Bluecoats 2014

I don't post much on here, but love the site.

That being said, been an avid drum corps fan since 1996. Just wanted to log on here and say, that in all my time watching drum corps I've never particularly cared for many of Bloo's shows. Parts of their shows yes, but never saw one that I thought was a complete package to get excited about...................that has now changed. I absolutely LOVE this show. Really hoping for a strong finish from this one, if nothing else I think it's going to be a tremendous crowd favorite this year.

• Like 5

I just finally got to see it.

Wow! I really love this show. really fresh and new. I also love that we have a good mix of new and old stuff so that everyone can like something.

• Like 1

I know this won't be popular, but after I heard that Bluecoats were using that ballad from Vienna Teng, I started to investigate more.

I downloaded the album it was from - "Aims." It is amazing. I read more about her. I think she takes her professional life much less seriously than her studies or her career objectives.

Down to earth does not explain her attitude enough. She just doesn't seem to buy into the popularity.

Hence the beauty of her acapella "Hymn of Axciom."

I knew Bluecoats would do wonderful things with the arrangement. She even has them mentioned in the front page of her website.

The one thing I would change is to ditch the pit parts in the piece of music. They come across as clouds in front of some wonderful music.

It started as acapella. With those incredible brass voicings mimicking the original, there is no need for keyboards. it would be great if they could keep it that way.

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 2

I don't know if you know this, but most music starts out without front ensemble keyboard parts.

• Like 1

I don't know if you know this, but most music starts out without front ensemble keyboard parts.

I think both the beauty and the bane of drum corps, is that more often than not the arrangements can drastically change the interpretation and sonority, or color/textures of original music. I've found it is best to let go of any/all preconceived ideas of what I personally think a piece should be arranged, because what is in my head is likely not in the head's of the DCI designers. Sometimes choices are a bit confounding (Phantom 89 swing section), and sometimes they are so glorious in their originality that I marvel at others' ideas.

In the case with Bluecoats this year, they have to take an a cappella piece and flesh it out with keyboard parts, and work in themes inherent throughout their 12ish minute show. While that is not found in the stripped-down version of the original piece, I think that it adds a lot, and I really love Tom Rarrick's writing/arranging.

I know it's hard sometimes let go of an original piece, feel like an arranger is betraying the sentiments and tone of an original composition, but if it works in context of the medium/show then that's all that matters. In this case, I think Bluecoats do a great job

• Like 1

I know this won't be popular, but after I heard that Bluecoats were using that ballad from Vienna Teng, I started to investigate more.

I downloaded the album it was from - "Aims." It is amazing. I read more about her. I think she takes her professional life much less seriously than her studies or her career objectives.

Down to earth does not explain her attitude enough. She just doesn't seem to buy into the popularity.

Hence the beauty of her acapella "Hymn of Axciom."

I knew Bluecoats would do wonderful things with the arrangement. She even has them mentioned in the front page of her website.

The one thing I would change is to ditch the pit parts in the piece of music. They come across as clouds in front of some wonderful music.

It started as acapella. With those incredible brass voicings mimicking the original, there is no need for keyboards. it would be great if they could keep it that way.

Actually the piece proper is started by brass alone. Front does not play for the first 8 measures.

I think both the beauty and the bane of drum corps, is that more often than not the arrangements can drastically change the interpretation and sonority, or color/textures of original music. I've found it is best to let go of any/all preconceived ideas of what I personally think a piece should be arranged, because what is in my head is likely not in the head's of the DCI designers. Sometimes choices are a bit confounding (Phantom 89 swing section), and sometimes they are so glorious in their originality that I marvel at others' ideas.

In the case with Bluecoats this year, they have to take an a cappella piece and flesh it out with keyboard parts, and work in themes inherent throughout their 12ish minute show. While that is not found in the stripped-down version of the original piece, I think that it adds a lot, and I really love Tom Rarrick's writing/arranging.

I know it's hard sometimes let go of an original piece, feel like an arranger is betraying the sentiments and tone of an original composition, but if it works in context of the medium/show then that's all that matters. In this case, I think Bluecoats do a great job

Doug Thrower writes and arranges brass for Bluecoats; Tom Rarick writes and arranges percussion. Amazing work from both of them.

• Like 2

Just watched the show on the FN. FANTASTIC show and concept.

Even if this show doesn't win or medal (there's a lot of great competition out there), this could very well be their statement year that does propel them to the next level in the years to come (a la Carolina Crown in '08). The music and show concept is fresh and interesting, and I think recruitment of top tier talent should come easier.

Doug Thrower writes and arranges brass for Bluecoats; Tom Rarick writes and arranges percussion. Amazing work from both of them.

Amazing doesn't do it justice. Thrower I knew personally, marched under him in 93 and 94, and I have been very critical of him in the past years. This is beautiful. He finally gets it, I guess -- he probably thinks some of the things you have to do is selling out, based on his past unwillingness to give the show what it needs sometimes. ;) Source material can't hurt as well, but I'm assuming that is under his control. Rarick and his split 16ths is just redonkulous. I'd expect nothing less. #thrower #rarick

Edited by superOOk