The National Anthem at DCI shows

None of the above have anything to do with DCI mandating that every corps must have an American section on the field, which has not been required since 1971.

I never stated DCI should or should not mandate every corps to Present The Colors. What I was pointing out to you was that standing guard with The Colors is 'not a total waste of time' but a well-respected assignment, and that there are many things which are mandated that actually 'do elicit honor' (by the way, the personnel who Present The Colors is officially called an Honor Guard).

Edited by Stu

One of the beauties of our country is that we have the right to free expression whereas the right 'not' to be offended by that free expression is nowhere to be found in our Constitution. I respect your right to free expression, but just note that the offense to me, and especilly to those who died to protect this particular free expression view of yours is rather overwhelming.

I'm not losing sleep over it.

I realize I'm in the small minority in my opinion. But I have always thought the playing of the National Anthem before sporting events is a waste of time, unnecessary and very ritualistic.

I'm not losing sleep over it.

I realize I'm in the small minority in my opinion. But I have always thought the playing of the National Anthem before sporting events is a waste of time, unnecessary and very ritualistic.

And all I am saying is that the singing or playing of National Anthem, as well as reciting the Pledge, 'at any event’ actually honors those who gave their lives to keep secure the right for you to voice your opinion and thus is not a waste of time.

I have no issue with the National Anthem (except the part about bombs and war). It has no place at sporting events.

Remember back in the day when the anthem was played in movie theaters? Luckily, people eventually thought that was stupid. I hope, one day, organized sports will do the same.

I have no issue with the National Anthem (except the part about bombs and war). It has no place at sporting events.

Remember back in the day when the anthem was played in movie theaters? Luckily, people eventually thought that was stupid. I hope, one day, organized sports will do the same.

You apparently do not understand that those 'bombs and war' lighting up the night to reveal the Flag was still standing at Fort McHenry actually preserved your right to free expression, and preserved the ability for people to attend sporting events in the United States. Here is the entire poem written by Francis Scott Key:

Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light

What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?

Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,

O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?

And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,

Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.

Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,

Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,

What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,

As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?

Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,

In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:

'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh long may it wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore

That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,

A home and a country should leave us no more!

Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.

No refuge could save the hireling and slave

From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand

Between their loved home and the war's desolation!

Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land

Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.

Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,

And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."

And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

And long may the Sons of Anacreon intwine

The Myrtle of Venus with Bacchus's Vine.

I never stated DCI should or should not mandate every corps to Present The Colors. What I was pointing out to you was that standing guard with The Colors is 'not a total waste of time' but a well-respected assignment, and that there are many things which are mandated that actually 'do elicit honor' (by the way, the personnel who Present The Colors is officially called an Honor Guard).

THIS is the post I responded, from Grumpy...

"I really wish DCI corps would include an American flag section in their field show much the same as most DCA corps. I see no reason why our flag shouldn't be on the field for each corps' performance."

My response is 100% about the above as it relates to drum corps. Period.

THIS is the post I responded, from Grumpy...

"I really wish DCI corps would include an American flag section in their field show much the same as most DCA corps. I see no reason why our flag shouldn't be on the field for each corps' performance."

My response is 100% about the above as it relates to drum corps. Period.

Let’s re-evaluate the ‘direct’ exchanges between just us two shall we:

My post #41 (in which I posed a 'direct' question to you): “So, a person standing strong to honor their country is a waste of time?”

Your post #42 (which was a 'direct' response to my post): “Yes, standing there doing nothing is a total waste of time, talent and money, because doing something you are mandated to do is not ‘honoring the country’".

My post #44 (in 'direct' response to your post): a) Standing proudly or doing very simple tasks are a total waste of time? Hmmm, try telling that to the military personnel ‘honoring’… b) A child is 'mandated' to do things by parents. And when the child willingly does those mandated tasks the ‘honor thy Father and Mother’… c) Drum corps youth are 'mandated' to perform many tasks every day by their staff, such as picking up trash and that ‘honors’… etc…"

Your post #50 (in 'direct' response to my post): “None of the above have anything to do with DCI mandating that every corps must have an American section on the field, which has not been required since 1971.”

My post #51 (in 'direct' response to your post): “I never stated DCI should or should not mandate every corps to Present The Colors. What I was pointing out to you was that standing guard with The Colors is 'not a total waste of time' but a well-respected assignment, and that there are many things which are mandated that actually 'do elicit honor' (by the way, the personnel who Present The Colors is officially called an Honor Guard).”

Let’s re-evaluate the ‘direct’ exchanges between just us two shall we:

My post #41 (in which I posed a 'direct' question to you): “So, a person standing strong to honor their country is a waste of time?”

Your post #42 (which was a 'direct' response to my post): “Yes, standing there doing nothing is a total waste of time, talent and money, because doing something you are mandated to do is not ‘honoring the country’".

My post #44 (in 'direct' response to your post): a) Standing proudly or doing very simple tasks are a total waste of time? Hmmm, try telling that to the military personnel ‘honoring’… b) A child is 'mandated' to do things by parents. And when the child willingly does those mandated tasks the ‘honor thy Father and Mother’… c) Drum corps youth are 'mandated' to perform many tasks every day by their staff, such as picking up trash and that ‘honors’… etc…"

Your post #50 (in 'direct' response to my post): “None of the above have anything to do with DCI mandating that every corps must have an American section on the field, which has not been required since 1971.”

My post #51 (in 'direct' response to your post): “I never stated DCI should or should not mandate every corps to Present The Colors. What I was pointing out to you was that standing guard with The Colors is 'not a total waste of time' but a well-respected assignment, and that there are many things which are mandated that actually 'do elicit honor' (by the way, the personnel who Present The Colors is officially called an Honor Guard).”

And your point is? You seem to have gone careening down this road to nowhere. The discussion is about drum corps. YOU brought up all sorts of extraneous items that have zero to do with drum corps. That is ALL I am talking about, not these totally irrelevant examples. If you meant your post #42 to represent anything outside of drum corps...that is not how I took it.

Edited by MikeD