Bluecoats 2014

Thank you. Saturday is shaping up to be a monster show. Looks like a 4-horse race at this point with Cadets, Crown, Bloo, and BD. I'm tilting in favor of Bloo. Their show provides the most flexibility to adapt to what's needed to win. They are not saddled by show theme to get in the way. Percussion could be a Sanford this year. Brass is typical Bluecoat quality. Design team has really stepped up their game. The guard is vastly improved. And, as always, providing a solid foundation in music is the dynamic duo of Thrower and Rarick - among the very best the activity has ever seen.

And, how about a winning show that's a total crowd pleaser!

Bloo14!

Can't say I disagree with anything here. But I am getting the sense that people are writing off Crown. Crown is #### good this year and are poised to make their show real special by August. Does that mean they will come out on top? Not sure. But for a defending champion with an outstanding horn line, they sure aren't being fawned over like Bloo. That said, I absolutely love the Coats' show, and I hope it continues to evolve.

I was just doing my daily "drum corps check" on YouTube and I won't give a link to the exact video, but it looks like they're adding some new body moves to a section of the ballad that seemingly already had just about all the GE you could squeeze into it. If they're going to run out of steam, will it really be that soon?

Ok, I guess I have to spell it out...

http://youtu.be/AufYVSxF37o?t=2m7s

That or a Dissolving company front :cool:

Brass guy already putting the musicians over the book. Wheels are gonna fall off this train soon. They'll start floundering in the GE captions, as well, when they realize there is no depth to the design.

Yes. There is a problem with this show. Depth of design. What is the myth that this theme reminds us of? What is the meaning behind "tilt"? What does the "tilt" represent in real world terms? Is a tilt a point of view? Is a tilt an obstacle? What is the underlying universal and unique message? What's the story, even if it's abstract concept like "overcoming obstacles" or "viewing life from another angle" or "an anti-establishment view makes you stronger." Cadets have "the words of our great Presidents influence our own artistic passion." And BD has "Fellini, like us, braved uncharted waters of abstract art."

Here are some ideas for the Bluecoat's design team so they can add a final set piece which will add meaning to their show and give "tilt" the depth of meaning their looking for. It's a subtle story element that helps define the use of the triangular tilt props.

The final jumping off the tilt happens too far left field. First, it needs to be brought center stage. Second, right now the jump has no "story" behind it. Is it hard to do? Does the jumper want to jump? Is he afraid to jump? Why is he jumping? Right now, we can't tell and we don't care. We have nothing vested in it. It's low stakes.

So let's change the ending slightly. Create a small story around the final move.

1) One player is left behind on a ramp, unable to cross and join the corps, because the down ramp is separated from the up ramp. So, the last cymbal player is stranded, forcing him to jump. First try, runs up, too scared. Second try, he sucessfully jumps, he is able to join the corps who can complete the final triumphant chords. It sort of clarifies and makes sense of the tilt object as an obstacle to overcome.

2) Another idea. As the corps travels from stage left to stage right, they must stop because there's only an up facing triangle. They'd have to jump into the abyss. It's not until the other opposite facing triangles are put in place that the corps can complete its charge toward the audience. So, it's only with two opposite facing tilts that an objective can be completed.

3) Another similar idea. The corps is split into two halves, unable to join each other because of separate ramps. As soon as the opposite facing ramps are joined, the corps becomes one and is able to freely flow across, like a river, spilling toward the audience in a triumphant final move.

The ramps must be used in the final moments in some way to achieve a marching objective, otherwise the ramps appear frivolous and without meaning.

Edited by Brutus
  • Like 1

Yes. There is a problem with this show. Depth of design. What is the myth that this theme reminds us? What is the meaning behind "tilt"? What does the "tilt" represent in real world terms? Is a tilt a point of view? Is a tilt an obstacle? What is the underlying universal and unique message? What's the story, even if it's abstract concept like "overcoming obstacles" or "viewing life from another angle" or "an anti-establishment view makes you stronger." Cadets have "the words of our great Presidents influence our own artistic passion." And BD has "Fellini, like us, braved uncharted waters of abstract art."

Here are some ideas for the Bluecoat's design team so they can add a final set piece which will add meaning to their show and give "tilt" the depth of meaning their looking for. It's a subtle story element that helps define the use of the triangular tilt props.

The final jumping off the tilt happens too far left field. First, it needs to be brought center stage. Second, right now the jump has no "story" behind it. Is it hard to do? Does the jumper want to jump? Is he afraid to jump? Why is he jumping? Right now, we can't tell and we don't care. We have nothing vested in it. It's low stakes.

So let's change the ending slightly. Create a small story around the final move.

