The National Anthem at DCI shows

Rant on!

http://deadspin.com/the-national-anthem-should-be-played-with-instruments-m-1499729678?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

So this post on FB got me thinking about one of my pet peeves.

Singing the National Anthem at DCI and DCA shows.

No disrespect to the great fine youth out there that have great talents to sing the National Anthem at our DCI shows but for christ sakes this is a Drum and last time I checked a brass orientated medium we launch. Why in the world do they insist on sending out someone to SING the National Anthem when we have such talented musicians to perform it?

Rant off!

Edited by camel lips
  • Like 1

In this 'modern age' of 'artistic' drum corps I a surprised that we have not heard a vocalized Philip Glass type version ran through an electronic voice manipulator and mixed through amps. :tounge2:

Don't give them any ideas :silly:

Ive heard it argued that DCI has a hard time finding people that they can count on at each venue to do the Nation Anthem so they look for volunteers that are willing to Sing it. Not sure if that is true or not.

I like the Volunteer angle as stated above. Im willing to bet there are enough age outs out there that a schedule and roster with a back up list could be created with minimal effort on the part of DCI organizers to get the job done.

Also with the number of DCA and SDCA corps out there with some joint co-operation I am sure those corps would love the exposure and performance opportunities.

Really ?!?!?

Yes Really. I mean if professional sports are looking at hiring trumpet players to play the Nation Anthem...What is that saying about our activity that can't scrape together a single trumpet player to play the National Anthem at a DCI show?

The Kilties have (and have had for quite some time) a special small brass ensemble that not only performs the SSB at our home show (Kiltie Klassic) every season but also at local semi pro football games (when the corps performs at the game's 1/2 time). Members volunteer to be part of the ensemble.

Yes Really. I mean if professional sports are looking at hiring trumpet players to play the Nation Anthem...What is that saying about our activity that can't scrape together a single trumpet player to play the National Anthem at a DCI show?

What is more sad is that the Military has such a hard time finding trumpet players to play Taps at funerals they are resorting to recordings; and even going so far as having faux players holding a trumpet to their faces with the speaker embedded in the bell of the trumpet.

Isn't that sort of thing up to the show host to determine/work out logistically? I haven't attended Finals live in awhile, so I'm not sure what DCI does for their own shows, but I thought all of the local shows were up to the show host to get someone to sing the anthem.

I personally have zero problems with people singing instead of a brass ensemble playing the Anthem: as long as it's done respectively, and well, I could care less if it's sung or played. That trumpet player at the Panthers game was off the hook playing it, but a singer being just as respectful of the song and performing well would've been just as incredible

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Opelika (AL) show last summer had the National Anthem played by a brass quintet (Spirit alums?).