Montoya’s Murfreesboro Madness!!!

Yes, the new ending is very effective. It's simply genius. I love it. And the cool part is that you recognize it when you see it. Everyone around me was thinking WHOA! It's a great ending to a wonderful show.

www.axe-adams.com

B)

i concur. the ending is very effective. it ends with a tonic note played on a crotale. me thinks that I remember its gonna change..not sure.

I really don't mean anything when I say SCV won't go past 5th at Finals. I know its just an honor to be there, but still, it was just MHO. What's wrong with me saying they won't go below 4th? Is it b/c that would push The Cadets to 5th?

...and not to beat a dead horse, but tell me, how many people wore the US shirts, sang God Bless America, wore pins, and did patriotic band shows before 9/11?

anywho, good stuff. loved the shows. can't wait till finals...I got some killer seats!!

...and not to beat a dead horse, but tell me, how many people wore the US shirts, sang God Bless America, wore pins, and did patriotic band shows before 9/11?

Probably the vast majority of Americans weren't sporting USA shirts or pins prior to 9/11. Why would we. We were fat, dumb and happy thinking we were exempt from the troubles abroad. When 9/11 took place many of us got a wake up call. My son joined the USAF because of 9/11 does that mean he is explioiting the tradgedy? I think many Americans realized how important our country is and the freedoms and liberties we took for granted all of a sudden came under attack. Probably the same thing happened during WWII.

As for the Cadets, (and be sure not to mention BAC) from what I understand Hop encouraged all corps to do a patriotic theme. If that is true, it would seem to me that it truly was a tribute. I am sorry your Dad felt so offended, my brother also served in Vietnem and unfortunately they were treated very badly by many Americans and this could explain the suspicious attitude towards the Cadets show.

BTW...Thanks for a great review! :)

For every person that thought that the cadets show was " exploitive " last year there were hundreds that thought this New Jersey based corps that practices within eyesight of the ground zero area that used to house the Twin Towers, had just the perfect blend of respect and admiration in their patriotic theme based show. I am a veteran, and all the veterans and their families and friends ( about 200 or so )that gathered last year at the American Legion Post in Beverly Mass, after the Beverly Cardinals Alumni sponsored DCI Drum Corps show (many of whom marched drum corps ) loved the Cadets show to a person. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Edited by starting line

i really didn't mean to make this review into a Veterans/Cadets issue. I was using his comment to show how some may have felt about the show. I am sure this topic has been beaten down time and time again. I am sorry for even bringing it up again. To all those that may have been offended by my comments, I apologize. I know the feelings of anger, frustration, and sadness felt after 9/11. I remember having urges myself to want to "get" those who were responsible. You are right about taking things for granted, as I am guilty of that myself (though I don't think I am fat or dumb :) .

I was merely trying to show that I didn't like last years show, and contrast it with how I felt this one was more to my liking...with some negatives of course.

Thanks for reading. I will choose my wording more carefully next time.

As for the Cadets, (and be sure not to mention BAC) from what I understand Hop encouraged all corps to do a patriotic theme.

To me, there was a huge difference between those two shows. Boston didn't have their guard in firefighter suits, they didn't have the 9-11 pose and they certainly didn't have a pledge. Boston's show was patiotic, but it didn't go too far "out there" patriotic wise as CBC's show did.

ok SCV i will agree on one point - the pledge. The firefighters/9/11 pose was on finals night only. No other show had that part.

The pledge just happened to come under attack during the season and they capitalized on it. It did fit right into their show though. :P

And I wasnt flaming BAC, I loved their show, it just seems that no matter what the Cadets do they are criticized. Even when other corps are doing the same thing.

Case in point. Last week the Cadets were raked over the coals for sending an email asking for a vote to perform last in Murfreesboro. Come to find out many corps were doing similar things.

I don't want to argue about this, I happen to like all of the corps. The Cadets bashing just seems to know no end. b**bs

And I wasnt flaming BAC, I loved their show, it just seems that no matter what the Cadets do they are criticized. Even when other corps are doing the same thing.

We are having a discussion over in Off Topic land about a similar situation in politics and I thought i could make a connection...

During the war to liberate Iraq, many ppl protested and voiced their opinion of outrage. Now, the US sets it's sights on doing the same in Liberia yet there is nowhere near as much protest. Why? The same can be said of Cadets. They do something, it's repetivitive, old news, scandalice, exploitative, but when other corps do the same things, not too much is said. Funny. The Cadets could put on the absolute best show in the history of drum corps. It could be so good that they score above a 100. There would be ppl who would hate it simply b/c it was The Cadets. They would hate it even if they loved it. It's not the shows the ppl hate, it's the Cadets plain and simple and that is just sad.

back to the orig. post though, I can see what you're saying. You didn't liek the show. That's cool. I know you didn't mean harm and I probably took things out of proportion. Let's just focus on this yr and what amazing shows we have!

www.axe-adams.com

B)

Excellent review, Daniel -- despite some unoriginal opinions...

(I'm allowed to flame the reviewer, I'm the brother he mentioned)

Anyway, I agree that there are some people who seem to not like the Cadets, just because they're the Cadets, and George Hopkins is their director...(I started a whole thread about this issue -- which was misinterpreted to be BAC- bashing)

However, I have to say the Cadets are not the only victims..(being a Cavalier), I find myself especially aware of the various people who think the Cavaliers can do absolutely no good. I'm sure the same goes for most of the corps.

Oh well, I guess the best we can do, is feel sorry for those who can't keep an open mind, while continuously striving to be better than those who insist on forcing their beliefs on us. (Opinions is one thing...)

Peace.