The National Anthem at DCI shows

Isn't that sort of thing up to the show host to determine/work out logistically? I haven't attended Finals live in awhile, so I'm not sure what DCI does for their own shows, but I thought all of the local shows were up to the show host to get someone to sing the anthem.

I personally have zero problems with people singing instead of a brass ensemble playing the Anthem: as long as it's done respectively, and well, I could care less if it's sung or played. That trumpet player at the Panthers game was off the hook playing it, but a singer being just as respectful of the song and performing well would've been just as incredible

To me this is not about disrespecting singers or singing the National Anthem at DCI events. Nor is it about dishing out on the DCI show venues that use singers. It is more along the lines of continuity; like this example: It would be rather odd for sponsors of a national touring 'choir competition' to mainly secure brass players to perform the National Anthem when the contest organizers have at their disposal excellent singers to perform.

To me this is not about disrespecting singers or singing the National Anthem at DCI events. Nor is it about dishing out on the DCI show venues that use singers. It is more along the lines of continuity; like this example: It would be rather odd for sponsors of a national touring 'choir competition' to mainly secure brass players to perform the National Anthem when the contest organizers have at their disposal excellent singers to perform.

I understand that, but I understand why DCI leaves that up to show hosts to figure out what works best for them. Short of "assigning" corps to be on "Anthem Duty" or something, the only other solution for continuity would be playing a recording of the Banner. If it's between recording or live performance (singer, brass, percussion ensemble, whatever), I'd prefer liver performance. A good friend of mine has season tickets to the local MLB team, and their Banner performance before every game is different: sometimes pipe organ, sometimes recording, sometimes singer, sometimes musician, sometimes full band. As long as the Banner is played at shows I personally don't care if it's performed by brass ensemble or singer.

Nice topic, funny that DCI posted the same video on their Facebook page yesterday :

Great national anthem! Tag Drum Corps International in a video of you playing your country's anthem and we'll share the best ones. Let's show the world how much talent we have out there."

EXACTLY!

At last July's Michigan City IN show, the full Michigan City High School band performed the Anthem in block formation. They have been performing the Anthem for many years at this Independence Day Weekend show. What made last July's performance even more wonderful is that the Stars and Stripes was raised up its endzone mast during the music. Very stirring.

I enjoy the spectrum of National Anthem performances in Allentown. Sometimes it is a DCI vocalist. Other times, a small group of DCI musicians.

America is Brasso, Garfield, and Granny. America is Stu, Mike Boo, and you.

America is made up of many individuals, with many beliefs, and many tastes. As long as there is respect and dignity during the Anthem, I invite any musical performance to pay tribute to the Stars and Stripes.

• Like 1

One of the best I've heard at a DCI show was at Atlanta in 2010 when they did a full retreat for the evening show and had Blue Stars drum major Zach Ashcraft play the National Anthem.

Zach was great and it was great to feature a performer from that evening's show.

Small ensembles are great too. Check these guys out:

http://youtu.be/bWObswAeda8

Edited by Scooter Pirtle

Nice topic, funny that DCI posted the same video on their Facebook page yesterday :

Great national anthem! Tag Drum Corps International in a video of you playing your country's anthem and we'll share the best ones. Let's show the world how much talent we have out there."

While a lot of my friends posted about the performance, DCI posting it on their Facebook page is what actually made me think, "alright I'll check it out." I missed it live and figured it DCI was going to hype it up I owe it to myself to click the link

• Like 1