The National Anthem at DCI shows

I agree that doing charitable work for Veterans is a deep form of respect; words need to be accompanied with deeds. But for you to summarily dismiss the standing for the National Anthem, the Pledge, or the Presentation of Colors as a mere cultural norm that does nothing is, to me, a grave insult to the child or adult who stands, places his or her hand over their heart, and does this in the honor and respect of a loved one who died for this nation. It also implies that you think that each and every citizen does not show respect by using that time to reflect on those sacrifices and thank our Creator as we stand and engage in the process.

I think that those who stand up, remove their hats, and manage to keep their mouths shut during the playing of the national anthem, and then feel smugly self-satisfied that they did their part to show deep respect for the sacrifices of others, have actually done nothing. So trying to add some great meaning to this seems wrong. Yeah, you stand because that's what's expected. And you should. But if that's all you do to honor America, I don't have any respect for that. And by "you" I don't mean you Stu or anyone else on this forum. Edited by HockeyDad

I think that those who stand up, remove their hats, and manage to keep their mouths shut during the playing of the national anthem, and then feel smugly self-satisfied that they did their part to show deep respect for the sacrifices of others, have actually done nothing. So trying to add some great meaning to this seems wrong. Yeah, you stand because that's what's expected. And you should. But if that's all you do to honor America, I don't have any respect for that. And by "you" I don't mean you Stu or anyone else on this forum.

You think that you are exempting all of us here on DCP but you are not, and here is why: If all of us, many who have no photo on DCP and most whom you have never met so you would not recognize us, if all of us were at an event and were requested to stand for the National Anthem you would look around at all of us and automatically hold the opinion, "Just look at all of these people who are standing up, removing their hats, and managing to keep their mouths shut during the playing of the National Anthem, and they are feeling smugly self-satisfied that they are doing their part to show deep respect for the sacrifices of others". Well sir, that generalized belief in of itself is rather smug and also jaded; I pray that I never become that cynical toward most other Americans.

Edited by Stu

You think that you are exempting all of us here on DCP but you are not, and here is why: If all of us, many who have no photo on DCP and most whom you have never met so you would not recognize us, if all of us were at an event and were requested to stand for the National Anthem you would look around at all of us and automatically hold the opinion, "Just look at all of these people who are standing up, removing their hats, and managing to keep their mouths shut during the playing of the National Anthem, and they are feeling smugly self-satisfied that they are doing their part to show deep respect for the sacrifices of others". Well sir, that generalized belief in of itself is rather smug and also jaded; I pray that I never become that cynical toward most other Americans.

You've done a good job of missing my point. Carry on.

You've done a good job of missing my point. Carry on.

I did get your point which was that, to you, while we should stand during the National Anthem a person who engages in action to help Vets is showing ‘deeper’ respect than a person who stands for the National Anthem, the Pledge, or the Presentation of Colors. By the way, I agree with you in so far as respect via action is deeper than standing dutifully in respect. However in both your post #66, and especially in your post #71, you went way, way beyond those statements. The bulk of those two postings of yours indicated that you also believe many, if not most, people in America are so uncaring that they feel smug and self-righteous while standing for the National Anthem. You do not know these people, nor do you know their hearts and minds, nor do you know what they have or have not done for this Country. So when you summarily judge their intentions in such a generalized manner, as they stand up showing their respect, indicates to me how jaded you appear to be toward many other Americans.