What really makes Drum Corps so different

personally I dont think you will ever see the real long term die hard any more...we were brought up in the activity and had little else..kids today are very different with alot more choices as well as pressures

You could be accurate in this future assessment, despite it being a dire one. For better or worse, DCI made a strategic decision to align themselves with the marching band community early on. It is imperative that this stategy results in former participants ( a dwindling pool now to be sure ) continue to remain involved in the activity at some level, ie volunteering, instruction, financing, fund raising, etc and so forth. Otherwise, the the lit torch that has been handed to them by previous generations will burn out for good on Drum Corps.

Edited by BRASSO

Logically, one would think you need to go back to what did work as opposed to moving even further away

‘evolution’ and ‘innovation’ are the buzz words of faith in this activity, all rather meaningless except to push a rather specific agenda, it’s politically framed language that’s become code and therefore, again, rather meaningless on it’s own

It's not [iNSERT DECADE YOU THINK DRUM CORPS WAS GOOD HERE] anymore. Maybe we should do some things like we did before. Maybe we should do other things we've never done before. Those decisions need to be made with the current context of the activity in mind. The current cultural climate. The current economy. The current expectations of potential performers. The current expectations of potential audiences. Etc.

Just because it worked in [DECADE] doesn't mean it would work today. That's a faulty assumption based on nostalgia.

• Like 3

Just because it worked in [DECADE] doesn't mean it would work today. That's a faulty assumption based on nostalgia.

I agree. Its impossible to replicate earlier decades Drum Corps, as the current instrumentation alone makes it impossible for this reason alone. So Its out of the question we should all be able to agree upon it seems to me.

Edited by BRASSO

if it wasn't in the proposal, I do believe it was in the articles that followed up showing the rationale for them. as I do not have copies of the proposals anymore, I can't remember. I do remember the interview that ran on DCI's site from corps directors stating they had no idea how the amplification stuff worked, but they voted for it. that was hysterical

Well, if it was just in 'talk' on the forums and not in the proposals, then it was not a claim by the author(s) of those proposals, so it isn't fair to make claims that were not ever a part of what was written. Talk by people on DCP/RAMD is just that....talk. As for the directors voting..why should a director have to know the nuts and bolts of how amps work? That is what the staffs are for.

• Like 1

and that's just it...I don't see the efforts to replace whats left and leaving. I don't see the diehard passion in the new blood coming in to continue to go to show after show, year after year. Granted the way the tour is laid out now, you don't have that option to see a lot of shows. Take out the 1 i miss every year because of vacation, I really have two options for a show within a 90 minute drive every year. if i stretch to 2 and a half hours, I can get in 2 more. I used to be able to hit 8 shows just for DCI alone within that distance 15 years ago.

That is part of the the focus on scholastic musicians..to replace those who leave, and then hopefully expand the annual attendance. DCI is doing OK...but IMO they can do more to reach a wider group of that potential audience. I don't think there will ever be the hardcore audience that existed in the past. But...with the potential for audience in band programs, that audience is a constantly evolving set of kids. DCI has to adjust to the times, and with fewer corps, the chance of creating a large body of hardcore fans is far less than back in the day. They need to continue to attract and hopefully expand on the busloads of band kids.

• Like 1

Not tried correctly, nor tried with the vigor of pounding the pavement, burning the midnight oil, nor pushing through the word 'no' being thrown down hundreds of times. Honda was somehow convinced to fully corporate sponsor the Battle of the Bands which now packs the pro stadium to overflow.

IMO Honda is sponsoring the BOTB for more than the musical reasons...it is as much for the social aspect as anything. from their website:

"The Honda Battle of the Bands was created to celebrate, support and recognize the excellence of Black college marching bands and the unique academic experience offered by Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs). Honda annually awards more than $205,000 in grants to participating marching bands during the program period. Honda Battle of the Bands is in its 12th year and we look forward to many more."

http://hondabattleofthebands.com/event-info.php?page=about

personally I dont think you will ever see the real long term die hard any more...we were brought up in the activity and had little else..kids today are very different with alot more choices as well as pressures

and that's where I see a huge problem

hs bands are much bigger than dci.......................drum corps cant give anything back in way of revenue or even publicity........what a few thousand kids verses many many thousand cross country in maybe thusands of HS bands....were way to small to make a difference...........its not good enough now a days.............even old sponsors ..like disney who really gets the magic music days and still supports the bands ALOT stopped alot for drum corps.........not much came back to them....this I know for a fact..I had alot to do with magic music days

we are very very small

and not tax payer funded. thats why scholastic is loved, and independent isn't. but DCI's never going to tap into the tax payers funds no matter how hard they try

Well, if it was just in 'talk' on the forums and not in the proposals, then it was not a claim by the author(s) of those proposals, so it isn't fair to make claims that were not ever a part of what was written. Talk by people on DCP/RAMD is just that....talk. As for the directors voting..why should a director have to know the nuts and bolts of how amps work? That is what the staffs are for.

actually i'm pretty sure Hop has been putspoken in his belief on all of these changes and what they would deliver.

actually i'm pretty sure Hop has been putspoken in his belief on all of these changes and what they would deliver.

Even if true, that is still one person talking...not what was contained in the proposals themselves that were voted by the BOD.