Bluecoats 2014

I saw the Bluecoats last night in La Crosse. Their show is on my list of favorite shows of all time. It's perfection in every aspect.

•The music is engaging and entertaining. The integration of the synth doesn't overwhelm the brass and percussion and only enhances it.

•The visual is striking. The drill, the smart use of props (no field clutter), are brilliant. The body work is done exceptionally well and fits perfectly with the drill and music; it isn't that silly hopping, skipping, and flailing about in the guise of "art."

And the brass and synth pitch bend at the end of the show? Amazing! I loved it! There were some old dinos, like me, in that crowd last night; and when that part of the show hit, they were on their feet cheering!

To the creative team of the 2014 Bluecoats, you have created a fan favorite winner. No matter where this show places it's a gold medal in perfection and entertainment. I have been tilted! :thumbup:

• Like 5

How DCI judges can place bluecoats in 4th right now is beyond me. I guess I will stop watching scores this year -- a practice in futility. Who cares anyways? Coats are the new Crown for the next few years I guess...

• Like 1

I've now read some people who have seen the show live in the past few days say that the synth patch is no longer as loud as the brass in that famous climax. Is that true? And if so, why the change?

I've now read some people who have seen the show live in the past few days say that the synth patch is no longer as loud as the brass in that famous climax. Is that true? And if so, why the change?

I saw the show live tonight in Dekalb. Near as I can tell, this is true. The patch is about half the volume of the horns. Kind of diminishes the effect.

I saw the show live tonight in Dekalb. Near as I can tell, this is true. The patch is about half the volume of the horns. Kind of diminishes the effect.

this HAS to be a mistake...

How DCI judges can place bluecoats in 4th right now is beyond me. I guess I will stop watching scores this year -- a practice in futility. Who cares anyways? Coats are the new Crown for the next few years I guess...

Easy. They don't place anyone in a spot. They judge their caption, and the total is what it is. It's a very competitive year this year, and all of the top corps brought their A-games to the field. If they're 4th at Finals, but the audience likes the show, then who cares? That fan appreciation will be worth more to them as an organization than having a trophy sitting in their office, since every person who likes them enough to buy a t-shirt, make a donation, or show up in November at auditions is what keeps these corps going, not placement.

As for the patch, I was in DeKalb, and agree that there was a noticeable drop-off in volume when they transitioned in and out of it. Diminishes the effect pretty badly.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

If they ARE cutting back on the synth effect at that moment, they are making a foolish decision. This has been the most talked about feature in that magnificent presentation. Not just talked about, but responded to with overwhelming fan approval. Electronics has been a controversial addition from the start. The original Bluecoats use here demonstrates it CAN work if correctly applied.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1

:( :( :(

normal
Edited by Hrothgar15

Since it was posted in the DCA reviews forum, a lot of people here may have missed BigW's great review of the combined DCA-DCI show at Chester. Definitely worth a look. Here's a snip from his comments on the Bluecoats:

"I seriously lost my mind at that point in the show and ended up on their Facebook crowd-cam, for God's sake. I haven't gone that crazy since 2012 Kidsgrove."

A show with only a strong theme simply cannot beat a show with all the elements: a strong theme, strong pattern, strong story and humanity.

5th tier - Show with no theme (Madison)

4th tier - Show with a theme (Bluecoats, Blue Knights)

3rd tier - Show with a theme and a pattern (Crown).

2nd tier - Show with a theme, pattern and story (Cavies, SCV, Phantom)

1st tier - Show with a theme, pattern, story and humanity. (Cadets, BD)

The way for Bluecoats to win it this year is to add a simple 10-second story element:

1) One member is afraid to jump off the ramp, but eventually finds the courage, jumps and thrives (this adds pattern, character, story and humanity.)

2) Or two sides of the corps are separated by their ramps, until the ramps come together allowing free flow between sides. (this adds pattern, story and humanity)

3) Or the ramps are facing left and right, blocking a final traditional company front from moving forward. Then they spin the ramps toward the audience, allowing some horns to march up and over the ramps, successfullly allowing the company front to move forward.

The ramps must be used in the final moments in some way to achieve a marching objective, or to complete a pattern, otherwise the ramps appear to be thematic elements with no tie to a dramatic action.