Bluecoats 2014

I also think they should get rid of the mello lick during the last chord. That chord with the expanding field coverage is pure gold without any ornamentation.

I think the pause is a great idea...let's the crowd go nuts after the pitch bend and fffff chord...then go nuts again after the ending drum feature. There's no such thing as "too much" of your crowd going nuts :-)

(cue: dcp pandering comments)

I think the pause is a great idea...let's the crowd go nuts after the pitch bend and fffff chord...then go nuts again after the ending drum feature. There's no such thing as "too much" of your crowd going nuts :-)

The *concept* is fine, but the nature of the tag's composition makes it an awkward stop-start. It creates an odd sort of window where you have a standing O, but then a very short tag where the energy in the crowd has already been spent on that chord release. It's too soon to expect the groundswell to hit that level again. The tag right now acts more as a release valve. I think the stop can work, but the tag needs to be extended if so.

• Like 2

Thankfully, I believe most of DCI is beginning to understand, but it took a while. Anyone who PAYS for entertainment WANTS to 'go nuts.' Not many are satisfied being befuddled. Certainly not enough to 'make a buck.'

The *concept* is fine, but the nature of the tag's composition makes it an awkward stop-start. It creates an odd sort of window where you have a standing O, but then a very short tag where the energy in the crowd has already been spent on that chord release. It's too soon to expect the groundswell to hit that level again. The tag right now acts more as a release valve. I think the stop can work, but the tag needs to be extended if so.

That could be. It could also be something like Garfield 87, where they have the last big hit and then a quieter moment. That is a no question all-time great ending.

I had an audio recording of that LONG before I saw a full video of the section, and I was shocked to see the video and realize there was actually more to the show after the big hit. The crowd was so freaking loud I had never heard the musical phrase that ends the show after the hit (FWIW the Blu-ray version of that show on the Essentials Vol. 2 is the best audio quality I've ever heard of that show)

That could be. It could also be something like Garfield 87, where they have the last big hit and then a quieter moment. That is a no question all-time great ending.

I had an audio recording of that LONG before I saw a full video of the section, and I was shocked to see the video and realize there was actually more to the show after the big hit. The crowd was so freaking loud I had never heard the musical phrase that ends the show after the hit (FWIW the Blu-ray version of that show on the Essentials Vol. 2 is the best audio quality I've ever heard of that show)

Right, and the "quiet-after-the-last-hit" is a staple in show design now, for sure (I also happen to like it a lot!)

But right now, Coats aren't going for that. They've got a massive build to a hit, then a stop, then an ending section that is frantic and pulsing, as though they want that first reaction and then an equally strong reaction based on forward momentum. The last percussive hit coinciding with the final leap in the air of the guard member plus the corps falling over is a moment that says "IMPACT!". It's a period on the statement. But right now, with the pause, it's more of a fragment. A dependent clause that is not longer attached to the previous sentence.

• Like 1

the question is: Is it the Impact or is it the Tilt or does it require a Tilted Impact or a Impact of the Tilt.......

which one will get the fans up and tilted with applause going crazy :)

the question is: Is it the Impact or is it the Tilt or does it require a Tilted Impact or a Impact of the Tilt.......

which one will get the fans up and tilted with applause going crazy :)

....yes?