Bluecoats 2014

Quit while you have a chance.

Not a quitter :)

I am not sure where I was disrespectful to the Bluecoats. I love the Bluecoats, I was just a little disappointed in their show last year. I thought they had amazing shows for several years prior to that. And musically what I have heard from their show this year, I am not impressed. That could change the first time I hear them performing the music. I do not like the piece House Of The Rising Sun, and was disappointed when BD announced they were doing that piece. Then when I heard them perform it, I was blown away. I am hoping the same thing from Bluecoats this year as well.

I could also lie and say I really think they will be in the hunt for a medal, but that is not my opinion. I'm sorry. I think they are looking at 7th-9th place this season. Again, I hope they challenge for a medal, but I do not foresee them passing any of the corps that beat them last year, and I see Cavies and Phantom pushing up past them this year. And I think Boston and Madison are going to be strong this year, and would love to see them pushing for 3rd-7th spots as well. The bottom line, is that with all these corps challenging each other, everyone wins.

Best of luck to Bluecoats in 2014.[/quote

It just seemed like you were dissing them in that first post to me but whatever this post made up for it. No harm done I just get really defensive about bloo :)

I could also lie and say I really think they will be in the hunt for a medal, but that is not my opinion. I'm sorry. I think they are looking at 7th-9th place this season.

Based on one announced song selection? Or ...?

• Like 1

I have to admit I must be about the only person not thrilled with this piece. It will be interesting to see what Bluecoats and OC do with it. I really hope I like it more on the field than the original version. It is a nice piece, just a little bland. I was kind of disappointed with Bluecoats show last year. I feel like this is even more of a step back for them. I could easily see them getting passed up by 4 corps they beat last year during finals week. I am pretty sure Cavaliers and Phantom will top them this year, but with what has been announced so far, I would almost bet Boston and Madison pass Bluecoats by the end of the season. I am so looking forward to this season starting.

This is a pretty bold prediction based on what? One song that you don't like?

Let's not forget that the Bluecoats are a top 6 drum corps for 8 out of the last 10 seasons - and top 5 for four of the last 10 years. They have improved in placement in each of the last 3 years. This is a corps that consistently has one of the top brass and percussion lines in the business.

I, for one, am not in to predicting drum corps placement without even hearing a single note played competitively. I'd rather wait until June, and even then, if we're lucky, we'll be in suspense until the 2nd Saturday of August before it's all figured out.

• Like 1

This is a pretty bold prediction based on what? One song that you don't like?

Let's not forget that the Bluecoats are a top 6 drum corps for 8 out of the last 10 seasons - and top 5 for four of the last 10 years. They have improved in placement in each of the last 3 years. This is a corps that consistently has one of the top brass and percussion lines in the business.

I, for one, am not in to predicting drum corps placement without even hearing a single note played competitively. I'd rather wait until June, and even then, if we're lucky, we'll be in suspense until the 2nd Saturday of August before it's all figured out.

Couldn't have been put any better!

• Like 1

Based on my thought that the top 9 corps are going to be amazing this coming season. I think Cavies are really going to improve this year, and I think that Madison and Boston have some real potential. I could see Bluecoats placing anywhere from 4th-9th place, but my personal opinion going into the season is they will probably place between 7th and 9th during finals week. Who knows maybe they'll prove me wrong, and place top 3.

I really don't care who wins going into each season. I just want to see 30 plus shows during the season that I really love. And almost every year i have seen 30 corps shows that I do love. Personally I don't care for the song selection I have heard. But as I have mentioned, my opinion has changed before. So maybe I will absolutely love Bluecoats version of it, or Oregon Crusaders version of it, or both of their versions of it.

I just hope I love Bluecoats show this season as much as I have loved a lot of their previous shows. I am also hoping it is the most competitive season ever trying to make top 3.

I can see where you are going with this. One might also argue Phantom and Cavaliers are 2 of the best corps ever. Who would have thought that Phantom would end up 9th in 09 after winning the championship in 08? Who would have thought Cavaliers, who were top 3 through almost the entire decade of the 2000s, would have been fighting for 7th-9th place the last 2 seasons?

Good luck to all the corps in 2014.

MisterA was expressing an opinion without being nasty. Free forum, personal opinions, disagreement et al.

"Don't ever disrespect the bluecoats" - gee, a bit harsher than MisterA's opinion.

I would love to see the Bluecoats take it all. That being said, let others voice their opinion and if it defers from yours, it's just an opinion.

come on this is DCP. Everyone loves free speech, unless of course you don't like their favorite corps

• Like 2

Based on my thought that the top 9 corps are going to be amazing this coming season. I think Cavies are really going to improve this year, and I think that Madison and Boston have some real potential. I could see Bluecoats placing anywhere from 4th-9th place, but my personal opinion going into the season is they will probably place between 7th and 9th during finals week. Who knows maybe they'll prove me wrong, and place top 3.

I really don't care who wins going into each season. I just want to see 30 plus shows during the season that I really love. And almost every year i have seen 30 corps shows that I do love. Personally I don't care for the song selection I have heard. But as I have mentioned, my opinion has changed before. So maybe I will absolutely love Bluecoats version of it, or Oregon Crusaders version of it, or both of their versions of it.

I just hope I love Bluecoats show this season as much as I have loved a lot of their previous shows. I am also hoping it is the most competitive season ever trying to make top 3.

So is it fair to say you are going with your gut? Like, a hunch. Am I reading that correctly?

I have many reasons for thinking they will be having similar, or better results. Most of this based on sort of consistency we expect out of Canton lately. A great return rate of vets. A returning Bluecoats Hall of Fame music writing team that is like a finely tuned watch. A reliably rich brass line with quality teaching based on a tasteful sound, again, mostly returning or bred from within. Percussion has reached a point where it practically "goes without saying." I don't see any reason that they would be faltering. The most discussed Achilles heel is the visual program, and that is the one big change with Mike Fanning coming on board. He captioned Cadets for 5 years. And, again, is a Bluecoat by origin. It will be a different visual program than the last couple of years, for sure. He will be right at home and will do great things.

Now, none of this takes place in a vacuum. Kudos to Cavaliers for their percussion program right now. Credit where it is due. And they are making what looks to be good changes in brass. But wouldn't expect a huge jump in year 1 of that change. And hopefully for them, something happens visually as well. Give it a couple of years. Same story for Phantom. I expect Brett turn the percussion program around ... but this is year 1.

• Like 1