Muchachos & Cabs

From corpsreps.com: "The reason for forming the corps was to extend the great world of drum corps to younger players in Hawthorne, New Jersey, and surrounding communities, but a secondary benefit was to create a ready pool of talent that would eventually graduate into the senior Caballeros corps to replace ageing members."

So yeah, it was a feeder corps. The Muchachos were started at a time when junior corps were seen as a the stepping stone to all-age corps, instead of what it is today. Of course the Muchachos turned out to be very competitive in DCI for the short time they were around, and if they existed today their relationship with the Caballeros would probably be similar to the Cadets' intended relationship with Cadets2 (just a guess).

• Like 1

History of Drum Corps Vol II has a history of both corps. Was hoping someone else more in the know would chime in, here's what I remember but haven't read HODC VII lately. Both corps connected wirh AL Post #199 of Hawthorne and Muchachos started by same people who ran Cabs. IIRC Jim Costello was part of the Muchacho start up group. Don't rememebr seeing Muchachos were supposed to a feeder corps, just something to give the younger folks a chance to do corps.

LOL 1975 (yeah that year).. talked to some Muchacho members the day after DCI at an exhibiton at Hershey. Some were aging out and one was asked if they would join Cabs. Response was "No I want to join Sky..... I'm sick of this Spanish crap..."

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

Not sure about Costello's involvement ... as I remember it, the Muchachos were the brainstorm of Ralph Silverbrand, DM of the Cabs ...

:-)

• Like 3

Not sure about Costello's involvement ... as I remember it, the Muchachos were the brainstorm of Ralph Silverbrand, DM of the Cabs ...

:-)

You're proabably right Andy, I remember it was a big name with the Cabs and both men would fit the description.

• Like 1

OK... not often I laugh out loud at "likes" but thanks Ray....

So, don't want to come across as ignorant or anything but, most of us not in the know, felt the Muchachos were a "feeder" corps for the Cabs. So, what was the real story?

I'm sure there were a lot of Muchacho members who ended up in the Cabs, but there were people from all over the area who marched with the Cabs, so I don't think the overall percentage is as high as some might think.

For instance, a good portion of Garfield's drumline quit after the 71 season when Garfield fired our great instructor George Tuthill. They moved en masse to the Cabs, where George was also the main drum instructor. I mean, who would want to play in a Garfield line taught by this new guy....Fred Sanford. :doh:

I moved over to horn after the 71 season, as I just was not interested in joining the Cabs, but I wanted to support George. Being taught horn by Don Angelica was also a great experience, but I do regret missing out on being in a Fred Sanford line.

• 5 years later...

Muchachos were never a feeder corp for Cabs

Thats like going from being the Beatles to the Osmonds

Chachos were gods compared to Cabs

• 4 months later...