Bluecoats 2014

The Bluecoats' show is:

-incredibly clean.

-a series of set pieces relating to the general theme of the "tilt".

-masterfully executed.

-the first to marry full volume brass synth recordings with live brass.

-slick in its handling of the tilt stage props.

The Bluecoats show is also:

-Limited in its range of emotion and tone

-Limited in its color guard equipment, color changes and range of style.

-Without thematic argument.

-Without pattern.

-Without story elements, although not required.

-Without dramatic progression.

-Without depth of meaning.

-Without cultural reference.

-Without ties or reference to nationality, political scenarios, business, literary or historical references, science, the humanities other than music itself, psychology, sociology, architecture, or media.

-Without variance in musical genres within the show

The Bluecoats show is currently in the Top 3
  • Like 9

Bluecoats 2015 program: Sink

Whoops

• Like 3

Some useless recap data...

Had there been only 1 percussion judge tonight (we'll take Martin Griffin) the Coats score would have been 90.20, Cadets would have been 91.0 and BD would have been 91.85...putting Coats only 1.65 back from the undefeated Devils.

To be fair had the judge that placed the drums in 5th been the only judge the scores would have been Coats 89.5, Cadets 90.85, and BD 91.65

The top 3 positions would not have changed either way, BUT Coats would have broken 90! Oh well....next time out.

To take the recap numbers data another step...this time only 2 GE judges (as usual) instead of 4...taking the GE 1 judge and GE 2 judge that were most favorable to the Coats, along with Martin Griffin's numbers in percussion...final scores would have been:

BD 91.85

Cadets 91.25

Bluecoats 90.60

Yes, I know that's taking the numbers that most favor the Coats, BUT depending on the panel the Coats and Cadets just might be even a little closer to the top than it appears. Of course other corps can say "if and but for" too...but they can run their own numbers :-)

Keep cleaning Coats!!!

Their last video and the hashtags #relentless and #ScratchAndClaw are pretty awesome, they're all sorts of fired up!

Gave me chills.

To take the recap numbers data another step...this time only 2 GE judges (as usual) instead of 4...taking the GE 1 judge and GE 2 judge that were most favorable to the Coats, along with Martin Griffin's numbers in percussion...final scores would have been:

BD 91.85

Cadets 91.25

Bluecoats 90.60

Yes, I know that's taking the numbers that most favor the Coats, BUT depending on the panel the Coats and Cadets just might be even a little closer to the top than it appears. Of course other corps can say "if and but for" too...but they can run their own numbers :-)

Keep cleaning Coats!!!

Judges will be judges.

This show musically sparkles in a dome. I really think Coats have a chance to clip BD this year.

• Like 2

The Bluecoats' show is:

-incredibly clean.

-a series of set pieces relating to the general theme of the "tilt".

-masterfully executed.

-the first to marry full volume brass synth recordings with live brass.

-slick in its handling of the tilt stage props.

The Bluecoats show is also:

-Limited in its range of emotion and tone How So?

-Limited in its color guard equipment, color changes and range of style. Really, what do you know about color guard equipment?

-Without thematic argument. Does it require an argument?

-Without pattern. What are you talking about?

-Without story elements, although not required. Well, guess you called yourself out on that one!

-Without dramatic progression. Um, whatever!

-Without depth of meaning. Really, how deep does it need to be? It's art and provokes thought and discussion.

-Without cultural reference. ???

-Without ties or reference to nationality, political scenarios, business, literary or historical references, science, the humanities other than music itself, psychology, sociology, architecture, or media. Wow, I have been watching drum corp wrong all these years I guess.

-Without variance in musical genres within the show. Just wow, really reaching in this one.

I'm sorry, I just do not understand your thought process when you are saying it is limited/without. Perhaps the only thing limited and without is your perception? Just sayin! ;)

Edited by Fan of D.C.
  • Like 1