1) One player is left behind on a ramp, unable to cross and join the corps, because the down ramp is separated from the up ramp. So, the last cymbal player is stranded, forcing him to jump. First try, runs up, too scared. Second try, he sucessfully jumps, he is able to join the corps who can complete the final triumphant chords. It sort of clarifies and makes sense of the tilt object as an obstacle to overcome.

2) Another idea. As the corps travels from stage left to stage right, they must stop because there's only an up facing triangle. They'd have to jump into the abyss. It's not until the other opposite facing triangles are put in place that the corps can complete its charge toward the audience. So, it's only with two opposite facing tilts that an objective can be completed.

3) Another similar idea. The corps is split into two halves, unable to join each other because of separate ramps. As soon as the opposite facing ramps are joined, the corps becomes one and is able to freely flow across, like a river, spilling toward the audience in a triumphant final move.

The ramps must be used in the final moments in some way to achieve a marching objective, otherwise the ramps appear frivolous and without meaning.

This is much better. Your suggestions for the Cadets and BD were over the top but these, if Bloo adopts them, would probably greatly aid them in GE. I like the first one in particular.

... What does the "tilt" represent in real world terms? Is a tilt a point of view? Is a tilt an obstacle? What is the underlying universal and unique message? What's the story, even if it's abstract concept like "overcoming obstacles" or "viewing life from another angle" or "an anti-establishment view makes you stronger." ...

''' right now the jump has no "story" behind it. Is it hard to do? Does the jumper want to jump? Is he afraid to jump? Why is he jumping? Right now, we can't tell and we don't care. '''

Not that you don't have some good ideas. But reading these phrases above only reaffirm why I love this show in it's current form. But that's just me.

• Like 2

Not that you don't have some good ideas. But reading these phrases above only reaffirm why I love this show in it's current form. But that's just me.

Agree. I think this is exactly the "point" of Tilt. And it's certainly part of the show's appeal. There's nothing to "get" at all -- it's just cool drum corps performed well.

• Like 7

Agree. I think this is exactly the "point" of Tilt. And it's certainly part of the show's appeal. There's nothing to "get" at all -- it's just cool drum corps performed well.

Do you get it? That's not enough to win. There must be meaning behind the show in order for Bluecoats compete with those who do. Not a story with characters, necessarily. Not words. Not voices. But meaning. And there's none here. The "game" can be developed simply through repetition. The "game" can be developed through a gradual increase in tempo, or in the use of repeating formations. But there must be a pattern, and it must change in some way to stir the emotions. Story here can be as simple as repeating the action that one guy doesn't want to jump. Until the end. That's it. That's all the story we need. No words. No pre-recorded anything. Just a pattern that escalates for dramatic effect. It's what audiences crave. It doesn't even have to last for the entire show. It can be set up and completed in 10 seconds. That's all the show needs an it could satisfy the "story" arc and compete on the level with the meaning of Fellliniesque and the Lincoln Portrait. Simple.

How could a judge award simply "Music, movement and shape" over "Music movement, shape, pattern and story?" They just can't.

Edited by Brutus

Do you get it? That's not enough to win. There must be meaning behind the show in order for Bluecoats compete with those who do. Not a story with characters, necessarily. Not words. Not voices. But meaning. And there's none here. The "game" can be developed simply through repetition. The "game" can be developed through a gradual increase in tempo, or in the use of repeating formations. But there must be a pattern, and it must change in some way to stir the emotions. Story here can be as simple as repeating the action that one guy doesn't want to jump. Until the end. That's it. That's all the story we need. No words. No pre-recorded anything. Just a pattern that escalates for dramatic effect. It's what audiences crave. It doesn't even have to last for the entire show. It can be set up and completed in 10 seconds. That's all the show needs an it could satisfy the "story" arc and compete on the level with the meaning of Fellliniesque and the Lincoln Portrait. Simple.

How could a judge award simply "Music, movement and shape" over "Music movement, shape, pattern and story?" They just can't.

I just don't agree with this. I think too many drum corps are trapping themselves in with these "stories" that need to be told - and sometimes end up being just sooo cheesy - Cadets Toy Souldier in 2010 - or unnecessary - Phantom 2009's "story" ruined the show (for me at least)

Bluecoats have put the emphasis back on music / drill /movement and GE with a non literal story that is held together by the "Tilt" concept - and that - to me - is pushing drum corps to where it needs to go. I'm also giving props to Boston on this for their totally non literal interpretation of Animal Farm.

Let's stop pushing the "corps needs a story line and here's how to do it" line and start appreciating this show for what it is - really, really, really cool and fun and exciting!

Later,

Mike

• Like 8