate the dish that is drum corps.

A possible compromise with my own position, inspired by memories of Garrison Keillor's Young Lutheran's Guide to the Orchestra: in a symphony orchestra, the harpist usually plays much less than the first violinist, but you expect the same level of excellence from the harpist when he does play. So give the new pit judge as many points to award as the brass judge or the battery judge, but acknowledge that the pit can play much less, as befits its auxiliary nature, and yet receive the same score as the marching members who are expected to carry more weight.

A possible compromise with my own position, inspired by memories of Garrison Keillor's Young Lutheran's Guide to the Orchestra: in a symphony orchestra, the harpist usually plays much less than the first violinist, but you expect the same level of excellence from the harpist when he does play. So give the new pit judge as many points to award as the brass judge or the battery judge, but acknowledge that the pit can play much less, as befits its auxiliary nature, and yet receive the same score as the marching members who are expected to carry more weight.

Pit can play much less? You did see Blue Devils didn't you? That is one smokin pit!

Pit can play much less?

They can and they should!

A possible compromise with my own position, inspired by memories of Garrison Keillor's Young Lutheran's Guide to the Orchestra: in a symphony orchestra, the harpist usually plays much less than the first violinist, but you expect the same level of excellence from the harpist when he does play. So give the new pit judge as many points to award as the brass judge or the battery judge, but acknowledge that the pit can play much less, as befits its auxie liary nature, and yet receive the same score as the marching members who are expected to carry more weight.

The pit can play or does play much less? I mean, the pit plays pretty much more often than even the brass line marches. I'm wondering why you feel the brass and battery are "expected to carry more weight" than the pit simply because their instrument cannot be carried.

Edited by charlie1223

The pit can play or does play much less? I mean, the pit plays pretty much more often than even the brass line marches. I'm wondering why you feel the brass and battery are "expected to carry more weight" than the pit simply because their instrument cannot be carried.

That's exactly why, as noted in my earlier post: the essential nature of drum corps is that it is a (brass and percussion) musical ensemble that marches. The pit has been allowed as an exception, to add a little extra color. That exception should not dominate what is essential. The pit should accompany the marching players rather than the reverse.

That's exactly why, as noted in my earlier post: the essential nature of drum corps is that it is a (brass and percussion) musical ensemble that marches. The pit has been allowed as an exception, to add a little extra color. That exception should not dominate what is essential. The pit should accompany the marching players rather than the reverse.

Well, I disagree. Modern drum corps has 3 musical elements brass, battery and pit and they should all accompany each other equally. The essential nature of drum corps has changed. Obviously this thread arose because the vast majority of adjudicators and fans (whether implicitly or not) see things your way but if anything its about time the pit receive more credit and respect for what they are doing.

Edited by charlie1223

Not a separate judge, but their evaluation should be handled by a judge who is focused purely on Music (rather than Brass performance or Percussion performance).

Comes down to it, you don't see or hear much technique evaluation when the judges ARE in front of the pit, it's almost all about their books. Move that critique to the sheet of someone focused on the overall musical book, (whether it's the Musical Analysis judge or a Music GE judge), and leave the percussion field judge to focus on the battery.

Edited by Slingerland

Pits are part of the corps?????? Since when?????? :):):):):)